Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2016, 04:47 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Selling K-3 now the K-1 has arrived?

So who here is thinking of selling their K-3 now that the K-1 as been announced? Looks like a great camera at a great price even if you don't NEED full-frame.

02-19-2016, 04:56 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am going to hold on to my K-3II for a little while at least until I determine if the K-1 is light enough to take backpacking. If it is not then I will for sure hang on to the K-3II. It is also nice sometimes to have two cameras in the back country to avoid having to change lenses in dirty conditions.
02-19-2016, 04:59 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'll be keeping my K-3 as a back up to the K-1. I will be selling my K-30!
02-19-2016, 05:28 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, when I get a K1 the K5 and K5-IIs will probably go but my K3 is hanging around. It is just too awesome to sell.

02-19-2016, 05:47 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With crop function engaged, the K1 will record 15mp using, for example, the 16~85 or 8mm Bower. The K3 will record 24mp with these. For wildlife, cropping off about 1/2 of the frame to enlarge a bird using the 150~450 it would be 15mp, but 24mp for framing the same bird the same way photographed at the same subject to camera distance with the K3. So why would I bother with the K1? Well, there's the 200 SMCA ED macro, moved just a bit closer, and I can use the tilt screen to get lower doing macro shots (after dual hip replacements, getting down is difficult, getting up may soon require a 911 call). There are other FF lenses in my collection that I expect to perform better on a K1. And there there will be, I suspect, a significant improvement in low-light, high ISO IQ with the K1 (=substantial noise reduction at the least). I do a lot of hand-held interiors when traveling (museums, cathedrals, historic or extravagant homes, etc.), for these I expect the K1 will provide better image quality at higher ISO than the K3. And besides, I like the K3 but I need some rationale to buy a K1. Hopeless photo gearhead since the 1950's, but unapologetic. Why reform at my age now that I can pretty much afford what I want? Why wait when I may wake up tomorrow and discover I died in my sleep?

PS: CARPE K1

Last edited by WPRESTO; 02-19-2016 at 06:44 AM.
02-19-2016, 06:25 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Why wait when I make wake up tomorrow and discover I died in my sleep?
My thoughts exactly, I tell my wife that every day when I do something and she gives me that 'look'.
02-19-2016, 06:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I assume I will sell or p/x my K-3II as/when I upgrade to a K-1, although that may be in 6-months or so.

My K-3II is only around 6-months old but I had the choice between a K-3 or K-3II at the time after my K-01 pretty much died, so I went for the K-3II as it was not a massive amount more.

I have happily used my MZ-S / FA43 combo as a walk around with just that single lens Although the K-1 is a 'little' bigger and heavier

02-19-2016, 06:47 AM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
With crop function engaged, the K1 will record 15mp using, for example, the 16~85 or 8mm Bower. The K3 will record 24mp with these. For wildlife, cropping off about 1/2 of the frame to enlarge a bird using the 150~450 it would be 15mp, but 24mp for framing the same bird the same way photographed at the same subject to camera distance with the K3. So why would I bother with the K1? Well, there's the 200 SMCA ED macro, moved just a bit closer, and I can use the tilt screen to get lower doing macro shots (after dual hip replacements, getting down is difficult, getting up may soon require a 911 call). There are other FF lenses in my collection that I expect to perform better on a K1. And there there will be, I suspect, a significant improvement in low-light, high ISO IQ with the K1 (=substantial noise reduction at the least). I do a lot of hand-held interiors when traveling (museums, cathedrals, historic or extravagant homes, etc.), for these I expect the K1 will provide better image quality at higher ISO than the K3. And besides, I like the K3 but I need some rationale to buy a K1. Hopeless photo gearhead since the 1950's, but unapologetic. Why reform at my age now that I can pretty much afford what I want? Why wait when I may wake up tomorrow and discover I died in my sleep?

PS: CARPE K1

My plan is not to leave any money behind for my kids

02-19-2016, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote

We plan to leave some. At least enough to have us cremated.
02-19-2016, 07:38 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote

Does that mean you've pre ordered the K1.......
02-19-2016, 07:48 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
So who here is thinking of selling their K-3 now that the K-1 as been announced? Looks like a great camera at a great price even if you don't NEED full-frame.
I will likely continue using my K-3 for some time to come. First, I will not be amongst the early "beta testers" buying low serial number K-1's. Second, while there is still some interesting cropped sensor functionality in the K-1, the 24 MP output of the K-3 beats the 16 MP crop of the K-1 (especially if PP cropping is needed), even with some of the other K-1 improvements.

I am hoping (and am even expecting) that Pentax will continue developing quality APS-C bodies for some time yet. For a relatively compact and lightweight wildlife kit, a K-3 body with a sharp but compact long tele lens (in my case, an F* 300/4.5) (or with even a very compact DA 550-300/4-5.8) is still very appealing to me.

Last edited by fwcetus; 02-19-2016 at 02:13 PM.
02-19-2016, 01:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I think many Pentax users will purchase the K-1 to complement their K-3/K-5 rather than replace it entirely. As impressive as the K-1 is, the K-3 is so good that even with the added nifty features I still wouldn't trade my K-3 for a K-1.

In the end it really comes down to lenses and how you use your camera.

If you've built a current lens system around APS-C this would require a re-evaluation of your favorite lenses. For a current K-3 user with APS-C optimized lenses (or full frame lenses selected for APS-C use), there is no reason to move up to a K-1 since you lose resolution and frame-rate in APS-C mode. Even birders who enjoy the 1.5x crop of APS-C would lose that advantage. I also like how compact the K-3 is, where the K-1 adds a little bit of size and weight.

If you have plenty of old lenses at focal lengths best suited for full frame or have cash to invest in full frame lenses, the K-1 is definitely a worthy investment. I could even see it bringing more newbies into Pentax (both FF and APS-C) since a previous 'mark' against Pentax was that you would have to switch to Canikon if you ever wanted to move to full frame.
02-19-2016, 03:28 PM   #13
Pentaxian

The only thing that will cause me to sell my K3ii is when Pentax releases a new APS-C body that has the K1's upgraded pixel shift that allows for shooting moving objects!
02-19-2016, 04:58 PM   #14
Forum Member

I'm considering heading to China for a couple of weeks later this year with a pitstop in Tokyo for a few days at the end of the trip. This will be pretty much the only way I'll purchase the K1 by purchasing it in Tokyo in the hope it will most likely be SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than purchasing in Australia, like my K3 was. It ended up being around $500AUD cheaper
02-20-2016, 01:19 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
I will likely continue using my K-3 for some time to come. First, I will not be amongst the early "beta testers" buying low serial number K-1's. Second, while there is still some interesting cropped sensor functionality in the K-1, the 24 MP output of the K-3 beats the 16 MP crop of the K-1 (especially if PP cropping is needed), even with some of the other K-1 improvements.

I am hoping (and am even expecting) that Pentax will continue developing quality APS-C bodies for some time yet. For a relatively compact and lightweight wildlife kit, a K-3 body with a sharp but compact long tele lens (in my case, an F* 300/4.5) (or with even a very compact DA 550-300/4-5.8) is still very appealing to me.
Good point about the cropped functionality. I hadn't thought about that.