Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2016, 10:54 AM   #1
Site Supporter

K3ii battery died overnight

So far, battery life has not been a problem with my K-3ii. I charge it whenever it needs it, or just when I think I should. But I usually only charge it every 4 days or so. The last full charge on my battery was two days ago. Yesterday, I used the camera, but only for a dozen or so images. I then turned it off and put it on the shelf.

This morning, tried to turn it on and got the message "DEPLETED BATTERY". Not a real problem, just switched batteries and and put the depleted one on the charger. It now indicates a full charge.

I'm wondering if there is something left on that caused the battery to drain? I've read that leaving the GPS logging function may cause the battery drain, and although I almost always use the GPS but I never use the logging function. And as stated I'm quite sure I turned the camera off the last time.

Any suggestions? If I did something I shouldn't have I would like to know....

== John

04-01-2016, 11:30 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Well, the batteries themselves eventually die, won't hold a charge. Or they get knocked off the charger and aren't as charged as you think. Was this a newer battery that came with the camera? See if the same thing keeps happening with that battery (as long as you don't notice any other weirdness when using it, in which case I wouldn't use that one) and if it happens with other batteries. (I suppose the charger itself going bad is also an outside possibility.)

Last edited by vonBaloney; 04-01-2016 at 01:07 PM.
04-01-2016, 02:03 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Johnontheroad Quote
So far, battery life has not been a problem with my K-3ii. I charge it whenever it needs it, or just when I think I should. But I usually only charge it every 4 days or so. The last full charge on my battery was two days ago. Yesterday, I used the camera, but only for a dozen or so images. I then turned it off and put it on the shelf.

This morning, tried to turn it on and got the message "DEPLETED BATTERY". Not a real problem, just switched batteries and and put the depleted one on the charger. It now indicates a full charge.

I'm wondering if there is something left on that caused the battery to drain? I've read that leaving the GPS logging function may cause the battery drain, and although I almost always use the GPS but I never use the logging function. And as stated I'm quite sure I turned the camera off the last time.

Any suggestions? If I did something I shouldn't have I would like to know....

== John
Is your camera affected by this?

Pentax K-3 II Service Advisory - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-01-2016, 02:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The battery is the one that came with the camera, and never gave a problem before. And it died when in the camera, not the charger. I have recharged the battery and it is now in the camera, so we'll see if the issue repeats itself. Guess I'll know more tomorrow AM....

My serial number is well above the cutoff point for the service bulletin.

== John

04-01-2016, 04:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Same situation for me about 3 weeks. But battery has not die, try to charge completly and take out the battery when you don't use the camera. i suspect the camera had the culpability and discharges completly the battery
04-25-2016, 06:30 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been noticing this myself. I could leave my K-5 on the shelf for weeks and the battery never seemed to drain, while if my K-3II sits for a couple of days with the switch off the battery is completely drained. I am going to experiment a little with the settings to see if it has something to do with the GPS being on.

I had hoped my 600th post was a little more interesting, but I got tired of waiting for a decent shot
04-27-2016, 07:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm waiting the results of your experiment

04-28-2016, 06:30 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I left it sit one night with the GPS off and two nights with the GPS on and the battery is at 3 bars still. When I want it to drain it is not doing it.

Here is another thought I will try. If I turn the power switch off, the battery does not drain, but maybe if I leave it on and let it go to standby, that will be when it happens.