Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2016, 02:45 AM   #1

Continuous Shutter Speed bug?

Good morning everyone,

The other day, I was photographing birds in flight, with a manual lens (Pentax-M 200mm F4).
The camera settings were: Dial of M and continuous shooting, set to high.
ISO is set to 200 and the shutter speed was 1/2000s and diaphragm, fully open (F4).
All other settings that can lower the speed of continuous shooting (for example SR, NR reduction, lens correction, etc. etc. were disabled,).
I immediately noticed that the speed of continuous shooting was not as speed as it should be using an electronic lens type 18-135mm,
but reduced, about half (not 8.3 fps but 4 or 5 fps, to ear)
Sure it was the lens a little old and hard, I changed lens with a Pentax-A 50mm F/1.4 in excellent condition, and I did some tests...

1. Dial to AV and lens set to A:..........................................................Continuous shooting speed is ok
2. Dial to AV and lens set to manual diaphragm:...............................Continuous shooting speed is ok
3. Dial to M and lens set to A:............................................................Continuous shooting speed is ok
4. Dial to M and lens set to manual diaphragm:..........................Continuous shooting speed is reduced (as with the Pentax-M 200 mm)

Conclusion:
1. my 200mm is functioning well
2. with a manual lens and the camera set to manual, the Continuous shooting speed is not reached, and so I'm a bit disappointed ,
3. just put a piece of paper between the contacts of the camera, and a manual lens to reach the famous 8.3 fps (tested).

Maybe someone can do the same test and confirm whether it is bug or is the norm?

Camera: Pentax K-3

Thanks and Good day to all

Last edited by Frank the Matt; 01-17-2016 at 05:02 AM.
01-17-2016, 04:16 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that your text confuses high shutter speed and continuous shooting. These two are different issue. Your problem is linked with continuous shooting speed, nothing to do with high shutter speed.

Continuous shooting speed is the same for manual and AF lenses. It is linked with the camera settings and your card. Full stop.

The most relevant camera settings are lens distortion correction (should be off) and NR reduction (should be off), the file size (in RAW, you can shoot less files than in JPEG). More generally, all in-camera photo processing should be off. Within the camera settings, SR is irrelevant.

Another most important setting is your SD card and its speed. This cannot be changed unless you change the card.

I use all the time continuous shooting (Hi) with AF and manual lenses. I never had an issue with P, M and Tv modes.

I suggest that you check carefully your camera. Possibly consider to reset your camera settings.

My 5 cents.
01-17-2016, 04:48 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hi hcc, thank you very much for the information, unfortunately I am not a native English speaker, I run now to correct my writing...

The fact remains that this happens on my camera and I wanted to know if it's a normal thing. You say that this does not happen to you, this leads me to think that my camera has a problem, I also reset all settings and firmware is latest version but the problem remains

Do you believe if I tell you that the same thing happens to me also on the K-5II?

Last edited by Frank the Matt; 01-17-2016 at 08:44 AM.
01-17-2016, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

It has nothing to do with the lens; check the AF.C setting in the tools menu C.3. If you set it to focus priority, instead of release priority, then the shutter will not trip unless something is in focus for every shot. If you are doing manual focusing, then it is possible that it would be slower than using auto-focus lens.

01-17-2016, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frank the Matt Quote
Good morning everyone,

The other day, I was photographing birds in flight, with a manual lens (Pentax-M 200mm F4).
The camera settings were: Dial of M and continuous shooting, set to high.
ISO is set to 200 and the shutter speed was 1/2000s and diaphragm, fully open (F4).
All other settings that can lower the speed of continuous shooting (for example SR, NR reduction, lens correction, etc. etc. were disabled,).
I immediately noticed that the speed of continuous shooting was not as speed as it should be using an electronic lens type 18-135mm,
but reduced, about half (not 8.3 fps but 4 or 5 fps, to ear)
Sure it was the lens a little old and hard, I changed lens with a Pentax-A 50mm F/1.4 in excellent condition, and I did some tests...
Interesting. I haven't ever tried this test. When you were using the A 50 f/1.4 did you switch your manual
settings to f/1.4 or keep them on f/4? I assume you switched to f/1.4 but just checking.

