Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2016, 02:31 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-3, Sigma 150-500mm

I had many happy times with my K-5. A couple of years ago, I bought a K-3, which presented me with a bigger learning curve than I had with the K-5. But, the one issue I have been having the biggest problem with is being able to use my Sigma 150-500mm lens. It is the last issue before Sigma discontinued it.
It has worked fine with my K-5, but the autofocus does not work with the K-3. When I press the shutter half-way to focus, it goes to the close focus, no matter how far away the subject is. I've had to resort to always using manual focus when mounting it on my K-3. But, it sure was nice to have that feature when I was in situations where I was panning with a moving subject.
Has anyone else encountered this problem? And if you did, what kind of fix did you find, if there was one?
Thanks

03-21-2016, 02:35 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have been using the 150-500 with the K-3 for nearly a year now. No problems. Have you tried using it with back button focus (AF2)?
03-21-2016, 02:38 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a K-3II and Sigma 150-500 OS. It is K mount, so the AF works. I do not see how yours does not focus. Do you have the AF on the lens set to on? Do you have the OS on the lens set to on and/or the camera SR on?
03-21-2016, 03:40 PM   #4

I have had this combination for 9 months and have no issues with focus at all.

03-21-2016, 03:47 PM   #5

Some older in-lens firmware doesn't support K-3/ K-3II unfortunately.
I had same problem with BIGMA, 50-500mm F4.5-5.6 OS HSM on K-3II.
Only what you can do is send the lens to SIGMA and ask them to update the firmware in it.
They did it for me with free of charge and paid shipping fee, however, it may depend where you live.
Contact them. At least the head office in Japan noticed this issue even if international branches may not.
Hope this info helps.

Good luck!
03-21-2016, 04:19 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I have been using the 150-500 with the K-3 for nearly a year now. No problems. Have you tried using it with back button focus (AF2)?
What is back focus?
Thanks

---------- Post added 03-21-16 at 06:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by yukon-bearspirit Quote
Some older in-lens firmware doesn't support K-3/ K-3II unfortunately.
I had same problem with BIGMA, 50-500mm F4.5-5.6 OS HSM on K-3II.
Only what you can do is send the lens to SIGMA and ask them to update the firmware in it.
They did it for me with free of charge and paid shipping fee, however, it may depend where you live.
Contact them. At least the head office in Japan noticed this issue even if international branches may not.
Hope this info helps.

Good luck!
I'll go to Sigma's website, and see if I can find out from them. I'll shoot them the serial #, to see what they can tell me.
Thank you

---------- Post added 03-21-16 at 06:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I have a K-3II and Sigma 150-500 OS. It is K mount, so the AF works. I do not see how yours does not focus. Do you have the AF on the lens set to on? Do you have the OS on the lens set to on and/or the camera SR on?
I have the lens and camera set to auto focus. I turn the SR off on the lens. Unless I'm using a tripod, then I turn off all SR.
Thanks

---------- Post added 03-21-16 at 06:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I usually have the lens SR turned off. Although, I have tried the reverse a few times. Didn't notice any difference. I have the auto focus turned on, on both the camera and lens.
Thanks

---------- Post added 03-21-16 at 06:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I guess I misspoke in my reply. What do you mean by using "back button focus (AF2)"?
Thanks, again
03-21-2016, 04:41 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I think when back button focus was mentioned to you, the person meant the af button on the back of the camera.

It looks like you are doing everything right as long as you don't have the SR (camera) and OS (lens) on at the same time.

I ordered a Sigma 50-500 that I tried on my K-3II and it did not have fully functioning AF, so I sent it back.

Maybe the firmware update that was mentioned earlier is what is needed. To make sure you may want to contact Sigma customer service about your situation and see if they can help you out. Even their advice may be helpful. The Sigma 150-500 OS lens is/was advertised as and is a K mount lens, so it should function with a Pentax DSLR.

Last edited by C_Jones; 03-21-2016 at 04:47 PM.
03-21-2016, 04:43 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sigma 150-500mm and teleconverters

As long as I've got a thread started about the Sigma 150-500mm, if I could trouble some of you to answer another question.
Have any of you ever used this lens with a 1.4X or 2.0X teleconverter? I know when I checked the Sigma data base after I had already purchased this lens, and I noticed the dreaded asterisk which took me to a note that the Pentax version of this lens was not supposed to be compatible with teleconverters. But it doesn't explain if it is because there are physical attributes that may damage the lens or camera if you use one. Or if it's a matter of electronics that may fry something, or maybe because it just that AF will not be available. I haven't even attempted to try using one for fear I would wreck something and find myself making a very costly mistake.
Thanks, again, for you help, and sharing your knowledge.
03-21-2016, 04:56 PM   #9
Pentaxian

The Pentax teleconverter has been claimed to operate well with for example the Pentax 150-450 5.6 lens. The Sigma 150-500 has been claimed to operate with it also, but is not listed as compatible due to the 6.3 focal spec, causing slowed focus due to the decrease in light availability. I have also read differing opinions on its function with the 150-500, some saying it works and some saying it is slow.
03-21-2016, 06:45 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sigma listed the 150-500 as incompatible with their 1.4x TC for the simple reason that the Pentax version of the TC did not have HSM.

Back Button autofocus disables the half press AF on the shutter button. You focus by pressing the AF button on the back of the camera. You set it in camera menu 4 (Button Customization). But if the lens has a firmware problem, and doesn't work with the shutter half press, it probably won't work with the back button either.