Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-03-2015, 11:10 AM   #1

k-3 First Impressions

I've been a bit naughty and given in to my urge to buy new gear and rejigging my equipment (currently k-30, X100 and X-A1). They all have different uses as such, but I've been wanting to move towards a k-3 + micro four thirds (gx-7) set up.

Why did I feel a need to upgrade my k-30? I do like the idea of a bit more resolution, but what really drove me to get a k-3 is more to do with the controls (independant af-l and ae-l), faster screwdrive motor, smaller focus points and better low light focusing....

Well, I've just received my "new" pre owned k-3. Holy smoke does it feel fast. I'm really impressed with the camer. I was expecting it to be a bit bigger than my k-30 but the size difference isn't noticeable. I will say it doesn't quite feel as comfy in hand, but that might be just cos it's different. It's a little crazy, but I'm super excited with the focus point selection button (didn't realise it had one) and the depth of field check on the power button (I never used this on my k-30 as the raw/fx button was set for focus point selection). There are a few niggles: I kind of like how the k-30 handles selecting ISO (i.e. takes you to a menu where you can quickly select iso, or switch to auto iso and rapidly select iso range). But other than that I so far pretty blown away. The shutter sounds so much nicer too....

12-03-2015, 11:19 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DanGleabols Quote
... (i.e. takes you to a menu where you can quickly select iso, or switch to auto iso and rapidly select iso range). ...
Glad you like the k-3, I don't have the k-30 so I can't tell the difference... but in the k-3, just two finger controls (thumb on rear dial and index finger in ISO button) allow you to change ISO while looking through the viewfinder is far better than going through the menu. Enjoy your new toy...
12-03-2015, 11:23 AM   #3

It feels good doesn't it?! I've just gone from a reliable old K-7 of many years to a K3ii and the 16-85 - so I'm a similar boat to you. The autofocus is a huge upgrade for me, although I suppose I could say that about pretty much every aspect to the camera... The low light performance (focus, image quality) is what swayed me in the end. Fantastic first impressions.
12-03-2015, 12:07 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Make sure you have some fast memory cards to work with your faster camera. When I upgraded to a K-3, I gave all my 30 mb/s Sandisk cards to my husband (who has a k-30 and K-5iis) and got 80s and 90s for myself. It made a big difference.

12-03-2015, 12:25 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

White balance

One feature that does not get much attention is the mixed light white balance setting. Shooting mostly weddings this has save me so much post time that the camera has paid for itself. K30 is a great camera. K3 is even better.
12-03-2015, 12:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Moving back to a DSLR after having the Fuji X-T1 was a revelation. I loved the EVF of the X-T1, but i never liked the button placement and the way they implemented AE-L and AF-L was a travesty.
Glad you like the camera My K-3II feels like an extension of my hand.
12-03-2015, 12:30 PM   #7
Pentaxian

It seems like a couple of years ago now, I pre-ordered mine, but I still remember the day it arrived, clear as a bell. I'd been in a store a few days earlier trying out a D610 with an 80mm 1.4 on it. The speed of AF on the D610 impressed me. SO I put the Tammy 90mm on the K-3 to try out the AF, and it was every bit as speedy. I was so totally impressed.

Last edited by normhead; 12-03-2015 at 01:08 PM.
12-03-2015, 01:01 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
I personnaly own the K-30 and I agree with you, one of the reasons pushing me to upgrade is the low light AF. The last summer I was the photographer of my cousin's wedding and the low light focusing was really annoying ! With the k-3, is the focusing very fast in low light, or just struggling less than the k30 ?
12-03-2015, 01:23 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by iss2012 Quote
I personnaly own the K-30 and I agree with you, one of the reasons pushing me to upgrade is the low light AF. The last summer I was the photographer of my cousin's wedding and the low light focusing was really annoying ! With the k-3, is the focusing very fast in low light, or just struggling less than the k30 ?
I'd like to start off by saying I don't believe the k30 is terrible in low light- it's far better than a lot of cameras I've used, but good technique is needed. The k-3 is much faster in low light and acquires focus where the k-30 would just hunt.

