Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2015, 07:53 PM   #1

Audio noise while zooming

was shooting handheld video, using internal mic for audio, noticed drop outs and clicks in the audio each time I would zoom in or out. K-3 with 18-135 zoom. Anybody had the same problem, or do I need to go to external mic. Sounded more like electronic noise than mechanical.

Any ideas?

12-22-2015, 08:13 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The internal microphone is not great IMHO. However a recent experience suggests that your noise might also be caused by the SR. I had such an issue using an external microphone:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/279013-sr-characteristic-s...uency-ies.html

Hope that the comment may help.
12-22-2015, 11:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Cameras internal mics will pick up any acoustic noise from the camera. If you want to reduce/eliminate this issue: get a shock mounted external mic. There are several makers: Rode being one of the best in the industry for on camera video microphones.

I have used one of these for years, and as a musician I can tell you it provides excellent sound quality, and appropriately it is built like a tank which suits Pentax DSLRs.

Last edited by Digitalis; 12-23-2015 at 12:08 AM.
12-23-2015, 04:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use an external recorder (with or without additional mics) and synch in post, that way I solve numerous problems at once:

1. I don't have to rely on the audio DSPs of something built to record pictures and video (not audio) as a main goal
2. I can record uncompressed WAV files at a greater sampling rate and bit depth, if need be
3. I can monitor and check levels much more accurately
4. I can have up to four tracks at the same time with my relatively cheap model (I usually use two for a stereo XY recording with the internal mics plus one mono track with an external mic to record single instruments or closer details)
5. I have an additional backup audio track (the camera's) if something goes wrong