Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-18-2016, 06:46 AM   #1

Strange Happenings with my K3ii and/or my lenses

So I have a strange situation. A month or perhaps a bit longer ago, when I had my DA* 50-135 lens attached to my K3ii, I started getting double exposure shots. It would appear this way on the Live View screen and also in the finished shots. This happened anytime I would recompose or refocus a shot. So if I turned the camera on and composed a shot, it would be fine, but the second I tried to recompose, change the focal length or focus, then the picture would partially hold a ghost-like image of my previous composition while also the current composition. The workaround to this was to just turn the camera off then back on again and take my shot. After a while, this stopped happening but then a couple of weeks ago the lens stopped autofocusing altogether. The double exposure issue seemed to go away, but it wouldn't autofocus. At the same time, my almost brand new FA 77mm f/1.8 lens stopped autofocusing as well. I tried both lenses on other camera bodies to make sure it wasn't an issue with the K3ii body. Sure enough, neither lens worked on other bodies either, and furthermore, no camera even recognizes the 77mm lens anymore so you can't take pictures with it at all. So I just shipped off both lenses a few days ago to Precision Camera (yay! Every experience I've had with them has been a nightmare) for repair. Fortunately, they're both under warranty at least. Since I know I won't see either of these lenses forever (great job, Precision), I went ahead and purchased a new Tamron 70-200 (I've regretted giving up my Sigma 70-200 for the Pentax 50-135 big time) just about a week ago. So last night, I go out on a photoshoot to try out the new Tamron 70-200. And guess what? I started getting the same stupid double exposure issues I was having with the 50-135. It's a brand new lens! So now I'm starting to think that there's something wrong with my Pentax K3ii body. Yes, both of those other lenses I shipped off to Precision didn't seem to work on other Pentax bodies, so there must be something wrong with those lenses, but is my camera screwed up too? How is it possible that within a month's time frame, I've had problems with my camera body and 3 lenses? All of these items are less than a year old and in the case of the Tamron 70-200 and the Pentax 77mm prime, they've barely been used.

Does anybody have any clue what may be going on? I'm at a loss for words.

Thanks.

07-18-2016, 07:41 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are the lens contacts screwed up? This is a bizarre issue.
07-18-2016, 07:45 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sure I'm stating the obvious here, but have you checked that one of the multi-exposure modes isn't engaged? I've never used these before as I always shoot raw, but it sounds very much like what's happening.

The lens issues sound unrelated to the double exposure problem, so I'd work on resolving them individually...
07-18-2016, 07:53 AM   #4

Original Poster
The multi-exposure problem only occurs with these lenses. I have used other lenses where the multi-exposure issue does not occur at all, so I don't think it's an issue of being in that mode, otherwise it would occur all the time with all lenses.

07-18-2016, 08:01 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

So, if you take the camera, reset it, fit the 70-200, take photos and get double exposures, then switch to another lens straight away and take photos, you don't get the double exposure problem? And if you then switch back to the 70-200, the double exposures return? Have you tested in this controlled fashion so you can conclusively isolate the problem to specific lenses?
07-18-2016, 08:09 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Are the lens contacts screwed up? This is a bizarre issue.
I'll have to check the contacts when I get home after work. Is there something specific to look for or should I just clean them and see if it helped any? Thanks.

---------- Post added 07-18-16 at 09:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
So, if you take the camera, reset it, fit the 70-200, take photos and get double exposures, then switch to another lens straight away and take photos, you don't get the double exposure problem? And if you then switch back to the 70-200, the double exposures return? Have you tested in this controlled fashion so you can conclusively isolate the problem to specific lenses?
Well, let me revise my statement. Originally when this problem was occurring a month or so ago, it was a problem exclusively when using the 50-135 lens. That problem ended up going away with that lens, but at the time, it was only that lens. As of last night, it occurred on my brand new 70-200, but then it did also occur when I attached my 31mm prime. So it does seem to be a problem occurring across multiple lenses now, not just one.
07-18-2016, 08:12 AM   #7
Pentaxian

The double exposure issue sounds like a camera problem. Try a full factory reset to get all settings back to their default values.

