Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-07-2016, 01:05 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
saturation and sharpness settings in k-3

Hi all,

I'm little bit confused with some mention things in this article, and not sure is it true, or I'm missing something in my menu of K3.

Question.
Does K-3 have saturation, and sharpness, and etc .. settings in itself, or not?

Pentax K-3 Review - Exposure

Maybe it has for RAW development, but I'm not into it at all

04-07-2016, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
These settings can be changed from the menu that you open with the right directional button. Only JPEGs will be affected of course
04-07-2016, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yes it does, via the custom image menu. There are many presets plus sliders that you can use to adjust shaprness, saturation, hue, and other parameters.

Here's a comparison of the presets:
Pentax K-3 Review - General Image Quality | PentaxForums.com Reviews

These are applied in JPEG mode and they can also be applied when developing RAW files in-camera or using the Pentax desktop software.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-08-2016, 01:29 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Jesus,

I've been looking for this several times, and never seen this hidden settings !
And I've searched for it! And I concluded there is no such settings in K3 ! LOL What an idiot I'm

Thanks volks !

ps

I just find in these menu some interesting details. Sharpness, Fine Sharpness, Extra Sharpness. Are they following each other?

For example - If would be just one scale - just one Sharpness scale, would these three main settings be behind of each other?

Each one of them have 9 steps, so in one scale, if they follow each other, would be 27 steps from lowest to highest sharpness, right ?

Should I get this for sure?
Further,
I believe you all know the sharpness colaborate with noise and contrast. More sharpness, more noise, and more contrast.

What is your prefered settings ? With AA simulator ON, specially in Mode 2, your sharpness significantly drop down, so I believe you must set extra sharpness in these modes.

I set, my settings for now, and I would experiment some more

For right now, in Natural mode I set my Hue on plus 2 , because pictures was to red, ad unnaturaly warm with "0".

I increase shadows for one step, and decrease highlights also one step down.

For two steps up I increase regular Sharpness, and Contrast.

High Key definition one step up, beacuse I already increase shadows.

-------

What's yours favorites ?

Last edited by panonski; 04-08-2016 at 03:38 AM.
04-08-2016, 03:53 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The different Sharpness "types" are Radius settings - they don't follow each other, they sharpen progressively smaller areas of the image at a time.

For reds, try Muted
04-08-2016, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
Further,
I believe you all know the sharpness colaborate with noise and contrast. More sharpness, more noise, and more contrast.
The second sentence above is not strictly true. Noise is determined by the sensor, ISO setting (which amplifies in varying amounts the signal coming from the sensor) and the amount of light (more light = more signal to overcome the inherent noise, thus darker regions appearing noisier). What sharpening does is to enhance the appearance of the noise by increasing the contrast between darker and lighter boundaries in your photo.

As far as settings are concerned I shoot raw almost exclusively, but I have generally set Natural with slightly enhanced sharpness,contrast and saturation for the few times that I actually shoot in jpg. And I leave the AA simulator Off, as I can correct most moire in post production (and the subjects I shoot most frequently would not tend to produce it in the first place).
04-08-2016, 09:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've just found the Reversal film as the best filter for shooting, I'm very pleased with the effect... Interesting thing, in this mode, under "info" there is just Sharpness option, and it is already set to the Fine Sharpness +1...

Wow, the pictures from now will be much more pleased to my eye

How is your fill, about Reversal mode ?

04-08-2016, 10:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Keep in mind that all these settings are related to JPEG only (not just the color-related ones). Oddly they apply equally to both shooting modes - JPEG stills and video. As I nearly always process stills from RAW, my settings are used for best video output. Generally, that calls for reduced contrast for more of a "film look."

In any event, whether JPEG stills or video, I tend to find that Pentax is very conservative with the sharpening setting at default (and that tends to lower ratings from the review sites). I find that the middle setting - Fine Sharpening - is most effective for achieving a natural look and avoiding halos. I like to use +2 which still does not look at all oversharpened to my eye. It is worth playing around (testing) those sharpening effects, as they vary considerably.
04-08-2016, 10:27 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Keep in mind that all these settings are related to JPEG only (not just the color-related ones). Oddly they apply equally to both shooting modes - JPEG stills and video. As I nearly always process stills from RAW, my settings are used for best video output. Generally, that calls for reduced contrast for more of a "film look."

In any event, whether JPEG stills or video, I tend to find that Pentax is very conservative with the sharpening setting at default (and that tends to lower ratings from the review sites). I find that the middle setting - Fine Sharpening - is most effective for achieving a natural look and avoiding halos. I like to use +2 which still does not look at all oversharpened to my eye. It is worth playing around (testing) those sharpening effects, as they vary considerably.

yes thank you, I also noticed that fine sharpness, with AA off, is very fine indeed. And I'm also aware of Pentax default sharpening settings, which is little soft, and yes it tends to low rates in reviews..

So glad to find these settings - FINALLY