Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
10-19-2016, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by AmaZing Quote
Folks,

I understand that this is a slightly older thread... but looks like the ACMAXX product (currently) only carries a single rear LCD protector and does not include the top LCD protector. Can someone kindly give a link that carries BOTH the rear and the top LCD protectors for K-3 II?

Many Thanks!

I just looked at the two places that I have bought ACMAXX from and you are right, all the listings show only the rear protector. Maybe they stopped making the top protector. Best thing I can suggest is to contact them and see if the top lcd protector is still included or not.

10-19-2016, 01:52 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
I just looked at the two places that I have bought ACMAXX from and you are right, all the listings show only the rear protector. Maybe they stopped making the top protector. Best thing I can suggest is to contact them and see if the top lcd protector is still included or not.
I just went to their website and they do not even have a listing for the K-3 or K-3II any longer.
10-19-2016, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sarge Quote
I just went to their website and they do not even have a listing for the K-3 or K-3II any longer.

Don't put much faith in their website. If you look down for where to buy from, they list Fry's Electronics as a seller. If you look at Fry's website and do a search, ACMAXX does not come up at all. I questioned them about it and they basically said to buy off of ebay where they do most of their selling.

ACMAXX has the K3 and K3-II still listed on ebay.

ACMAXX 3.2" HARD LCD SCREEN ARMOR PROTECTOR for Pentax K3 K-3-II K3-Mark-2 mark2

Before you ask, yes, this is the seller name that ACMAXX uses on ebay.

I was thinking about the fact that no top LCD protector is included anymore. ACMAXX might have discovered that it is rare that the top LCD gets damaged. I don't know if that is true but that could be the case.
10-19-2016, 07:06 PM   #19

Thank you @bigdavephoto. That was very helpful!

Quick Q: what is the diff between the a. touch & feel and b. reflective look of the screen with and without the protector?

10-19-2016, 08:29 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Thank you @bigdavephoto. That was very helpful!

Quick Q: what is the diff between the a. touch & feel and b. reflective look of the screen with and without the protector?

What I can tell you is, the feel of the protector is the same as the LED screen. When you put one on, it is almost like adding a second glass on top of the LED. I am not sure if they are made out of a strong thin polycarbonate or a hardened glass but I like them.

The only time I notice a reflection on the protector is when the camera is off. When the camera is on and I am reviewing photos, I don't notice a reflection.

I looked around when I got my K7, and for the price, I thought I would give it a try. After I put them on my K7, I was very happy with it. My father sent me a Nikon P7000 that he bought and decided he didn't need. As soon as I got it, I put an ACMAXX protector on it and the same with the K5-IIs that I got recently.
10-19-2016, 08:38 PM   #21

Thanks @bigdavephoto! That's all the confirmation I needed. Going for it!
10-21-2016, 01:28 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Another opinion on the ACMAXX solution... I installed the model specific protector on my K-30. It certainly protected the LCD panel, which I highly valued. There is an air gap between the protector and the LCD, In my opinion, this is necessary to act as an impact shock buffer. This air gap has two downsides:

* First it increases internal glare and decreases viewability in bright light. This is a big reason the K-3 has a gapless viewscreen.
* Air expands and contracts with both temperature and pressure changes (both atmospheric and body pressure holding the camera to your face). The adhesive seal in my experience eventually gives way and develops a leak to equalize the pressure difference. And as soon as there is a path, dust tends to accumulate between the protector and LCD. Each removal to clean and reinstall is going to further weaken the adhesive in the seal with shorter time frames between the need to clean.

My K-30 had a more easily scratched screen. I wholeheartedly recommend the ACMAXX in spite of the above. For the K-3, it has not only a gapless cover on the LCD, but the glass is far more scratch resistant. I've decided to forego extra protectors.

10-22-2016, 11:13 PM   #23

Thanks @JimJohnson

Are you saying that the LCD glass of K3 will be able to hold its own against an occasional rub against the belt buckle and other such "non-violent" scruffs?
10-23-2016, 04:46 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Thanks @JimJohnson

Are you saying that the LCD glass of K3 will be able to hold its own against an occasional rub against the belt buckle and other such "non-violent" scruffs?
So far, so good. Mind you, I use a cross body strap (not a sling as I keep a quick release plate for my monopod in the tripod mount) and do try to avoid having the LCD bounce up and down against something like a belt buckle. The glass has proven it is very good, but I doubt it is totally impervious.
10-23-2016, 01:57 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just purchased a ACMAXX screen protector for my K3 off EBay yesterday. They are still available.

Michael
10-24-2016, 01:06 PM   #26
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just received the Ac*maxx hard lcd protector for my K 3 and K 5 II from the ebay shop. It took 2 days to arrive. I just installed the one for the K 3 and the K 5 II and it was extremely easy to do.

Quoting bigdavephoto

******* "I was thinking about the fact that no top LCD protector is included anymore. ACMAXX might have discovered that it is rare that the top LCD gets damaged. I don't know if that is true but that could be the case.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/314695-screen-protector-recommendation-k-3-ii.html#ixzz4O2ExCGt3" ******

The protector for the K 3 was for the large lcd back screen only, however, the one for the K 5 II came with both a lcd back screen protector and a smaller protector for the top lcd screen

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-24-2016 at 01:21 PM.