As far as multiple lenses failing even when used on different cameras, you're either very unlucky or there's some common thread causing those failures:
  1. It's theoretically possible that a defective camera could put too much voltage to the lens contacts, frying circuitry within the lens. I've never heard a case of that actually happening but consider having the the camera checked if nothing else seems responsible.
  2. Are you using a very old flash? Some of those can put a dangerously high voltage into the camera ... and that could in turn pass through to the lens.
  3. Are you using your camera in an unusual environment? A very dry synthetic surface, a physics laboratory, or something else could cause extreme amounts of static electricity.
  4. Are you storing your equipment in a closed car or other heat extremes?
P.S. Some paragraph breaks would help readers follow your problem description.

---------- Post added 07-18-16 at 11:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gazelle01 Quote
So it does seem to be a problem occurring across multiple lenses now, not just one.
And if I understand correctly you've tried those other lenses on a different camera, and the lenses continue to malfunction.

07-18-2016, 08:19 AM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Re the double exposures, when it next happens, check to see if the camera has been set (or has somehow set itself) to multi-exposure mode. That's how this mode operates - you take one photo, re-compose and will then see a ghost of the previous shot in liveview...
07-18-2016, 09:02 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Re the double exposures, when it next happens, check to see if the camera has been set (or has somehow set itself) to multi-exposure mode. That's how this mode operates - you take one photo, re-compose and will then see a ghost of the previous shot in liveview...
I will also look into this tonight too, before doing a reset. Perhaps it somehow got switched over to this mode, although that's a feature I've never used or even heard of, so it obviously did not happen on purpose, if at all. Thanks for the suggestion.

---------- Post added 07-18-16 at 10:04 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The double exposure issue sounds like a camera problem. Try a full factory reset to get all settings back to their default values.

As far as multiple lenses failing even when used on different cameras, you're either very unlucky or there's some common thread causing those failures:
  1. It's theoretically possible that a defective camera could put too much voltage to the lens contacts, frying circuitry within the lens. I've never heard a case of that actually happening but consider having the the camera checked if nothing else seems responsible.
  2. Are you using a very old flash? Some of those can put a dangerously high voltage into the camera ... and that could in turn pass through to the lens.
  3. Are you using your camera in an unusual environment? A very dry synthetic surface, a physics laboratory, or something else could cause extreme amounts of static electricity.
  4. Are you storing your equipment in a closed car or other heat extremes?
P.S. Some paragraph breaks would help readers follow your problem description.

---------- Post added 07-18-16 at 11:14 AM ----------

And if I understand correctly you've tried those other lenses on a different camera, and the lenses continue to malfunction.
I haven't used flash at all and am taking just regular outdoor landscape photos, no extreme environment whatsoever, although it's been quite humid lately. And I store my gear in a secure Pelican case when not with me in my camera bag out on a shoot.
07-18-2016, 09:26 AM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gazelle01 Quote
I will also look into this tonight too, before doing a reset. Perhaps it somehow got switched over to this mode, although that's a feature I've never used or even heard of, so it obviously did not happen on purpose, if at all. Thanks for the suggestion.
My pleasure. I've a sneaky feeling you've inadvertently set it to multi-exposure via the four-way controller. I've done something similar before...

Let us know how you get on?
07-18-2016, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

If by chance it is inadvertently set to multi then you may want to change your memory selections so it doesn't continue to use that mode when switching your camera off and on again.
07-18-2016, 03:42 PM   #12

Original Poster
Well, it seems like several of you might be correct. I turned the camera on and figured out how to turn the multi-exposure mode on, and it wasn't currently on, but once I turned it on and took some shots, they looked exactly like what I had been experiencing. So I guess I had been shooting in that mode. Still don't know how or why it was not still in that mode when I turned it on just now, but at least I know what to look for and how to resolve that if it happens again. As for the failed autofocus on the other 2 lenses, maybe it's just bad luck, I don't know, but like I said, both lenses are already shipped off for warranty repair.

Thanks to everyone for your help, you're always a tremendous resource.
07-18-2016, 04:04 PM   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

That's great news. Hopefully you can enjoy that 70-200 now, while your other lenses are serviced