Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2016, 11:43 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
have to admit that is (pic 2) one of the most unusual backgrounds I have seen
Did you get a chance to run the pic in another program?

Randy

03-22-2016, 12:33 PM   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
I'm pretty confident it's a combination of an already-busy bokeh compounded with the Hard Sharpening setting... But yes, it's "distinctive"
03-22-2016, 02:00 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Possibly...

If you had imported your RAW DNG (or PEF) file into different image processing software (such as Lightroom, RawTherapee etc.), that software would ignore any of the in-camera image settings, and simply load the raw image data along with the white balance information and various metadata. What you'd then see is a fairly flat-looking file that you can start work on. DCU5 works differently, in that it also reads the in-camera image settings as it loads the raw image data, and applies them in the same way that the camera would for a JPEG file (this is great if you want to replicate what the camera does internally for JPEGs).

Try loading one of those RAW images into DCU5 and then, in the "Custom Image" tab, make sure your settings look like those in the attached image - adjust them as necessary. Importantly, make sure you have no sharpening applied to begin with. See how that looks, and let us know?

EDIT: One more thing... do you have a filter fitted to your lens? If you do, try shooting with it removed. Occasionally, some UV filters can add strange effects to out-of-focus areas - particularly busy backgrounds such as grass and foliage. I've experienced this myself. I suspect that isn't the problem here, but for the purposes of testing and proving your camera is OK, let's minimise the variables
Thanks again for your time - much appreciated !

OK, so I imported the file (intact DNG) into DCU5, using the settings that you recommended and making sure that there are no sharpening.
One thing though, this file was taken with the parameter "bright" to begin with .... would that also account for some of the "problem" ?
Anyway ... the result was the same: no difference in this background annoyance.
I haven't had the chance to get more pictures today but the camera is now set with sRGB (same as with the K5) and "natural" (custom picture) which shows all parameters in the middle.
I will attempt to get "some birds" in the backyard (if they can show up because of this continuous cold weather here they might not)
and use different f-stops as well.

Filters: none.

JP

---------- Post added 03-22-16 at 05:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
I opened the RAW file in ACR (I had made a copy of the original file first) and the results are the same. I did not "save" and just hit "cancel" without any further doing.
Randy
I'm pretty confident it's a combination of an already-busy bokeh compounded with the Hard Sharpening setting... But yes, it's "distinctive"
Annoying bit this is.
I am going out now and try to find me some birds in the backyard before sunset!
Cheers!
03-22-2016, 02:18 PM   #19
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmmm. OK, well let's see what you get from your next set of tests with everything reset. What bothers me a little is that you say you tried loading your DNG file into ACR and got the same result? That really should rule out the custom image settings having any impact - colour balance, contrast, sharpening etc.

And this DA* 300 lens is one you've used on your previous camera, right?

If you still get the problem, you can send me the complete DNG file if you like, and I'll take a look through the EXIF data and load it through the various image processing applications I have here to see if we get any difference. After that, it's a case of testing that lens on a different body...

03-22-2016, 03:58 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hmmm. OK, well let's see what you get from your next set of tests with everything reset. What bothers me a little is that you say you tried loading your DNG file into ACR and got the same result? That really should rule out the custom image settings having any impact - colour balance, contrast, sharpening etc.

And this DA* 300 lens is one you've used on your previous camera, right?

If you still get the problem, you can send me the complete DNG file if you like, and I'll take a look through the EXIF data and load it through the various image processing applications I have here to see if we get any difference. After that, it's a case of testing that lens on a different body...
Thanks !
((no recent pictures yet ... sundown here))
The DA*300/4 lens is the same lens I have been using for years on the K7 and K5 indeed with very good results. (You can check in my signature and this will take you to my Flickr account .... tons of good ones in there with this gear: K5 and DA*300/4.

So next steps:
1. "test" again with the same setup.
2. check if the problem is still there.
3. send a DNG file to you (if needed, of course).
4. re-test with the good 'ol K5 !
5. decide what to do ... or not to do !

Cheers!
03-22-2016, 04:11 PM   #21
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Thanks !
((no recent pictures yet ... sundown here))
The DA*300/4 lens is the same lens I have been using for years on the K7 and K5 indeed with very good results. (You can check in my signature and this will take you to my Flickr account .... tons of good ones in there with this gear: K5 and DA*300/4.

So next steps:
1. "test" again with the same setup.
2. check if the problem is still there.
3. send a DNG file to you (if needed, of course).
4. re-test with the good 'ol K5 !
5. decide what to do ... or not to do !

Cheers!
Sounds like a plan