Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-24-2016, 12:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We shoot with 64GB and 32GB in my K-3II and my wife's K-S2. A freshly formated 64GB card in my K-3II will get 1214 RAW images.
I have yet to fill a card yet alone two in my K-3II.

06-26-2016, 04:47 PM   #17
Unregistered

Thanks for all the input, I've just ordered two of the Lexar 64GB cards from B&H, $18 each!

I tend to take a lot of photos while on trips (shooting in burst mode), and I don't want to mess with spare cards or transferring to PC if I can help it.
06-27-2016, 10:33 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tediscool310 Quote
Thanks for all the input, I've just ordered two of the Lexar 64GB cards from B&H, $18 each!

I tend to take a lot of photos while on trips (shooting in burst mode), and I don't want to mess with spare cards or transferring to PC if I can help it.
I have two 64's as well, shooting RAW + JPEG. They should last you quite a while.

Since you like shooting in burst mode you should test your cards before you trust them with your pictures. I had an issue with mine where I would have a card access error during prolonged bursts or continuous reads. (Here's a previous post with more details if you're interested.)

To test your card you want the fastest write possible, so set your camera in manual exposure with a fixed ISO and fast shutter speed (1/100 or 1/1000 if you're somewhere bright), manual focus, high speed continuous, in camera lens corrections off, RAW + jpeg, single slot recording, and fire away for a nice long burst to put a heavy load on the card. (This way the camera spends the least time thinking so you'll be able to hit the max fps.) Then go to playback (full screen) and hold down the left or right directional button. It should be able to cycle through your pictures like an old silent movie until your thumb hurts. Try this with each card in both slots and you should expose any shortcomings with your cards. (Single slot recording will give the fastest write speed, but you may want to try with dual slot recording too if that's what you'll be using.)

Before anybody says anything, yes, I understand this puts extra wear on your shutter / aperture and increases your shutter count. In my opinion, with a rating of 200,000 actuations I have plenty to spare. I'm currently around 60k and I'll probably upgrade to a new body before I hit 200k, so I'd rather nudge that number up a few hundred than have SD card issues when I'm out taking picture.
07-17-2016, 02:37 PM   #19

I'll be recommending 64GB cards or twin 32GB for 24MP to anyone who asks.

I just upgraded from K-50 to K-3, and I always shoot in RAW+. When I started to play with the settings and made the switch to RAW+ on the new body, I noticed that this only allows just shy of 500 snaps on my 32GB card. It was waaaaaay more than that on my K-50. One of my more recent outings resulted in 702 snaps on my K-50, so I know that I will never be comfortable with only 32GB in the camera anymore.

08-07-2016, 06:24 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry for the late post but thought this might help others. I also just purchased a used K3 and started shooting slot#1 RAW & slot#2 JPEG. I purchased two 64gb Lexar Pro cards, the older version U3, no longer available, the replacement one are only U1. I went on a road trip and took about 500 pictures and noticed that there was a lot off lag time before I could review my pictures. Next time out I replaced the Lexar cards with the 32gb SanDisk Extreme Pro cards from my K50 and K30, I had the same issue but not as bad. I formatted both sets of cards using SDformatter and did some write/read tests, both sets started out very slow around 18mbs them would speed up to 45mbs for the Lexar Pro and 63mbs for the SanDisk, then slow down again. They continued doing this until the file was transferred. I had heard that Samsung made very good SD cards, their SSD drives are the best, so me being a penny pincher while surfing on ebay, found a seller that had used Samsung SDHC and SDXC cards, the seller assured me that they were used not returns or factory refurbished. I purchased two 64gb Pro+ cards for less than half its selling price on B&H. These cards after formatting would read/write at 68mbs and not vary more than 2 or 3 mbs. On a resent photo shoot, 600 photos, my K3 had no more sluggish issues and only after shooting rapid 8 to 10 images, did I have to wait a few seconds to view my pictures. As for size as stated by other members, IMO 64gb would be the minimum size if you shoot RAW or RAW+, 32gb if you shoot only JPEG.