Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2015, 04:29 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-3 II Battery grip showing no battery?

The battery grip buttons work fine, but shows no battery in the K-3 II's battery menu (the battery is crossed out). The batteries are charged and working. This started happening today after I accidentally took out the battery while the K-3 II was on... but I'm sure the camera has a failsafe for this. It shouldn't cause it to malfunction like this, should it?
I tired removing the batteries, but other than that I'm at a loss... The camera works fine with the internal battery, but not the grip anymore.
Any idea what could be the problem?

12-20-2015, 04:33 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps you put in the battery backwards? The grip tray does physically allow for this, and it's gotten me a few times.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-20-2015, 04:38 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Perhaps you put in the battery backwards? The grip tray does physically allow for this, and it's gotten me a few times.
Nope. Checked.
12-20-2015, 05:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It happened to me last spring when I charged batteries and put them in while the camera was turned on it would show in the menu that they were dead. I would turn the camera off & on they would show on after a short wait. These batteries were`` ACME Dynamite and Battery Co China Ltd ``( Wiley Coyote`s Supplier).
After 4 or 5 times doing this it just started to work over time I didnt do anything special and to this day they are working fine. I just wonder because they were Brand X that the camera had trouble recognizing them at first and then finally gave them a pass.

12-20-2015, 05:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

My k5 does this too. Recognizes Pentax battery not aftermarket. On the add on grip.
12-20-2015, 06:34 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
It happened to me last spring when I charged batteries and put them in while the camera was turned on it would show in the menu that they were dead. I would turn the camera off & on they would show on after a short wait. These batteries were`` ACME Dynamite and Battery Co China Ltd ``( Wiley Coyote`s Supplier).
After 4 or 5 times doing this it just started to work over time I didnt do anything special and to this day they are working fine. I just wonder because they were Brand X that the camera had trouble recognizing them at first and then finally gave them a pass.
Unfortunately, I have 3 original K-3 batteries and they worked fine, in both the grip and camera for months. It was only after today's little incident (not even sure that was the reason, but probably) that the K-3 II battery grip shows as no battery. I it's been on for hours now, but still not working. I'm affraid this is probably a different issue.

QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
My k5 does this too. Recognizes Pentax battery not aftermarket. On the add on grip.
The batteries are all original Pentax, only the grip is 3rd party, but it was working fine for months.
I'm just hoping this is indeed a problem with the grip, and not the K-3 II, because other than the K-3 II not seeing the battery, the grip works fine. So the connection is working.
But seriously, if removing the battery can cause damage to the camera, that's a serious design flaw.
12-20-2015, 06:55 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't have a K3 or a grip but just for the fun of it, try removing the grip, turn the camera on like you are going to use it, turn it off and replace the grip with the battery in the grip. The camera might start seeing it again.

12-20-2015, 07:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rayn Quote
The batteries are all original Pentax, only the grip is 3rd party, but it was working fine for months
I've got the reverse. My grip is Pentax and the batteries are 3rd party. Something I forgot to mention earlier is clean the battery contacts there may be a film on them. I use an Ink pen eraser because they have a minute bit of grit on them.
12-21-2015, 03:34 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you tried removing the battery from the camera and just having a battery in the grip? What happens then?

Have you gone into the menu and set battery priority?

Take the grip off. Operate the camera on internal battery and then reattach the grip and see what happens.

Regards

Chris
12-21-2015, 05:03 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
Have you tried removing the battery from the camera and just having a battery in the grip? What happens then?
The K-3 II won't turn on.

QuoteQuote:
Have you gone into the menu and set battery priority?
Yes. That's where I noticed something's wrong, as the grip battery was crossed out.
12-21-2015, 09:22 AM   #11

Maybe the pins in the grip are bent. I do this sort of stuff often (removing the battery while camera is on) and nothing ever happened. Try using 6 AA batteries. They use different connector pins.
12-21-2015, 01:31 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zvon Quote
Maybe the pins in the grip are bent. I do this sort of stuff often (removing the battery while camera is on) and nothing ever happened.
No bent pins. But I'm glad to hear that removing the battery usually isn't an issue.

QuoteQuote:
Try using 6 AA batteries. They use different connector pins.
Same. K-3 Won't turn on.
So either the grip battery connection died for no apparent reason, or (and this seems more likely) the camera connectors are fried.
I tried disassembling the grip to check the connections, and managed to remove all but a single damn screw, which simply would not loosen. So that's not happening...
12-21-2015, 03:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Although I have done this often without incident, the K-3 manual does warn:
- Do not open the battery cover or remove the battery while the power is on.

That's where I noticed something's wrong, as the grip battery was crossed out.
Which suggests that the camera can't talk to the grip. There is circuitry in the grip, and with cheap third party grips you never know the quality of the electrical components, the soldering, the oxidation or corrosion of parts inside etc.

If you can, try a another grip (3rd party or Pentax). That should help you isolate the problem to either grip or body.
07-19-2019, 03:44 AM   #14

Unfortunately, I have 3 original K-3 batteries and they worked fine, in both the grip and camera for months. It was only after today's little incident (not even sure that was the reason, but probably) that the K-3 II battery grip shows as no battery. I it's been on for hours now, but still not working. I'm affraid this is probably a different issue.

The batteries are all original Pentax, only the grip is 3rd party, but it was working fine for months.
I'm just hoping this is indeed a problem with the grip, and not the K-3 II, because other than the K-3 II not seeing the battery, the grip works fine. So the connection is working.
But seriously, if removing the battery can cause damage to the camera, that's a serious design flaw.
I have the same problem on both the K5 BG4 and the K3ii BG5 grips show no battery charged or not. Please help.