Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2016, 01:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Viewfinder focus confirmation on k-3

Hi,
This might be a stupid question but I want to change my k-x to k-3 and I would like someone to confirm that on k-3 there is confirmation on focus point when using viewfinder.
I am asking because on k-x there is none.. I somehow got used to it but when taking photos of few people or people dancing/moving or any composition with many close layers when using AF it happens for camera to choose wrong AF point (I mean not the one I want )

The good old k-x does not show on viewfinder any point/square showing where is the AF and while You can succesfully work with that it just would be easier to have that function, especially with small children playing (and I will have one soon

Thanks
Greg

04-01-2016, 01:41 AM   #2
Unregistered User

Yes. I does
04-01-2016, 02:08 AM   #3
Forum Member

It certainly does. Have a look at my video on YouTube shot through the viewfinder of the K-3 :
04-01-2016, 02:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by radeon7750 Quote
It certainly does. Have a look at my video on YouTube shot through the viewfinder of the K-3 : https://youtu.be/tJXdMJMchdY
@radeon7750
Thx for movie, but I see only the center point AF. If You have set multipoint af then will it confirm on viewfinder that for example chosen AF point in top right corner? e.g. if You shot in the middle of those figures could it cach one of them and show the AF point somehwere in the outer AF section?

04-01-2016, 02:48 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gelokrol Quote
@radeon7750
Thx for movie, but I see only the center point AF. If You have set multipoint af then will it confirm on viewfinder that for example chosen AF point in top right corner? e.g. if You shot in the middle of those figures could it cach one of them and show the AF point somehwere in the outer AF section?

in viewfinder I think there is only one AF confirmation focus point, in the middle. And when I use it, I use only that one ( in LCD view also),
because I want to determine the correct distance, and I rather do reframing after focusing, then use some of the confusing AF logarhythm with multiple focus points, cause I never know what will be in focus.

I CENTER MY SUBJECT, OR THE SUBJECTS NEAR BY AND STICK TO THAT DISTANCE. I also choose apertures from 5,6 and above to 8 , when I'm not so sure that I will be hit the sharpness

If you're struggling to focus, because it's to dark, or the subjects are to fast for lens, or you have the dim light atmosphere , you can choose manual focus, and set in LCD cropview, to see, you're in focus,
or in viewfinder, you can also see the red square, when subject in center, behind it, is in exact focus,
and that is very helpfull

Remember to choose aperture with 5,6 or above, don't go lower, because if you have even little movement , you'll miss your focus point, and picture will be useless

Last edited by panonski; 04-01-2016 at 02:57 AM.
04-01-2016, 02:49 AM - 1 Like   #6

@radeon7750
Only on an auto focus lens for some reason, but yes. Manual focus lenses can only use the central point.
04-01-2016, 03:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@Dipsoid
Thanks for answer, thats exactly what I wanted to know.

@panonski
Thx, I know all of that and I do not have problem with AF 95% of time
My question was aimed at situation when You do not have any (or almost any) control on subjects and in auto mode (which happens a lot when my camera is being used by different people in the room (read: during friends/family party), who can't use any other mode :P). When i get back my camera and forget I am on auto I sometimes made photos that were out of focus because on auto it caught not the center subject but e.g. someone sitting next to him/her because the k-x does not show the af point. I think on k-3 it should not be a problem as I would see what/who is caught by AF.

Thanks for answers. Thread can be closed

04-01-2016, 03:31 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
in viewfinder I think there is only one AF confirmation focus point, in the middle. And when I use it, I use only that one ( in LCD view also),
I am either misreading your comment or you got this wrong, when you select a focus point you can see it's position in the viewfinder and it flashes when confirming focus (except manual focus lenses, then you are right).
QuoteOriginally posted by Dipsoid Quote
Only on an auto focus lens for some reason, but yes. Manual focus lenses can only use the central point.
+1
04-01-2016, 03:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
I am either misreading your comment or you got this wrong, when you select a focus point you can see it's position in the viewfinder and it flashes when confirming focus (except manual focus lenses, then you are right).

+1

yes, you're right I rarely use it, and I just playin' with it
04-02-2016, 10:07 PM   #10
Forum Member

@radeon7750
@gelokrol Yes, when you set the camera to use multipoint AF, you can use any focus point of the 27 available and it will show up (in red) in the viewfinder so you'll know which subject the camera has focused on.

P.S. In the video I only used the center point AF because that's what I usually use and also because the 3 center points are luminance flux sensors and I was using a very fast lens, the Sigma 50mm f1.4 DG EX HSM.