Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-20-2016, 12:51 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Is there a backup body for the K3ii?

As I get more entrenched in Pentax gear, I'm starting to think about a backup body to my K3ii. I could keep a second, less used lens on it, and use it should the unthinkable happen... K3ii failure while traveling.

Any suggestions for a cost effective second body? Also, is there a body that accepts the K lenses but is smaller?

Thanks for helping me learn.

John

03-20-2016, 12:56 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Johnontheroad Quote
As I get more entrenched in Pentax gear, I'm starting to think about a backup body to my K3ii. I could keep a second, less used lens on it, and use it should the unthinkable happen... K3ii failure while traveling.

Any suggestions for a cost effective second body? Also, is there a body that accepts the K lenses but is smaller?

John
If you want to go smaller, maybe the K-S2? But to keep things consistent I'd recommend getting a K-3 as a backup, maybe second-hand.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-20-2016, 01:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would suggest either a K3 or K5iis (I use the K5iis) that way all your accessories such as batteries, cable release etc. match.

All these bodies are about the same size, you might get a couple of millimeters difference, but that's about it.

Cheers, Bruce
03-20-2016, 01:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-3 to keep the controls the same.

Any other body really if that is not a concern.

Personally I think the k-1 would be the perfect backup.

03-20-2016, 01:35 PM   #5
amp

k3. I just got a second body used. So far, so good. I can't speak about the k3ii, but the k3 is such a wonderful camera!
I thought about maybe getting a k30/50, but it's more than likely a good step down. Actually, I did have a kx before buying the k3. After the k3 arrived, I couldn't bring myself to pick the kx back up. I'm spoiled with the k3!!
03-20-2016, 01:36 PM   #6
npc
Veteran Member

Strictly as a backup option - k-s1 is the cheapest and probably the smallest k-mount camera that you can still buy new.
03-20-2016, 02:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Full list of K mount DSLRs is here: Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Pentax Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
I think most are smaller than the K-3II. A decent backup would be a K-5IIs (lots of features, great sensor, some say it has less noise than the K-3) or K-50 (really popular camera, compact!) or if you want something that is still sold as new: K-S2
Some people like the older DSLRs, but with the prices of K-50 and K-S1 being so low, it is difficult to justify anything older than K-5 imo

You can also use this tool for a quick comparison: Pentax K-1 vs. Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-S2 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

03-20-2016, 02:57 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Johnontheroad Quote

John
Prices are so close (K3 vs. K3II), might as well get a second K3II. I have a pair of K3s and a K5IIs. I never had a need for a backup as the K3 I use most of the time has never failed me. Over the years, for assignment work, I always had two identical bodies (Canon and now Pentax). I find identical bodies are easier to navigate as everything is identical, including resolution, etc. and I do not have to go from menu to menu from different bodies.

Just my two cents.
03-20-2016, 03:02 PM   #9

how about the unloved brother, the K-01? it does not feature an OVF, but it is considerably smaller than existing pentax dslrs. if you are looking for something cheaper, you may also want to consider the k-x, its quite a light camera
03-20-2016, 03:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

K-x is my backup for my K-5, which is my backup for my K-3.

K-x is nice and small, comparable to K-S1 or K-S2, if size is critical, and used K-x should be very cheap nowadays.
03-20-2016, 03:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by skunktail Quote
I would suggest either a K3 or K5iis (I use the K5iis) that way all your accessories such as batteries, cable release etc. match
Good advice imo. A used K5 is outstanding value for money too
03-20-2016, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Prices are so close (K3 vs. K3II), might as well get a second K3II.
Well not necessarily: might be good to have one for flash and one for astro

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-20-2016, 07:24 PM   #13

Photos: Gallery
The obvious back up is a k3ii, but a K50 does get the shot and will do most of what you need. You could get a k-50 and rent a k3ii body on those times you really need it. If you are looking small, but it is some money you can adapt k mount lenses to the Q system.
03-20-2016, 07:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I have a K5IIs and a K-01 as back up. I'm thinking of making the K-01 as my main travel camera even. Photos are superb and it's nice and light and reasonably compact. The part I like is it takes the same battery as the K5 series.
03-20-2016, 09:20 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by jayman_1975 Quote
I have a K5IIs and a K-01 as back up. I'm thinking of making the K-01 as my main travel camera even. Photos are superb and it's nice and light and reasonably compact. The part I like is it takes the same battery as the K5 series.
I second the k-01. I picked one to be the backup for my k-5 (haven't yet bought a k3ii..but soon). Anyway uses the same battery as the-5&-3s and it is small. Although I got it as a backup, I take it with me more than the k-5 as a just in case a shot pops up because it fits well in my brief case and isn't too heavy. I actually bought a second one for my wife thinking to get her more involved with me in photography ...its so easy too use but that hasn't work that wellyet .. She still takes more pics with her iPad
Andy