Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-07-2016, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Finally a proud owner of K-3 ii

With no background in photography whatsoever, I didn't think it would take me this long to choose a camera. Long story short, I was so close to buy one compact camera and two mirrorless cameras, cancelled a K-3ii bundle I purchased from Japan due to its warranty issues, turned my eyes away from Pentax to get Fuji's new X-T2, and finally came back for Pentax and purchased K-3 ii when its price dropped to $730 along with three lenses and some goodies. All purchases thoroughly utilized two new credit card bangs and $50 instant savings from Amazon card. Boom. Now I'm done for shoppings. It took me a full month to get my hands on the camera, but I'm happy about my purchase and its now time to play with it.

My first impression on the K-3 ii is that the camera is not huge or heavy like many people warned me. I know it is, in fact, one thing that non-Pentax users commonly wine about Pentax bodies, but for a normal sized 5'9'' 180lb person like myself, I think the camera is more than adequate to carry around. The same goes to the lenses. One of the lenses I bought, the HD DA 16-85, is also not humongous like some people told me it would be. It's actually pretty small and handy IMO (I know many other Pentax lenses are even more so). I once considered to buy another zoom lens because of its size, but that is "Un"necessary now. Lastly, the camera is very easy to use and highly customizable. Even for a beginner, it is not too much to understand what's going on with camera's functions (as long as you do your own research and take a good look at David Hancock's tutorial videos).

So, I have the camera now. And I'm happy.

Last edited by talkskiwon; 07-07-2016 at 09:45 PM.
07-07-2016, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #2
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by talkskiwon Quote
is also not humongous like some people told me it would be.
Gee this must be people using mirrorless.

Anyhoo, who cares about opinion when you've got a great piece of kit like that in your hands. Time to get out and about with your new kit and take as many snaps as possible, it's the best way of learning about the new beastie you have. Good luck with the set up and don't forget that now you have this you can dispell a few of the myths about Pentax gear being big and heavy.

Tas
07-07-2016, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations! I got my K-3 II about a month ago and love it!
07-07-2016, 09:42 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rickster Quote
Congratulations! I got my K-3 II about a month ago and love it!
Thanks! No doubt.

07-08-2016, 03:34 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations! I have the K-3 and have no problem carrying it around, recently for 2 weeks in France with a 'huge' 20-40mm ltd--which is a great lens, BTW. +1 for David Hancock's video's as well. Great resource.
07-08-2016, 04:36 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As a K-3 user, the weight is actually helpful in stabilizing the camera somewhat while shooting and the rock solid feeling of the construction is both reassuring and a statement of the engineering quality.

The physics of lenses is such that whether for mirrorless or not, lenses of a certain focal length/max aperture need to be broadly of the same size. Once you get into quality lenses the differences of the combined size of camera plus lens reduces quite substantially.
07-08-2016, 05:25 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WHAT DIGITAL CAMERA have sent me my monthly mail that enables me to read a bit about cameras and lenses without actually buying their magazine. This is very kind of them.
I have noticed a couple of inconsistencies in what they publish, but what is life without them. I thought I ought to read their "5 favourite DSLRS under £1,000" which cropped up after reading about the Fujifilm X-T2 today, it was quite an eye-opener. Not only did the Canon EOS80D come in as their first pick, it is only £99 (body only)

Even the most anti-Canon person might be tempted by this price. If only the magazine was actually selling one and agreed to honour the sticker price.

The Pentax K-3 ii came in 4th out of 5 but was a lot more expensive. Hope K-3 owners or aspirants don't mind me posting this in this thread, not sure where to post it.

Update, this article was in their August 2016 offering.

The 5 best DSLRs under £1,000 - What Digital Camera

www.whatdigitalcamera.com › Round-ups
We've rounded up the best DSLRs under £1,000. ... We've rounded up our favourite 5 DSLRs, all available for under £ ... In the What Digital Camera August 2016 ...
Odd thing, the link to the article in my mail has disappeared. Ho hum.

1. Canon EOS 80D

£99, body only

Read our full Canon EOS 80D review

Read more at The 5 best DSLRs under £1,000 - What Digital Camera

Last edited by Skodadriver; 07-08-2016 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Added information
07-08-2016, 07:52 PM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I too just spent the last hour setting up a new K-3 II, I sold my K-50 amd OMD-E10 to get it. I like the extra weight and heft from the K-50 and it is heavier than any of my other cameras except mayby my old Chinon SLR (Why Chinon lost all imagination and named a slr which was a tinplate spotmatic clone built in the late 70's, SLR shows why they were behind both Pentax and Ricoh )

I am excited to get out and take some shots tomorrow.
07-09-2016, 04:24 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
WHAT DIGITAL CAMERA have sent me my monthly mail that enables me to read a bit about cameras and lenses without actually buying their magazine. This is very kind of them.
I have noticed a couple of inconsistencies in what they publish, but what is life without them. I thought I ought to read their "5 favourite DSLRS under £1,000" which cropped up after reading about the Fujifilm X-T2 today, it was quite an eye-opener. Not only did the Canon EOS80D come in as their first pick, it is only £99 (body only)

Even the most anti-Canon person might be tempted by this price. If only the magazine was actually selling one and agreed to honour the sticker price.

The Pentax K-3 ii came in 4th out of 5 but was a lot more expensive. Hope K-3 owners or aspirants don't mind me posting this in this thread, not sure where to post it.

Update, this article was in their August 2016 offering.

The 5 best DSLRs under £1,000 - What Digital Camera

www.whatdigitalcamera.com › Round-ups
We've rounded up the best DSLRs under £1,000. ... We've rounded up our favourite 5 DSLRs, all available for under £ ... In the What Digital Camera August 2016 ...
Odd thing, the link to the article in my mail has disappeared. Ho hum.

1. Canon EOS 80D

£99, body only

Read our full Canon EOS 80D review

Read more at The 5 best DSLRs under £1,000 - What Digital Camera
Nice to see that the k-3II is none of the top 5 choices. I'm glad I have one. I got mine September last year.