Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2016, 09:57 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
View lens length in viewfinder or live view?

On an Oly E-M5 and other cameras I've used one can view the length of the current zoom position in the live view (M43). I couldn't find any way to do this in the HUD in the VF on the K-3II or in Live View either. Does it not exist, or did I miss it? It obviously gets recorded in exif.

08-26-2016, 10:24 AM   #2
a5m
Veteran Member

Interesting timing for your post. I posted a thread about this a while back and it actually came up again recently.

I pretty much asked the same question, and the answer is that no you didn't miss it, it doesn't exist. Although once you take a picture and review it you can hit the info button and it will show you what focal length it was taken at. But not before you take the picture.

Here's the link to the thread I started Zoom lens - focal length shown in camera?
08-26-2016, 10:31 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Not possible at the moment because of the mechanical nature of zooming on Pentax. The camera only gets an approximation of the current focal length.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-26-2016, 11:29 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Not possible at the moment because of the mechanical nature of zooming on Pentax. The camera only gets an approximation of the current focal length.
It should be possible, though within the limits of the ability of the lens to share the information with the body. After all, the focal length is included in the exif and is visible on review. My Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 (C) appears to do so with pretty good precision (+/- 0.5mm). The feature was supported on the K10D, K20D, K200D and perhaps other models. Why it disappeared is anyone's guess. The use case is sort of fuzzy in my mind unless you are doing comparison studies of some sort* or manual calculation of DOF.

Steve

* Say comparing FOV between similar model zooms as an indication of focus-breathing.

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-26-2016 at 11:37 AM.
10-23-2016, 05:19 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
bringing back an old thread...

I don't care so much about displaying the focal length of the lens, but displaying the focusing distance. DOFat current distance and aperture would be nice too. I know this data is there at least in rough form, because it too is captured in the EXIF data. Pentax bodies still have the location of the focal point stamped on every body, but it is useless with most of the currently sold digital lenses. What's less expensive, getting the body to display this information or returning to stamping scales on the lens bodies?