Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-27-2016, 03:00 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
Is that an app or is it built in and how do you direct to your camera's specific receptor? I dont think my iPhone has such a beast could be wrong.
It's an app, and you can select between a bunch of different camera makes an models in the settings.

01-27-2016, 03:52 PM   #17
Pentaxian

It is IR. Some phones don't have it. Real ones do

I'm not interested in range. I'm interested in starting a video capture without touching the body, or triggering mirror up for long shooting. I don't have to carry a special accessory, I have one in my pocket almost always.
01-27-2016, 04:20 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
It is IR. Some benecolent Fund Starts Herephones don't have it. Real ones do
I have an iPhone 5 - Pay-as-You Go $10/month is all my wife will allow me ;so if it needs data & Internet to operate I have to go to a Donut Shop to shoot the Picture!!!!!!! Honey Bo Bo Benevolent Fund Starts Here>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
01-27-2016, 04:59 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
Is that an app or is it built in and how do you direct to your camera's specific receptor? I dont think my iPhone has such a beast could be wrong.

My Samsung's got the blaster. Download an app like Shutterbot, point at the camera's IR port, etc.

I use it as an Apple TV remote, too.

01-27-2016, 08:26 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Or, you could just buy the $20 Pentax little gizmo and keep it with the camera...

(Of course Fuji has true wifi built into their cameras and their very own app that does remote viewing, exposure manipulation and shutter firing. But their video is still crap. )
01-27-2016, 08:46 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
Fuji has true wifi built into their cameras
I have the Fujifilm S1 and its slik you can even operate the zoom on the remote. The Video is not that bad its in colour
01-28-2016, 09:26 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Yes I knew what was mean't, and yes there is a certain amount of penetration for the longer waves of radio I was just pointing out that IR is without wires also.
Technically speaking IR and 'radio' are all part of the same EM Spectrum.
I would not call IR 'light' because it's not in the visible region.
Okay, I just thought there was a misunderstanding as you pointed out something so obvious. It probably wasn't necessary, as most people understand that IR remotes are wireless. What I meant by light is that IR is close to visible light in wavelength, so things that obstruct visible light will probably obstruct IR as well. Thanks for the clarification though (I could have been more clear, for sure)! It's good to know there are crusaders like you correcting people's science on this forum. ;-)

01-28-2016, 06:25 PM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
However, a buddy of mine who is a Pentaxian (for 30+ years) insists on shooting JPEG only. I have seen his images and they are spot on in terms of color and exposure. He shoots for newspapers a lot and he insists that his workflow is faster with JPEG. I have tried to bring him to the RAW side. But no success so far. He is happy with the JPEGs he gets from his K3, K30, K50 and even his original K5.
Yeah, shooting for newspapers is one area where JPG makes sense. They don't have the time to do post.
However when he shoots for non-news, like for himself, is one area where even I myself would continue to try and persuade him. I have so many jpg's where I wish I had shot raw, but not the other way around. I still kick myself for not shooting raw when I had a cam capable of it (Fuji S7000), but back then I had not heard of Lightroom so I didn't know how exactly to deal with the raws.

I still try to persuade my sister to get something like the Canon S100 (for GPS) and at least shoot raw+jpg - and offer to process the raws for her.. She goes on vacations all across the world and takes all her pictures with a fricken camera phone! OY! The horror --- the HORROR!
01-28-2016, 07:01 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hoggy Quote
Yeah, shooting for newspapers is one area where JPG makes sense. They don't have the time to do post.
However when he shoots for non-news, like for himself, is one area where even I myself would continue to try and persuade him. I have so many jpg's where I wish I had shot raw, but not the other way around. I still kick myself for not shooting raw when I had a cam capable of it (Fuji S7000), but back then I had not heard of Lightroom so I didn't know how exactly to deal with the raws.

I still try to persuade my sister to get something like the Canon S100 (for GPS) and at least shoot raw+jpg - and offer to process the raws for her.. She goes on vacations all across the world and takes all her pictures with a fricken camera phone! OY! The horror --- the HORROR!

Wedding photography is ironically going to jpeg too. If you nail it in the camera, and by the 3rd wedding in 2 weeks every season you start doing so regularly, then you can save a ton of time PP'ing afterwards. The modern jpeg engines are good enough and if you dial in your color, contrast and sharpening preferences your good to go...
01-28-2016, 11:10 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
IR is wireless..
QuoteOriginally posted by Zephos Quote
I think what he means is a remote that uses RC (electromagnetic signals, or radio control) as opposed to IR (which is light). The advantage of RC is that you don't have to have a clear line of sight, as electromagnetic waves penetrate obstacles much more effectively.

I'm talking about the WR-A10 wireless transmitter/receiver from Nikon. It operates in the radio frequences of 2.4GHZ with three selectable channels in that range that can be set on both the transmitter and receiver. It has an advertised range of 60 meters.
01-29-2016, 01:23 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Okay, I just thought there was a misunderstanding as you pointed out something so obvious.
I was being ironic... (sorry, there's no ironic' emot) Lighten up.
It probably wasn't necessary
I'll be the judge of what I post thanks