Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
07-11-2016, 04:32 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
Depth of field is not as important as light gathering ability. And that's what I believe.
I'm with you. A 300 ƒ4 on FF, is not the equivalent of a 200 ƒ2.8 on APS-c , no matter what Tony Northrup et. al. might tell you. For exposure 2.8 is 2.8. It keeps my shutter speed higher, and my DoF the same or higher. If you add two stops to your 300ƒ4, one stop to get the same shutter speed, and another stop to match the DoF, the APS-c actually has a noise advantage, as you've gone a full two stops higher in ISO.

QuoteQuote:
I know for sure the D810 and K1 deliver better IQ at 100% than a K3II or D7200 Nikon. The question is: CAN YOU SEE THIS DIFFERENCE in a 30x40 inch print. (I can't.)
But lots of people who. ve never compared prints know they can, beyond any question of a doubt.
Sometimes knowledge of the theoretical leads to ignorance in the real world.

07-11-2016, 05:00 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The biggest problem that Pentaxians face right now with regard to full frame is size.

This is primarily an issue because there aren't any slow-ish lenses available. I would perfectly happy with some f4 zooms and f2.8 primes, but it seems that Pentax is going to make all of the lenses for the K-1, at least in the beginning, have fast apertures (except for one variable aperture zoom). So, the size advantage of APS-C seems more pronounced because there aren't any equivalents to lenses like the DA 15, 21 and 70, or for that matter, the DA *16-50/50-135. A 70-200 f4 would be a sweet lens when combined with the K-1, but I doubt we will see that lens any time soon.
Now that the new car smell is wearing off the K-1' I got out the K-3 a few minutes ago to see what it is like with the D FA28~105 (which is not an especially small lens itself).

K-3 is tiny. And light!!! And really fast. I already have K-1 muscle memory so it's a just a bit awkward.

I can see the possibility of the K-3 and 28~105 replacing K-1 and same for just prospectively walking around.

I don't think I could get enough money to make it worth selling the K-3.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-11-2016 at 06:14 PM.
07-11-2016, 05:32 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I always like to have a backup body and need one for undertaking the odd wedding etc ...... it makes sense for me to keep the K3 (24mp and OBF)..... however .....over here a K5II doesn't sell for much more then a new Pentax battery!

The concept of the K3 feeling small and light is funny given how heavey it felt in comparison to the K5 family when it first came out. Shows we can adapt to most things.... (except vegetarian food..... and maybe housework)
07-11-2016, 09:25 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I always like to have a backup body and need one for undertaking the odd wedding etc ...... it makes sense for me to keep the K3 (24mp and OBF)..... however .....over here a K5II doesn't sell for much more then a new Pentax battery!

The concept of the K3 feeling small and light is funny given how heavey it felt in comparison to the K5 family when it first came out. Shows we can adapt to most things.... (except vegetarian food..... and maybe housework)

Even Gordon Ramsey conceded that Vegetarian food can be gourmet after his trip to India... Just sayin'

07-11-2016, 09:42 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
Even Gordon Ramsey conceded that Vegetarian food can be gourmet after his trip to India... Just sayin'
A man can't live on gourmet food alone...... that would be just like shooting film only.... or obeying speed limits always..... not a way to live!
07-18-2016, 09:01 AM   #51
Veteran Member

For long distance wildlife photography where you never have a long enough lens and have to crop, the extra pixel density of the K3 has the advantage over the K1. The K1 will always be superior at high iso's though.