Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2015, 02:50 PM   #1

"Shutter" sticking and focus issue.

My K-3 is almost two years old and has recently begun having what I like to call a "sticky" shutter. I always use selective focus so that I can choose where the focus belongs and that has become a huge issue. The focus seems to have shifted.
My shutter count is almost 130,000. I'd like to ask adivice.
Would you
A. Send it in for repair at a minimum cost from precision camera of $306.
B. Purchase a brand new K-3 from B & H for $649 ( with a free flash) or
C. Upgrade to the K 3II

I can see advantages of all three solutions.

If you have a K 3 or K3II I'd love to hear your opionion.
Thanks

12-08-2015, 03:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you repaired it, there are still other components that have 130k actuations on them which could fail. If you liked it I would just get a new K3 since 130k indicates it was a rather durable camera.
12-08-2015, 05:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I would get a new camera, pretty much what stillshot2 said.
12-08-2015, 06:22 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DawnHoweth Quote
My K-3 is almost two years old and has recently begun having what I like to call a "sticky" shutter. I always use selective focus so that I can choose where the focus belongs and that has become a huge issue. The focus seems to have shifted.
Hi Dawn, Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

I don't know what "sticky" or "shifted" mean, but if your camera is no longer operating properly repair may well be an option. Whether it is a good option depends on what problems they find and the cost to fix. Based on your description, it may be that only a cleaning and minor repairs may be needed. It is also possible that they might not be able to find the problems and apply an easy fix. The current pricing on both the K-3 and K-3II makes replacement a very attractive option. Since you use your gear professionally, you might want to contact your tax accountant regarding the +/- of replacing a partially depreciated body versus servicing such.

Steve

12-08-2015, 06:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DawnHoweth Quote
My shutter count is almost 130,000. I'd like to ask adivice.
Would you
A. Send it in for repair at a minimum cost from precision camera of $306.
B. Purchase a brand new K-3 from B & H for $649 ( with a free flash) or
C. Upgrade to the K 3II

I can see advantages of all three solutions.

If you have a K 3 or K3II I'd love to hear your opionion.
Thanks

If the new K3 was $1200+ I'd get your old one repaired.

At $649, new, it's a no brainer.

You can also get a K3II for $759, and that decision is up to you... either has merit and you can't go wrong.

Landscapes I'd go K3II for the pixel shift and astro tracer, K3 if you use the pop up flash all the time. (I went K3II because I need the Pixel Shift and I already have a K5IIs with pop up flash.)
12-09-2015, 12:01 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think Stillshot2 pretty much summed it up. But another option would be to pick up an inexpensive K-50, at less than the repair cost of the K3, and "suffer" through until the the FF hit the market, and then upgrade.
12-09-2015, 04:34 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Isn't that more than the shutter's nominal rated life? Or is the K3 rated for 200,000? I can't remember. In any case, 100,000 in two years is ten times more shots than I've managed in four. I need to take more pictures...

In any case, with usage like that you've pretty much justified a new camera. What david94903 said has merit, provided the K50 can do what you need it to do. Meanwhile, even if you get it repaired, don't you need something extra to see you through? What is your backup camera, if you have one?

12-09-2015, 04:59 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Isn't that more than the shutter's nominal rated life? Or is the K3 rated for 200,000? I can't remember. In any case, 100,000 in two years is ten times more shots than I've managed in four. I need to take more pictures...

In any case, with usage like that you've pretty much justified a new camera. What david94903 said has merit, provided the K50 can do what you need it to do. Meanwhile, even if you get it repaired, don't you need something extra to see you through? What is your backup camera, if you have one?

If my memory serves me correctly I think the K-3 is rated by Ricoh for 200,000 shutter actuations. Non the less, I would buy a new K-3 or K-3II especially since you earn money with it.

Larry
12-10-2015, 04:23 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote

I have a K-7 I can use for back up.

---------- Post added 12-10-15 at 06:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
If my memory serves me correctly I think the K-3 is rated by Ricoh for 200,000 shutter actuations. Non the less, I would buy a new K-3 or K-3II especially since you earn money with it.

Larry
Thank you. I'm pretty sure I'm going with the same model I have. I don't use the pop up flash very often, but I'd like to have it if needed.