Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2016, 08:30 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

K3_What Lenses Work Best With the Video Mode

I have a K3 and K10D and the following lenses: Pentax FA 43mm f1.9; Pentax DA 50mm 1.8;Pentax FA 77mmf1.8; Pentax FA 28-200 mm f3.8-22 zoom; Sigma 17-70 f2.8 zoom;Sigma18-250 zoom; Sigma 50-500 zoom (Bigma). I have not used the video capability of the K3to date (but would like to). Which of my existing lenses (given your experience with one or all of the above) do a good to excellent job with the video capability from your experience? If the above lenses are not ideal what are your recommended lenses?

In summary, has anyone used some of my lenses for video applications and what were the results? Also, I would appreciate any additional tips or observations from your personal experience relative to using the video capability of the K3, what venues are the best? Thanks in advance for any and all comments/feedback on the above.

Last edited by MRCDH; 01-22-2016 at 09:00 PM. Reason: spacing
01-22-2016, 08:55 PM   #2
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax video ain't the best, so the best lenses you could use would be the sharpest you have. So any of your primes would be good. Out of the lenses that I have, which you can see in my sig, I prefer my M 50 1.7... until it stopped working recently.

For a zoom... probably your Sigma 17-70? It is a variable aperture zoom, but that shouldn't matter, because with DSLR filmmaking you shouldn't be zooming very often, if at all. Just doesn't work out that well.

Hope this helps!
01-23-2016, 09:21 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Never used a K3 but earlier Pentaxes didn't work well with variable aperture zooms. It seemed as if the processor in the camera took time out from video processing to handle adjusting the aperture resulting in skipped or duplicated frames,
So as well as it being bad practice zooming gave poor results.
01-23-2016, 04:23 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Pentax video ain't the best, so the best lenses you could use would be the sharpest you have. So any of your primes would be good. Out of the lenses that I have, which you can see in my sig, I prefer my M 50 1.7... until it stopped working recently.

For a zoom... probably your Sigma 17-70? It is a variable aperture zoom, but that shouldn't matter, because with DSLR filmmaking you shouldn't be zooming very often, if at all. Just doesn't work out that well.

Hope this helps!
Thank you for your input; the primes seem to the logical choice, now I will have to get some technique under my belt.

---------- Post added 01-23-16 at 04:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by roberrl Quote
Never used a K3 but earlier Pentaxes didn't work well with variable aperture zooms. It seemed as if the processor in the camera took time out from video processing to handle adjusting the aperture resulting in skipped or duplicated frames,
So as well as it being bad practice zooming gave poor results.
I will probably use the prime lens for video, thanks for your input.