Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2016, 03:22 AM   #1

Autofocus stopped working on new k3II

Hi!
I just bought a new Pentax k3ii. I have had it for only a couple of days. I have been very happy with the camera, and have found it a good upgrade to the ks2. Today the autofocus stopped working in P/Sv/Tv/Av/ and M-mode. It works fine in green mode an U-modes. I am on vacation and have only brought the 20-40mm lens with me. I shot a soccer match in the rain yesterday with the 50-135, but that has never been a problem with the ks2. What should i do?

Best wishes,

Knut

05-23-2016, 03:40 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Knut - welcome to the forums When you say autofocus has stopped working, what do you mean exactly - does the camera *try* to focus and fail, or does nothing happen at all when you half-press the shutter release? Have you tried selecting the different AF modes (AF.S, AF.C, AF.A) and different AF areas?
05-23-2016, 03:40 AM   #3
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check to make sure that the AF/MF lever on the left hand side of the camera by the lens hasn't been bumped into the MF position.

I have been caught by that before - same symptoms

Ross
05-23-2016, 03:42 AM   #4
Forum Member

HI,

I don't have a K3 only a K5 and I am sure that others will post more meaningful responses. If you are in a bind and as a last resort you could try a setup (tab3) reset and/or a custom function (tab4) reset which should restore it to factory defaults. This would at least reset the camera so you could ensure whether or not the camera is working correctly and not just an unusual setting you have made by accident.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Cheers

05-23-2016, 03:53 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by freddyisaac Quote
HI,

I don't have a K3 only a K5 and I am sure that others will post more meaningful responses. If you are in a bind and as a last resort you could try a setup (tab3) reset and/or a custom function (tab4) reset which should restore it to factory defaults. This would at least reset the camera so you could ensure whether or not the camera is working correctly and not just an unusual setting you have made by accident.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Cheers
The K-3, unlike the K-5, stores AF settings (AF-C vs AF-S) in the menu system.

I would therefore suspect that your P/Tv/Av/Sv settings differ from your user settings.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-23-2016, 04:23 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for replies! One of the reasons i switched from Sony to Pentax was this excellent forum

I tried to reset the camera, and then the autofocus started working again. The problem was that nothing happened when I pressed the shutter button (except in green and U-modes).

Looking forward to many happy moments with the new camera!

Best wishes,

Knut
05-23-2016, 04:56 AM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Glad to hear it's all OK, Knut. As Adam indicated, this is almost certain to be a case of incorrect settings - you may have inadvertently changed something.

Enjoy your new camera, and your holiday

05-23-2016, 05:31 AM   #8

Original Poster
Yes, probably a settings issue (,but I canīt think of which).

Thanks a lot, BigMackCam!

Knut
05-23-2016, 06:21 AM   #9
Pentaxian

are you using the AF button at the rear or the half press of the release button for AF?
You might have changed the settings of the AF behaviour of your K-3II? can you check and press the button on the rear right side labelled AF the next time.... :-)

Last edited by max_pyne; 05-23-2016 at 06:31 AM.
05-23-2016, 07:39 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
One more possible cause: The K-3 II has a setting to only auto focus w/ the back button and disable AF when half pressing the shutter button. It's on the 4th page of camera settings, under button customization (page 79 in the manual).
07-09-2016, 03:56 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Mine did that: I had to remove the battery and put it back in to get AF working again.