Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2015, 08:25 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Video question on K-3 ii

I read in reviews and comments that the K-3 ii is not very good with video. Could someone more experienced with video than I explain why this is the case?

12-28-2015, 08:41 AM   #2
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Because Pentax does not have a very good video codec. When the signal from the sensor is encoded, Pentax's way of encoding it makes it look like shit. Bad compression, and it crushes the blacks.
12-28-2015, 11:09 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by kpevav Quote
I read in reviews and comments that the K-3 ii is not very good with video. Could someone more experienced with video than I explain why this is the case?
Yup, it basically boils down to sub-par image quality and no ability to capture raw video output. Also, AF during video is slow and there is no focus peaking during recording.

More than satisfactory for casual user, but probably not as good as what professionals would want.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-28-2015, 11:28 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks, I just would be a casual user. I can understand why people would want more quality in those terms for more advanced video use.

12-28-2015, 01:53 PM   #5
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kpevav Quote
Thanks, I just would be a casual user. I can understand why people would want more quality in those terms for more advanced video use.
Honestly Just don't autofocus, use manual for video.
12-30-2015, 02:26 AM   #6

The video of the K3/K3II is roughly on par with the likes of the Canon 70D. The leap forward in video quality & dynamic range with cameras such as the Panasonic GH4 raises video standards to very high levels.

An ideal combo is the K3 as a stills camera and the GH4 as a video workhorse.
12-30-2015, 04:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Bad compression, and it crushes the blacks.
good example of that in this video at 6.57
the codec just breaks down.

Overall the k3 is just fine for casual video use & professional use if you know what you are doing i guess.
For better image quality one indeed needs to go to the likes of gh3/a7s/black magic/...
I found the below a very fair review of the K3..
Pentax Ricoh K-3 DSLR Review | Videomaker.com

12-30-2015, 07:18 AM   #8
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
gh3/a7s/black magic/...
Even a entry level canon is better! At least compared to the K-30/50. Perhaps the K-s2/K-3 are better because they lack an AA filter? For school we got a T2i for video (there is hardly any difference between the t2i/t3i/t4i/t5i, so we got the cheapest ), you can add cinestyle and then color grade in post <3
12-30-2015, 07:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Even a entry level canon is better! At least compared to the K-30/50
Believe K30 is the same as K01, which i have shot with as well.
I agree any canon to be better than that.
The K3 is a different story.
12-30-2015, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Just to clarify, the K-3 is fairly good given the ability to customize both in video and audio. The previous issues with jello effect have been addressed. Although the bitrate is about the same as the K-01/30/50, the codec has been considerably improved allowing for less artifacts. Lack of AA filter would have little or no effect, but the added pixels make a difference. Good, fast glass makes a huge difference.

Those who rate it as poor are trying to use AF (not a good idea on any dSLR camera shooting video), using slow or marginal glass, or have left the software-based image stability "on" which clearly does degrade quality. Audio on the K-3 is much improved over earlier implementations with less-aggressive AGC allowing for a quieter floor and a full 20k at the high end.

While the video quality of the K-01 is close to the K-30/50 (but possibly just a bit better because of the overall simpler design - CDAF only), K-01 audio does allow for stereo mic-in - but you would have to go with discrete recording to reach high fidelity.