Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
02-08-2016, 11:52 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
nice owl too

02-09-2016, 12:19 AM   #17

Original Poster
I'm glad the results are of interest. I know it won't make much difference to most of my photography as I don't do much printing, at least not yet, but it is nice to see more of what the lens can do.

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
I assume the PS is on the right? [...] I wonder at what size you'd have to print to see the difference?

Yep, PS results on the right. (I'm glad you could tell!) I'm guessing it could make some difference with very high quality printing even at moderately large sizes.

QuoteOriginally posted by fehknt Quote
dcraw is terrible in comparison to PDCU in my experience. When it's truly static, both should be fine but PDCU has better detect/fix of the zipper artifacts that occur from slight motion (e.g., landscape).

Is that with dcraw or the modified version called dcrawps which does detect movement? I've got a few threads to read up on and will then try it out as I would rather not have to boot into Windows for this, and PDCU kept crashing in my Windows VM.

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
nice owl too

I know, right? We got him on holiday in the Lake District, UK.
02-09-2016, 05:17 AM   #18
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
I wonder at what size you'd have to print to see the difference
Yes, this. And/or, is the difference, which is certainly impressive at 100%, visible at more conventional display sizes?
02-09-2016, 05:41 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
And/or, is the difference, which is certainly impressive at 100%, visible at more conventional display sizes?
If you mean viewing the whole image on typical monitors without zooming in, no; sharpness will be determined more by the resampling method used when saving the file and the scaling method that the web browser uses at sizes other than 1:1. (Unless you severely crop first, in which case it could well become relevant.) I'm not so sure that “super resolution”/pixel shifting is irrelevant for typical printing, though. I suspect that given a high enough quality print service a difference could be seen at typical print sizes.

On the subject of print services, does anyone have any recommendations for a service that is in or delivers to a) Germany, and b) the UK?

02-09-2016, 08:11 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DavidOliver Quote
On the subject of print services, does anyone have any recommendations for a service that is in or delivers to a) Germany, and b) the UK?
You could try White Wall. Everytime i ask for a good printing solution i get them recommended. But i havenīt used them personally. You can get some really huge prints, but they are pricey of course. (180x120cm)
02-09-2016, 11:48 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is a very good set of examples...and impressive too! Easy to see the improvement.

One question......you reckon it would work on squirrels?

Name:  DSCF9742-800.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  82.2 KB

Regards! ...Nice test. one simple enough I can understand!
02-09-2016, 11:05 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It would be a mistake to downplay the effectiveness of the pixel shift function. Check out post #137 in this thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/296122-k3ii-pixel-shift-first-test-10.html Note the example images.

Remember how we all hated it when we saw those red rug swatches in the reviews? "Pentax just can't handle red detail". Uh huh.

Jack

02-10-2016, 04:55 AM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arne Bo Quote
You could try White Wall. Everytime i ask for a good printing solution i get them recommended. But i havenīt used them personally. You can get some really huge prints, but they are pricey of course. (180x120cm)

That looks like a nice service - thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
One question......you reckon it would work on squirrels?

I believe red squirrels are also compatible with the pixel shift feature, yes. I'm not sure about grey ones, though.

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
It would be a mistake to downplay the effectiveness of the pixel shift function. Check out post #137 in this thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/296122-k3ii-pixel-shift-first-test-10.html Note the example images.

Remember how we all hated it when we saw those red rug swatches in the reviews? "Pentax just can't handle red detail". Uh huh.

Thanks for that and the link. I must admit, I was thinking only in terms of fine detail and edge contrast. I gather it can help with colour in a more fundamental way, too?
02-10-2016, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by DavidOliver Quote
I believe red squirrels are also compatible with the pixel shift feature, yes. I'm not sure about grey ones, though.
Otis is a Foxsquirrel...more red that gray....and of course, he is very handsome, which would shift pixels better than average...I assume?

I failed to mention that the squirrel I posted earlier is not a real live squirrel....sorry if it deceived anyone.

Thanks again to the OP....he did the kind of test we can all relate to.

Regards!
02-10-2016, 08:13 AM   #25

QuoteQuote:
Is that with dcraw or the modified version called dcrawps which does detect movement?
Didn't know about that! I meant the unmodified dcraw that Adobe gives you. I'll have to see about this dcrawps -- it's a major pain point in my pixel shift workflow.
02-10-2016, 08:21 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Didn't know about that! I meant the unmodified dcraw that Adobe gives you. I'll have to see about this dcrawps -- it's a major pain point in my pixel shift workflow.
I don't think any dcraw comes from Adobe. It's originally an open-source raw file processor from Dave Coffin (hence the "dc").
02-10-2016, 07:03 PM   #27

I love my K-3 II so far! PS seems to only be good for absolutely stationary subject only..I have tried it with trees but I keep getting aberrations. It is great for macro photos though.
02-11-2016, 08:37 AM   #28

QuoteQuote:
I don't think any dcraw comes from Adobe. It's originally an open-source raw file processor from Dave Coffin (hence the "dc").
Sure, I should have said 'redistributed by' to be technically correct.
02-11-2016, 08:51 AM   #29

Original Poster
Sure, I should have said 'redistributed by' to be technically correct.

I didn't think Adobe used dcraw, so I checked David's site:

QuoteQuote:
Thanks to dcraw source code, Adobe Photoshop and dozens of other image tools now have built-in support for raw photos, and the popularity of raw photography has grown enormously.

I guess it's licensed permissively.
02-11-2016, 10:23 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Well done. It sure does look good.