Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
06-27-2016, 06:09 AM   #1

Pentax k3ii settings

Hi just upgraded to a k3ii thought this was gonna be a great camera straight out the box . I shoot in jpeg only . Was wondering if anyone has changed the settings or has any recommended tweaks as I am finding the blue colours are not very accurate at all . Also what is the favoured white balance and scene selection . I've tried adjusting hue and saturation but I am not having much luck . Please help thanks Dave

06-27-2016, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IMHO stay as neutral as you can. I usually shoot in RAW, but find I need to adjust color very seldomly. Usually just adjust contrast and exposure a bit. I've found bumping the saturation leads to un-natural colors. Does auto white balance not work well for you? I'll admit I use it, and once in a while even shooting RAW something doesn't look right, but usually it's people looking flushed and I have to desaturate a little on the red channel. Sometimes Lightroom's Auto adjust works, other times it fails miserably - kind of a crapshoot but worth the click.

K3II has scene modes? If you're finding oversaturation you might want to play with a bit of exposure compensation too. I found I needed to dial in -0.5 when using an LED bank at an event because it was overexposing the lighter areas. (Shooting at a model contest)
06-27-2016, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This might be a good start: Pentax K-3 Review - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews
06-27-2016, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations on getting your K-3II; you have a wonderful machine there. I'm afraid that I can't help with the JPG settings as I only shoot RAW. Maybe in time you might be tempted to shoot that way, which would give you a lot of flexibility in post-processing. Ter-or is right - there are no scene modes with the K-3II although you can define the program line. Ricoh (and Hoya before them) made the assumption that as experienced togs would be buying the flagship APS-C camera, that they would not need the same kind of scene mode assistance that can be found in the more consumer-orientated cameras.

06-27-2016, 08:43 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks all for replying and giving advice . I didn't actually mean scene modes as in party , beach , sport etc , just as in default settings for landscape . Natural , vivid etc . I had a ks-2 and never had to touch a setting . I have even tried green mode and the blue colours seen to be really intense . It maybe poor lighting indoors that's causing this . So I will try with a flash and see if there is any improvement . I am more of a once every now and then photographer . I had a ks2 which was a fantastic little camera but me having large hands struggled with the size of it . So there may be a less than a week old k3ii up for sale soon as I have bought something that is way out of my depth . Thanks again everyone
06-27-2016, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #6
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by Dave 1966 Quote
Hi just upgraded to a k3ii thought this was gonna be a great camera straight out the box . I shoot in jpeg only . Was wondering if anyone has changed the settings or has any recommended tweaks as I am finding the blue colours are not very accurate at all . Also what is the favoured white balance and scene selection . I've tried adjusting hue and saturation but I am not having much luck . Please help thanks Dave
If you want accurate color balance with JPEGS, just create a manual white balance for the light you're shooting in. The camera lets you store three. You need a grey card. Its simple and in the manual.

Without a reference, its a best guesstimate.
06-27-2016, 10:29 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
If you want accurate color balance with JPEGS, just create a manual white balance for the light you're shooting in. The camera lets you store three. You need a grey card. Its simple and in the manual.

Without a reference, its a best guesstimate.
Just done a factory reset on her and set the white balance to multi auto white balance and she is now perfect . Thanks everybody

06-27-2016, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Multi auto white balance does work well.
06-27-2016, 11:45 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Multi auto white balance does work well.
Thank you micro light . Much appreachiated