Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-26-2016, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The perils of familiarity ...

I had a few moments of frustration and embarassment this week using my K3ii. I was using it at work this week with a flash unit when two problems occurred at once neither of which I'd encountered before. Firstly, I couldn't activate the flash menu unless in LV. Secondly I couldn't move or re-centre the AF point. Frustratingly, it would self-correct for no apparent reason every now again. I need to add that I can operate this thing blindfolded - literally. I also have a fairly ingrained style and tend to use the same niche of functions as I'd imagine many of us do.

I was able to work around the problem, all the while building up theories about a new type of 'Pentax is doomed' fault, a colleague pranking me, or the possibility that I was simply losing the plot. Just picture a lot of cursing, button pushing and battery ejecting going on all at once.

Anyone with this model probably already knows the answer, but it took me until later that night to realize I was inadvertently toggling the lower RH button. I was made worse by the increasingly randomized button pushing going on.

If you own a K-3, place a mental sticky note for future reference.

Take from this what you will. My colleague got a lot out of it - laughter.

Last edited by jawsy; 08-26-2016 at 08:08 PM.
08-26-2016, 05:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Curious. I've occasionally encountered a similar problem. Every now and again I can't access the four-way functions, (WB, timer, flash, ...).
Usually I'm trying to access the timer function, to take the camera off Remote Control, but mysteriously and frustratingly I can't access
the menu. Like you, I frantically press random buttons to now avail, when *POOF* I suddenly can access the menu again. I still haven't
(hadn't) figured out why I can't access the menu. Next time it happens I'll pay attention to the Change AF Point button. Thanks.
08-26-2016, 08:00 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pardon my lack of specitifity but the button just to the right of the menu button, the one with the 1:2 below it (also known officially as the Change AF Point/Card Slot Switch Button), acts as a toggle and will disable the Four Way Controller button's primary functions and turn them into UP/DOWN/RIGHT/LEFT buttons. I'd done the same thing and couldn't figure you what I'd done. I don't use the status screen often, so I didn't realize I'd toggled off my ability to access my four way controller buttons. Couldn't figure out why I suddenly couldn't access my shooting modes through the controller button, must have pressed it by accident. And my focal point was no longer in the center of my lens, it'd moved up to the top of the focus screen. Took me about ten minutes of scratching my head before it dawned on me. Operator error issue on my part. I guess once in a while it does pay off to RTFM, ha!

Hopefully this solves your problem.