Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2016, 02:57 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what would you like to see in new K-3 firmware

Must say, once again, that I came from Oly system, and Oly has a fantastic sense for upgrading their high entry models with new possibilities in camera, added with laters firmware upgrading.

OMD-EM1 till now have 4th major firmware release, and in last upgrade, Oly add to this camera some fantastic features, like focus shifting ( bracketing in different apertures ) for macro, or silent shutter.

I can't complain about my Pentax K3 picture quality, but firmware is still on 1,21 ( correct me if I'm wrong ) and I can't see any will from Pentax ( or Ricoh ) to add some extra cookies inside.

So, I decide to make my own upgrade wish list - and invite you other owners of this beautifull camera, to make yours - all in hope Pentax will do something to improve this camera, to become better. This also can be aplied to the K3 II.

This wish list must be suitable for apply in camera

my wish list

- option to swap the format . 3:2, 4:3, 1:1 . The mirror can't cover this, but LCD can handle it
---
- silent shutter, or electronic shutter, with mirror always up
---
- option to set mirror always up, when you power On or when you power on your camera, that you have Live View immediately without need to press one more button to get it
---
- in play mode I would like to see some improvements about picture info. Now you must set in menu what would you like to see on screen, but that's to slow. I like no info preview, but if I want to see info, it would be much easier and nicer to switch with "info" button.
When I want to see exif, just push "info", and you can see it.
--
- Faster write on card rate with continuous shooting. I notice much lag even in M quality mode, ( downsize to 14 mpx ), and in L super fine quality the lag is pretty obvious. I must wait even 5,6 seconds before I can use my camera again, after some 10,15 shots in burst mode.
---
- some of you claim that "pointer" in the middle of screen, is not accurate in same way, in live view mode, and with the red spot in Viewfinder mode. I must confirmed it's maybe the true, so I would like to see improvement here also
---
- very important to me is live view bokeh preview. I must go to manual preview button, which is placed on On-Off button, and is not very convenient - I would rather to see change of dof that all the time, as I move aperture ring,
but I don't know is it possible .
---
- Battery depleted info - when you turn on camera with empty battery. For now, you have such info, only in shooting, when your battery dies, but if you try to turn on camera with depleted battery, you will have nothing to show, and sometimes I found this irritate me, cause I think maybe is something wrong with camera - not a big deal - but yet, can be useful
---
- no more foldfers ! I'm sick of folders in camera card. Give me oportunity to choose

if I remember something else, I will wrote this here, and you may also do your wish list for K3, or KII

Last edited by panonski; 03-16-2016 at 06:06 AM.
03-16-2016, 03:49 AM - 1 Like   #2

- longer than 30 secs for a long exposure (without cable release), why is the longest exposure time always restricted to 30secs...... let's have up to 5 min
03-16-2016, 05:14 AM - 1 Like   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by scottmasterton Quote
- longer than 30 secs for a long exposure (without cable release), why is the longest exposure time always restricted to 30secs...... let's have up to 5 min
It's a taxation issue. For exposure longer than 30-seconds it'd be categorized as a video camcorder and taxed differently.

Sorry, the above is wrong. I got my facts mixed up. Please ignore me.

Last edited by Sideway; 03-20-2016 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Correction
03-16-2016, 05:19 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Something I wouldn't mind as a general update across the range is a menu option for green button on shutter half-press - not continuous stop-down, please note, but just one application of GB then switch back to focus-confirm.

03-16-2016, 05:24 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

First and foremost the articulated screen.
AND ALWAYS: lower noise at high ISO.
Also, I really liked, still like, the manual shake reduction on-off switch on my K20. Right on the back where I can easily see at any time what I have set (no need to open the INFO screen).
Ability to use M lenses in A mode (= would require a delay in shutter release so the meter could set the shutter after the lens stopped down). Considering all that happens in a split second when using wireless TTL flash, it should be possible.
03-16-2016, 05:49 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Ability to use M lenses in A mode (= would require a delay in shutter release so the meter could set the shutter after the lens stopped down). Considering all that happens in a split second when using wireless TTL flash, it should be possible.
That's an interesting way of implementing it! It has interesting implications for TAv mode too...
03-16-2016, 05:59 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sideway Quote
It's a taxation issue. For exposure longer than 30-seconds it'd be categorized as a video camcorder and taxed differently.
wow - didn't know that

03-16-2016, 06:26 AM - 1 Like   #8
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
First and foremost the articulated screen.
Hmmm, I've always been quite creative and clever with my software work. Let me see if I can get into the delivered firmware and figure out how to do this one
03-16-2016, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Hmmm, I've always been quite creative and clever with my software work. Let me see if I can get into the delivered firmware and figure out how to do this one
Sorry. Didn't notice that this was software upgrade. Read it as K3 upgrade = next top level APS-C body
03-16-2016, 06:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If they would just add the improvements in pixel shift that appears to have been put into K1 I'd be perfectly happy (ie ability to deal with small movement)
Why pixel shift can't be used with flash is a bit of a mystery to me, and if they fixed that all would be even better.
03-16-2016, 07:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

no flappy mirror issues EVER

The K-1 view finder (electronic grid system)
03-16-2016, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

The possibility to save/backup settings to a SD card
03-16-2016, 07:56 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
If they would just add the improvements in pixel shift that appears to have been put into K1 I'd be perfectly happy (ie ability to deal with small movement)
Why pixel shift can't be used with flash is a bit of a mystery to me, and if they fixed that all would be even better.
I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but is there a difference between the K3II and the K3 hardware such that it is impossible for the K3 to have pixel shift via a firmware? If there's none, then this is just a matter of product differentiation, no?
03-16-2016, 08:03 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
The K-1 view finder (electronic grid system)
That requires a hardware fix rather than firmware.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
If they would just add the improvements in pixel shift that appears to have been put into K1 I'd be perfectly happy
It would be interesting to see if this too depended on hardware improvements (e.g. in the precision and capability of the sensor-shift motors). As for the flash, I'm sure there are reasons - perhaps as Photokina gets nearer, Adam could consider taking a set of questions to put to the Ricoh people there? I'm sure Pentaxians will have a lot to talk about there, as the K-1 and all its lenses should have been out in the hands of consumers for quite a few accumulated shutter clicks and people will have suggestions for improvements or things that need rectifying.

Up until now, Pentax firmware updates have been regarded by some as a bit of a few-and-far-between thing, but I would hope that with the R&D effort attached to the K-1 mostly over, some resources might be freed up and this might change.

Ultimately one might ask if any Pentax body with shake reduction can have pixel shift added in firmware - I suspect the answer to this is probably "no", and if one spoke fluent technical Japanese one would quickly learn why.
03-16-2016, 08:10 AM   #15

Photos: Albums
A way to lock the cursors from changing settings such as WB, flash,.... I have them changed quite a lot of times unconsciously!