Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2016, 02:58 PM   #1
Forum Member

Flash question

Hi everyone,

I have a more or less simple (maybe stupid) question.
Can I use any flash with my K-3 ii?
I don't get which models fit on the Pentax K-3 ii hotshoe.
Saw some stuff fitting on Canon and Nikon comaptible that fits on Pentax.
Is that a golden rule? That stuff fitting Canon/Nikon always fots on Pentax hotshoe?

Hope my question isn't to stupid. As an longterm Pentax-User I should know that, but I'm absolutely not sure.

Looking for one or two flash-models and a remote for my K-3ii.

02-22-2016, 03:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaphil Quote
Hi everyone,

I have a more or less simple (maybe stupid) question.
Can I use any flash with my K-3 ii?
I don't get which models fit on the Pentax K-3 ii hotshoe.
Saw some stuff fitting on Canon and Nikon comaptible that fits on Pentax.
Is that a golden rule? That stuff fitting Canon/Nikon always fots on Pentax hotshoe?

Hope my question isn't to stupid. As an longterm Pentax-User I should know that, but I'm absolutely not sure.

Looking for one or two flash-models and a remote for my K-3ii.
Any flash with a standard sized hotshoe will fit on Pentax cameras. Some older flashes have very high voltage and can fry the electronics in the camera. Any non-modern flash should be tested with a volt meter. However, almost every standard sized hotshoe flash also fires using the center pin and will fire on Pentax cameras too. You will have to control the flash power manually as they won't be able to communicate with the camera.

Any flash with P-TTL will be able to talk to and work perfectly with Pentax camera's.
02-22-2016, 03:13 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Any flash with a standard sized hotshoe will fit on Pentax cameras. Some older flashes have very high voltage and can fry the electronics in the camera. Any non-modern flash should be tested with a volt meter. However, almost every standard sized hotshoe flash also fires using the center pin and will fire on Pentax cameras too. You will have to control the flash power manually as they won't be able to communicate with the camera.

Any flash with P-TTL will be able to talk to and work perfectly with Pentax camera's.
Thanks
02-22-2016, 04:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I wouldn't say "perfectly" regarding pTTL. A lot of factors go into the pTTL, and not all flashes work well with all bodies. They also all add delay to process the pre-flash info which may or may not be acceptable for your needs.

Various universal or generic flashes with only a center pin at the bottom will give you manual, auto, ratio - or a combination of each - and will yield consistent results for most general shooting situations. And save you some money.

02-22-2016, 04:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
I would just add that some old flashes (such as the nifty and fairly ubiquitous Pentax AF280T) do surprisingly well on current Pentax DSLR's using auto-thyristor functionality.
02-22-2016, 06:44 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have three Pentax AF360FGZ flashes. They perform well with my K-3II and K-5IIS. They utilize the P-TTL mode/Pentax wireless off camera flash feature(s).
02-22-2016, 07:31 PM   #7

As stated in other post any modern flash with a center pin will work with your camera. I have three flashes and they are not pttl so I shoot manual. I have an Olympus and two Yongnuo 560 IV. If you are starting out with off camera flash I would get the Yongnuos as they will communicate with each other wirelessly and you can have three groups. I use Wansen radio triggers which are cheap but do the job since I shoot manual. If you want to use more than three groups you would have to buy the fancier Yongnuo controller. They are a great value for the price. I don't expect them to last as long as top dollar flash units, but until I have the money for the good stuff these will certainly do. If you want something better there are plenty post with advice for a higher price point and a whole range of gear. Good luck.

02-22-2016, 08:24 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sony for a while had its own flash hotshoe, but Pentax has been standard all along.

You can borrow and use your friends' flashes and radio triggers and use them manually.
02-23-2016, 12:01 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks so far for helping me
02-23-2016, 09:23 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've got 2 flashes that work well with P-TTL on the K-3. The Metz 58 AF2 works well. Pretty pricey, but excellent results. The Cactus RF-60 is P-TTL compatible and much cheaper. I think it works as well as my Metz. I would recommend a diffuser for on-camera flash, as well as use the bounce angles of the flash.

I would recommend that the flash be P-TTL compatible on K-3 or newer cameras.