Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
01-16-2016, 03:55 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is no way I could find to parse a pixel shifted DNG into four images. I think that DCRaw might be able to do it, but I don't have that.

Lr won't do it.

DCU is rumored to do it, but I could find no such command on the Mac version.

The article cited above uses some vague language, which has led to some confusion. I can't tell if he is hypothesizing or actually doing it. Yes, if you have two shots, 1PS, 1 nonPS, you could layer and mask and remove artifacts that way. Nothing unusual there. But again, I haven't found a way to separate out images from a single PS DNG, nor can you shoot JPG + PS DNG as far as I know; when I try that the camera auto switches back to DNG mode.

01-16-2016, 05:45 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I just played around with some of my pixel shifted DNG RAW files today to see if I could pull out just one of the 4 image files from the DNG file.

No way to do it in Ricoh's "Digital Camera Utility 5" that I could find.
01-16-2016, 06:08 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd love to see an example of one of the "bad" images as a comparison. Just curious how noticeable the artifacts are and it would also be great to see an example of the same image then corrected as best as possible in Photoshop or whatever to see the end results of a "less than perfect" pixel shift attempt.
01-17-2016, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's detail of a problematic artifact. This was in a very still forest, but there was some drip, and when it hit the leaves they moved. So you can see these little artifacts, depending on the resolution of the display. Note image was about 6 times larger to start, but you could make out ghosting at 1:1.

BTW, I got dcraw working on my Mac, but with the standard distribution I couldn't find any way to separate out any images from one PS RAW. It does do a nice job of developing them, though.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
01-18-2016, 11:05 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The stock dcraw can separate a multi-file DNG, including a pixel-shifted file. The patched dcraw written by user Tomtor here at PF can also produce a stacked tiff with artifacts corrected using the bayer output from the first image. I suggest searching this forum for the following threads from last summer:

1) K3II: Pixel shift first test

Post #137 shows some command line examples for using the patched dcraw binary.

2) Implementing automatic artifact removal from PS shot in dcraw

Post #12 in the above thread is where the author discusses how the patched dcraw works. There are images in this post which illustrate the remarkable gain that can be accomplished using pixel shift. No more smudged red detail !!

Links to linux and windows binaries are in the above post. Not sure if it has been ported to Mac.

Jack
01-20-2016, 09:21 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
The stock dcraw can separate a multi-file DNG, including a pixel-shifted file. The patched dcraw written by user Tomtor here at PF can also produce a stacked tiff with artifacts corrected using the bayer output from the first image. I suggest searching this forum for the following threads from last summer:

Post #12 in the above thread is where the author discusses how the patched dcraw works. There are images in this post which illustrate the remarkable gain that can be accomplished using pixel shift. No more smudged red detail !!

Links to linux and windows binaries are in the above post. Not sure if it has been ported to Mac.

Jack
I saw this:

QuoteQuote:
I do not know if DCU can split the DNG, but the standard dcraw can do that (dcraw -s all ABC.DNG), you will get 4 processed files.
What is in those files depends on the parameters. You can feed these files to PhotoAcute.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/296122-k3ii-pixel-shift-fi...#ixzz3xnmvhgX3
But that command, on the most recent dcraw I have just installed on my Mac, only gives me one PPM, renamed ABC_0.PPM, eg. The man says:

QuoteQuote:
-s [0..N-1] or -s all
If a file contains N raw images, choose one or "all" to decode.
For example, Fuji Super CCD SR cameras generate a second image
underexposed four stops to show detail in the highlights.
Maybe my pixel shift only contains one raw? or did I miss something?
01-20-2016, 12:06 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
I saw this:

But that command, on the most recent dcraw I have just installed on my Mac, only gives me one PPM, renamed ABC_0.PPM, eg. The man says:

Maybe my pixel shift only contains one raw? or did I miss something?

My pixel shift images only produce one RAW image file too.