1. Dial to AV and lens set to A:..........................................................Continuous shooting speed is ok
If I am correct and you were set to f/1.4 then your camera body knew that and did not have to depress the aperture lever at all. (Wide open)

2. Dial to AV and lens set to manual diaphragm:...............................Continuous shooting speed is ok
In Av mode the aperture lever is not actuated when the lens is not in the A position. So the exposure of this set should be the same as wide open even if you set it to something other than f/1.4.

3. Dial to M and lens set to A:............................................................Continuous shooting speed is ok
Still set wide open? If so no aperture level action required.

4. Dial to M and lens set to manual diaphragm:..........................Continuous shooting speed is reduced (as with the Pentax-M 200 mm)
Now the camera knows that it needs to operate the aperture level fully (all the way) not knowing the actual aperture and calculating how far to depress it nor being wide open.

Conclusion:
1. my 200mm is functioning well
2. with a manual lens and the camera set to manual, the Continuous shooting speed is not reached, and so I'm a bit disappointed ,
3. just put a piece of paper between the contacts of the camera, and a manual lens to reach the famous 8.3 fps (tested).

Maybe someone can do the same test and confirm whether it is bug or is the norm?

Camera: Pentax K-3

Thanks and Good day to all
Just for grins can you repeat the Av/A on lens and M/A on lens tests with the Aperture set to a very small aperture say f/16? See if that slows the process down also.

My thinking is that when you put the paper and blocked the contacts the camera assumed it was an M42 type lens (no diaphragm control via camera) and stopped trying to actuate the lever. I'm also curious if you used the 18-135 with a very small aperture if it woud slow down also.
01-17-2016, 12:44 PM   #6

Original Poster
Good Evening, thanks for all the answers,

aleonx3: AF.C is set to fps priority, moreover it is also set to manual focus and so should not affect...

UncleVanya: I run test with the diaphragm fully open (f/1.4 for 50mm and f4 for 200mm).

This evening, I tested the lens with the aperture completely closed (50mm at f22) like you said:

Result:

1. Dial to AV and lens set to A:...........................................................Continuous shooting speed is reduced
2. Dial to AV and lens set to manual diaphragm:................................Continuous shooting speed is ok
3. Dial to M and lens set to A:............................................................Continuous shooting speed is reduced
4. Dial to M and lens set to manual diaphragm:..........................Continuous shooting speed is the same as f1.4 (reduced).

With 18-135mm and f/32 the continuous speed is reduced...

Now I have another conclusion:

This is not a bug and should do so on all camera (perhaps to prevent damage when the camera does not know the aperture?)

Thanks Again to all

Last edited by Frank the Matt; 01-18-2016 at 02:07 AM.
01-17-2016, 09:28 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Your Av mode with f/22 and lens manually set doesn't make sense to me. The result should have been the same as the f/1.4 test - fast.

01-18-2016, 02:05 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Your Av mode with f/22 and lens manually set doesn't make sense to me. The result should have been the same as the f/1.4 test - fast.
You are right! I messed up on the list but I correct immediately, thank you!
01-18-2016, 03:26 AM   #9
Unregistered User

I will check my lenses when I get home to see if any of them makes my camera slow down. I do know that if set in manual the camera always shoots faster frame rates than if using AF.C and unpressed back button focus.
01-18-2016, 11:06 AM   #10
Unregistered User

When putting on a manual lens with k-mount the camera slows down.
01-18-2016, 02:07 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
When putting on a manual lens with k-mount the camera slows down.
Thank you for giving me another confirmation.
At first I thought that the camera was broken, but not so, the Pentax is strong, alive Pentax!
01-18-2016, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #12
Unregistered User

I guess they want us to go slow as we did when shooting film. A way to regain the feeling of a 24 or 36-roll.