---------- Post added 3rd Dec 2015 at 20:34 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Glad you like the k-3, I don't have the k-30 so I can't tell the difference... but in the k-3, just two finger controls (thumb on rear dial and index finger in ISO button) allow you to change ISO while looking through the viewfinder is far better than going through the menu. Enjoy your new toy...
I can see the whole holding a button and spinning a dial to change certain settings will be swifter when I'm used to it, but at the moment it feels a bit unatural!
12-03-2015, 03:20 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been a bit naughty and given in to my urge to buy new gear and rejigging my equipment (currently k-30, X100 and X-A1). They all have different uses as such, but I've been wanting to move towards a k-3 + micro four thirds (gx-7) set up.

Why did I feel a need to upgrade my k-30? I do like the idea of a bit more resolution, but what really drove me to get a k-3 is more to do with the controls (independant af-l and ae-l), faster screwdrive motor, smaller focus points and better low light focusing....

Well, I've just received my "new" pre owned k-3. Holy smoke does it feel fast. I'm really impressed with the camer. I was expecting it to be a bit bigger than my k-30 but the size difference isn't noticeable. I will say it doesn't quite feel as comfy in hand, but that might be just cos it's different. It's a little crazy, but I'm super excited with the focus point selection button (didn't realise it had one) and the depth of field check on the power button (I never used this on my k-30 as the raw/fx button was set for focus point selection). There are a few niggles: I kind of like how the k-30 handles selecting ISO (i.e. takes you to a menu where you can quickly select iso, or switch to auto iso and rapidly select iso range). But other than that I so far pretty blown away. The shutter sounds so much nicer too....
The K-3 is really a wonderful camera system. I just received mine less than 2 week ago, so I am still in the get acquainted mode versus my previous K-10D, which has served me well over the last few years. The ISO difference is significant, focus is fast, motion picture capability, 2 card slots, plus a host of other improvements make the camera more than competitive with Canon and Nikon. Along with the camera I also treated myself to a new Sigma 18-250mm DC Macro lens, which I am going to experiment with this weekend at Butterfly Wonderland here in Scottsdale, AZ. Have fun with your new K-3!!!
12-04-2015, 01:23 AM   #11

I received mine K3 Prestige Edition 10 days ago and still learning the system. I have to say that K3 is probably the most satisfying camera I have ever had (except Minolta dynax 600si I had many yers ago) but I have a feeling that pictures are slightly overexposed (noticable during nightime photoshooting sessions).
Generally speaking great camera producing great pictures.
12-04-2015, 03:24 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd like to start off by saying I don't believe the k30 is terrible in low light- it's far better than a lot of cameras I've used, but good technique is needed. The k-3 is much faster in low light and acquires focus where the k-30 would just hunt.

---------- Post added 3rd Dec 2015 at 20:34 ----------

I can see the whole holding a button and spinning a dial to change certain settings will be swifter when I'm used to it, but at the moment it feels a bit unatural!
Just so you know, you don't have to hold the button. Tap the iso button, spin the dial and tap the iso button again. If you want to return to auto iso, hit the iso and green button together.
12-04-2015, 03:27 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The shutter sounds so much nicer too....
Is it noticeably quieter than the K30 ?
12-04-2015, 05:32 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
Is it noticeably quieter than the K30 ?

Hrmmm, firing them off side by side; yes definitely. It's also more of a refined "thud" than the k30's more jarring "crack". I've never had the pleasure of using any of the k-5 series, but I believe they are quieter still.

I was surprised about how little difference there is in size. Technically it is bigger, but putting them side by side you wouldn't notice. I do notice the added weight though. I'm still finding the k-30 more comfortable, but I strongly suspect the fact I've been playing with it for the past 2 years and only had the k-3 for a day maybe responsible for that.
12-04-2015, 05:53 AM   #15
Pentaxian

The K-5II and the K-3II have quiet shutters and both produce great images. I've held a k-30 years back and I think it's a little smaller than the K-5II and the K-3II. But yes, I think it's much lighter considering the K-3/II are magnesium alloy bodies.