Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
08-20-2016, 12:38 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Gotcha. Yes, that could be the issue.

WR or not, there's always air inside the camera, so depending on the humidity and temperature inside / outside of the body (and lenses - even AW lenses), condensation is a risk.

Good luck with the repair. Any idea when the camera will be on its way back to you?
probably some of these days, I'm positive camera is fine, repair man contact me, and he told me there is no any permanent, or harder damage.

For guarantee I'm not sure yet, but I believe it would be accepted in my case.

08-24-2016, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

I can pretty much guarantee that the moisture got in through the 17-70 which isn't weather sealed. Pentax cameras are only 'weather resistant' when paired with 'weather resistant' WR or DA* lenses.

Most lenses have a soft velvety cloth or foam seals on extending barrels to help them slide and keep out dust, but they can quickly soak up water. Even a few drops on the extending barrel of the 17-70 can make their way inside, especially when you zoom / retract the lens barrel after the drops hit it. When this moisture evaporates later it can make its way into the body or further into the lens. Pentax WR lenses like the 18-135 have a special foam seal that keeps dust out and doesn't absorb the moisture. Even with WR lenses, extending zoom lens barrels still pumps outside air into the lens / camera body when you repeatedly zoom in and out.

Once cooled that humidity can condense, so it's a good idea to pump the zoom a few times in the dry air to replace the humidity in the camera/lens combo. Then, leave the lens and body apart in an air tight box with some desiccant to pull out any remaining moisture. You can get an airtight storage tote at Target or Walmart for pretty cheap, and reusable desiccants are cheap on eBay or Amazon. If you're in a real pinch, a ziploc bag with rice will work as a last resort, but be VERY careful not to get rice dust inside your equipment!
09-10-2016, 05:33 PM   #33

I just recently boght the K-3 and I really like it. The pictures are the sharpest I have seen in all my Pentaxes and I also love the 2 SD slots!
09-10-2016, 05:58 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
yes, it's probably condensation - because I put my camera in bag after that, and pick it up again after 48 hours
So a K3 now without a flash..... sort of an upgrade.... K3II now!

09-10-2016, 06:12 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K10D; K-01; Q; Q7; K-3; K-1

I've never had a single problem with any Pentax*

* except once my Q would start and immeadiately shut down. I switched to a fully charged battery, opened and closed the card door - didn't help. So I dismounted and remounted the 01 lens and the problem went away. Ergo it was user error.
09-11-2016, 02:14 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have owned Pentax cameras for over 50 years. Digital wise I have owned the K10, K5 and currently the K3. The only problem I have ever had was the only camera flash on the K10 blew up. (That is when I gave it to my younger daughter and bought a K5) Never used the on board flash but it was the excuse I needed to buy a K5 😉
I love Pentax cameras and am delighted they are finally being recognized. My only wish would be faster AF on a cropped sensor body. I do have long lenses that "hunt".