Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-15-2016, 12:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

EXIFTool - AF Point in Focus

K-3 firmware 1.21

I just noticed that for images taken after a certain date, EXIFTool is showing (None) for the AFPointinFocus field, regardless of lens used. This is the case regardless of whether the AFPointSelected is Fixed Center; Single Point or Zone Select Center; Single Point.

Focus Mode is AF-S (Focus Priority).

What did I do to my K-3 to cause this?

04-15-2016, 12:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My profoundly unscientific guess would be that firmware 1.21 changed your K3's exif output and that EXIFtool can't read it anymore
04-15-2016, 01:32 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
My profoundly unscientific guess would be that firmware 1.21 changed your K3's exif output and that EXIFtool can't read it anymore
That is a reasonable guess!

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
EXIFTool is showing (None)
Question...are you getting this result for out-of-camera JPEG, PEF, and/or DNG or have the files been processed by a tool?

Does PDCU 5 have similar fields without values? While Pentax has been known to change field mappings between models or add to the mappings/values, the fields and their mappings generally don't "go away" with firmware update, partially because doing so will create problems for Pentax software already deployed.

Which ExifTool version? The current release is v.10.14. If yours is lower than v9.96 you might want to update.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-15-2016 at 02:19 PM.
04-15-2016, 02:49 PM   #4
bxf
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Nice try, but no I have shots taken after the 1.21 update that are OK.

---------- Post added 15-04-16 at 22:56 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Question...are you getting this result for out-of-camera JPEG, PEF, and/or DNG or have the files been processed by a tool?
Steve
DNG as well as OOC JPEGs.

Does PDCU 5 have similar fields without values? While Pentax has been known to change field mappings between models or add to the mappings/values, the fields and their mappings generally don't "go away" with firmware update, partially because doing so will create problems for Pentax software already deployed.

Which ExifTool version? The current release is v.10.14. If yours is lower than v9.96 you might want to update.

Steve
I don't have PDCU installed, so I can't check immediately. I may give it a shot if I don't find a solution.

I'm using EXIFTool 10.14. The fact that it displays good data for older images but not more recent ones implies a change in the EXIF data, rather than the software.

04-15-2016, 03:32 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No such problem for me, using either exiftool 9.77 or 10.14. My K3 has v1.21 installed.

Could it be that the camera is not registering that the shot was actually in focus?

You could of course try a camera reset (spanner menu page 3) if it annoys you enough.
04-15-2016, 03:40 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'm using EXIFTool 10.14. The fact that it displays good data for older images but not more recent ones implies a change in the EXIF data, rather than the software.
I agree.

I can imagine a couple of cases where mode might be AF-S and AFPointsInFocus not have a value (AF on with non-conductive base lens or AF off and image not in focus for either), but none where all images after a certain date would have no bits flipped for the tag value (the case where "(none)" is returned).

Might it be that the good people at ExifTool got the usage for this tag wrong for the K-3 and that the location is junk and/or indeterminant? Phil Harvey might be interested in hearing about this.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-15-2016 at 04:05 PM.
04-15-2016, 10:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

it works fine with mine:
ExifTool Version Number : 10.14
File Name : PK3_7428.JPG
File Size : 12 MB
File Modification Date/Time : 2016:04:04 15:13:35+02:00
File Type : JPEG
Make : RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.
Software : PENTAX K-3 Ver. 1.21
Modify Date : 2016:04:04 15:13:35
Artist : Joergens.mi
Copyright : CC-BY-SA_3.0
Exposure Time : 1/400
F Number : 8.0
Exposure Program : Aperture-priority AE
Standard Output Sensitivity : 250
Exif Version : 0230
Flash : Off, Did not fire
Focal Length : 36.0 mm
Pentax Version : 11.0.0.0
Quality : Best
Focus Mode : AF-S (Focus-priority)
AF Point Selected : Center; Single Point
AF Points In Focus : Center
ISO : 250

04-16-2016, 03:32 AM - 2 Likes   #8
bxf
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, found it. Problem occurs when the AF Button Customization is set to AF2 Enable AF2 i.e. disable shutter release AF - use AF button only. Other settings result in correct value for the AFPointinFocus field,

Thanks all for the replies.
04-17-2016, 07:24 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

OK, found it. Problem occurs when the AF Button Customization is set to AF2 Enable AF2 i.e. disable shutter release AF - use AF button only. Other settings result in correct value for the AFPointinFocus field,

Thanks all for the replies.
It looks like you may have found a bug! Congratulations!

Steve
05-27-2018, 03:24 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Does PDCU 5 have similar fields without values?
What do you mean with this?
05-27-2018, 09:26 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
What do you mean with this?
Are you having a similar problem? This thread from a few years back was resolved (K-3 firmware bug). One of the challenges of "mining" the EXIF makernotes is that none of the fields (places where data are found) have labels. As noted in the thread, the Pentax tag names in ExifTool are the developers' best guess as to usage. OTOH, the makers of the PDCU software are privy to the true use of those fields. "No value" in both PDCU and ExifTool would rule out a bug or mistaken label in ExifTool.

Steve
05-27-2018, 10:06 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I'd just love a program which adds an overlay of the used/active focus point(s) over an image. Not just the miniature 160x120px thumbnail like in PhotoME.
05-27-2018, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
I'd just love a program which adds an overlay of the used/active focus point(s) over an image. Not just the miniature 160x120px thumbnail like in PhotoME.
Yes, that would be useful to satisfy curiosity or for troubleshooting. The data are there. As a stop-gap, an existing overlay image may be layered on in Photoshop (or similar) to assist in visualization. I did a Google image search some time back and there are several out there. This image from the PF K-1 review might be modified to suit...

Steve
05-27-2018, 10:55 AM   #14
Pentaxian

That's what i'm hoping for the K-1 and future cameras (not only K-3 like in this thread category)!
Program which will show focus point? - PentaxForums.com