Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2016, 11:00 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K50- k3ii

Hi there, I've just traded the K50, which I loved, in for a K3II, which I hope to love even more!

Any ideas for custom settings?

Thanks.

Tuggie76

01-23-2016, 11:38 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax K-3 Review - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews
01-23-2016, 12:31 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
Thanks James.
01-23-2016, 04:30 PM   #4
Forum Member

Don't know if this applies to the K3 ii as well, but I started with these settings on my K3, in regards to noise reduction parameters, and combined with some of the settings found on the link that James posted and it all worked out.

Congratulations on you K3 ii !!!!

01-24-2016, 09:45 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MasMax Quote
Don't know if this applies to the K3 ii as well, but I started with these settings on my K3, in regards to noise reduction parameters, and combined with some of the settings found on the link that James posted and it all worked out.

Congratulations on you K3 ii !!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihedh1iVSBw
Thanks MasMax, the only difference I saw was the colour space, there didn't seem to be a box to change that, and I thought srgb would be the way to go, so would be interested in your thoughts on using Adobe.

Tuggie76
01-25-2016, 08:43 AM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuggie76 Quote
Thanks MasMax, the only difference I saw was the colour space, there didn't seem to be a box to change that, and I thought srgb would be the way to go, so would be interested in your thoughts on using Adobe.

Tuggie76
You are welcome !!!! Again, I have the K3 but I imagine it would be the same for the K3ii...If you go to customs settings (the one with the big C) option 21, will allow you to modify the color space, actually the option is called Color Space.

In regards to using sRGB or AdobeRGB, If you shoot in RAW format then color space has no effect on your file since you can change it later on, but if you shoot JPG or RAW+JPG then that's another story. I personally use sRGB for my JPGs since it simplifies my workflow. sRGB is much more compatible with the internet, personal devices, even with your monitor since traditional monitors can only display about 97% of the sRGB color space, and only about 76% of the AdobeRGB color space.

AdobeRGB is better in the sense that it can represent a wider range of colors, if I remember correctly it can give you around 30 or 35 % more color range than sRGB can BUT (yes there is always a but) it is not as compatible with the world around you as sRGB is, so for you to post your images to the web or to send your pictures to someone or even upload them on your phone you would have to convert the file from AdobeRGB to sRGB.

If you plan on printing your pictures then AdobeRGB offers more range and versatility in the images taken, a lot of pros use this color space and then convert them to sRGB, without any loss of quality, before uploading them to the web or sending them to a client but when printing, they will use the AdobeRGB color space.

Regards,

George
01-25-2016, 04:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MasMax Quote
You are welcome !!!! Again, I have the K3 but I imagine it would be the same for the K3ii...If you go to customs settings (the one with the big C) option 21, will allow you to modify the color space, actually the option is called Color Space.

In regards to using sRGB or AdobeRGB, If you shoot in RAW format then color space has no effect on your file since you can change it later on, but if you shoot JPG or RAW+JPG then that's another story. I personally use sRGB for my JPGs since it simplifies my workflow. sRGB is much more compatible with the internet, personal devices, even with your monitor since traditional monitors can only display about 97% of the sRGB color space, and only about 76% of the AdobeRGB color space.

AdobeRGB is better in the sense that it can represent a wider range of colors, if I remember correctly it can give you around 30 or 35 % more color range than sRGB can BUT (yes there is always a but) it is not as compatible with the world around you as sRGB is, so for you to post your images to the web or to send your pictures to someone or even upload them on your phone you would have to convert the file from AdobeRGB to sRGB.

If you plan on printing your pictures then AdobeRGB offers more range and versatility in the images taken, a lot of pros use this color space and then convert them to sRGB, without any loss of quality, before uploading them to the web or sending them to a client but when printing, they will use the AdobeRGB color space.

Regards,

George
Thanks again George. A great description of colour space, something I ran into when trying to get a photo approved for the Exclusive Gallery, I had Photoshop set for Adobe and it messed up the image.

I don't know why I couldn't find the setting, but it's actually #20 in the K3II

Tuggie76