---------- Post added 01-20-16 at 01:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote

Jack

Sorry, I don't use dcraw and I'm not a computer programmer. I still maintain that for the average guy who primarily uses Adobe PhotoShop/
Lightroom and/or Digital Camera Utility 5 you can not extract out just one of the pixel shifted images from the single RAW file that is produced by K3ii pixel shifted image files.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 01-20-2016 at 12:11 PM.
01-20-2016, 05:15 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
There is no way to pull out one of the 4 frames to use in layers blending! I believe this to be an Internet myth that someone who never shot PS images made up.

You can save out each of the 4 PS shots as separate images using dcraw.
Whoops, I've just seen a previous post that discusses this.

Cheers,
Terry

Last edited by tduell; 01-20-2016 at 05:17 PM. Reason: additional info
01-20-2016, 05:21 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
looks like there is a bunch of detail in that shot, well done... and brrr! chilly

Well done ? you got to be kidding me
01-20-2016, 06:33 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Sorry, I don't use dcraw and I'm not a computer programmer. I still maintain that for the average guy who primarily uses Adobe PhotoShop/
Lightroom and/or Digital Camera Utility 5 you can not extract out just one of the pixel shifted images from the single RAW file that is produced by K3ii pixel shifted image files.
You don't have to be a programmer to use dcraw. How average does one have to be to be unable to run a program from the command prompt?

If you want to separate out the images, just do a little homework, install dcraw and try it, you might learn something

Cheers,
Terry
01-20-2016, 06:51 PM   #26
Veteran Member

At the time image resources article was written just openning the raw in PS was reading a single of the 4 shots. I don't know if it is still true.
01-21-2016, 03:26 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Well done ? you got to be kidding me
In fact it's blue-rare to... hem... RAW...
01-21-2016, 11:13 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
You don't have to be a programmer to use dcraw. How average does one have to be to be unable to run a program from the command prompt?

If you want to separate out the images, just do a little homework, install dcraw and try it, you might learn something

Cheers,
Terry
I've been doing homework for days, and still can't do it with standard dcraw v. 9.26 (at least the MacPorts installed version, which is the only one that runs on a Mac). As I noted above, "dcraw -s all" doesn't do it; it produces only one image. So I'd love to know the secret handshake, if in fact you've done it.

The FAQ at Coffin's website doesn't list the K-3II as supported, so I think it's only Tomtor's dcrawps fork that does this. That #137 post cited above has commands that do NOT separate them on a Mac as I've already noted, although it's claimed that the "standard" (which I took to mean latest, i.e. 9.26) does separate them (and used dcraw not dcrawps). Maybe "standard" dcrawps can. Given that a stray letter in command line tools can bollix up intended results, maybe a typo. Maybe the different fork. Confusing.

I haven't seen a single example of the regular dcraw extracting separate files; if I get around to finding a PC I can install dcrawps on I might try it; there's no dcrawps MacPort.

dcraw does produce nice looking layered TIFFs from PS images; well worth trying. It's used in some other applications, GIMP I think.
01-21-2016, 01:27 PM   #29

Use DCRAWPS

On person reported here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/306389-pixel-shift.html that by using DCRAWPS they pulled out 4 images but it was unknown if they were all the same or different.

You can use DCRAWPS to color the "movement area" with purple so it can be fixed: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/296497-implementing-automa...hot-dcraw.html

A little more reading about it here gives some insight into the command-line switches: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/304968-pixel-shift-may-actually-winner-5.html

I think a viable workflow would be to take a RAW+JPEG. Clean up the raw file using PDCU as noted here: Pentax K-3 II Review - Processing Pixel Shifted RAWs | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Then layer it with either the jpeg or an image pulled out from DCRAWPS and brush out the bad parts and flatten your image.

Note that there may be issues with shooting DNG or PEF as noted here: Some results from the K-3 II: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I'll have some time this weekend to test it if nobody reports back their try by then.
01-21-2016, 02:51 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just now specified the following command (using dcrawps) to extract the embedded 4 TIFF files from a pixel-shifted PEF and it did indeed export four different images which I then blended together in PS, thereby verifying that the images are indeed unique.
  • dcrawps64.exe -T -s all RAW/_IMG3048.PEF

Michael

P.S. in the command above "RAW/" is merely the folder where my test file was located

Last edited by MJSfoto1956; 01-21-2016 at 03:38 PM.