Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2016, 02:29 AM   #1

Pictures overblown and extreme purple fringing help

Hi all,

I need help, today I mounted the 31mm on the K3, and all shots were overblown. Could not fix it on camera and even removing the battery and resetting.
Came home, tried with 40,77,100wr and all are like that. Tried with 16-85, which is the main lens and even that is hit and miss with the few shots I got.

Can i preface this by saying that i notice this problem intermittently since last August (unlike the K7 which i had before, no such issues).
And are terrible with red colours. See red/yellow flower IMGP3001 from last year, and the other image from today's shots.

I hope this is not a sensor issue.

Thanks and Regards
Ken

Attached Images

09-02-2016, 02:43 AM   #2
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Moew details are recommended

G'day Ken,

I'm not a K3 user, but I expect some others who can help will drop by shortly. I'd suggest you post images with the metadata/exif intact so the right advice/recommendations for fault checking can be provided.

Good luck with sorting it out mate, I think you'll get it sorted and be back out there shooting again.

Regards,

Tas

Edit: My apologies, the title should read 'More details are recommended'.
09-02-2016, 02:46 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

As @Tas says, we need to see the EXIF data to see if there are any obvious reasons for the effect you're seeing. It's obviously over-exposing significantly, but we need to figure out why
09-02-2016, 02:50 AM   #4
Ole
Administrator

You do have the aperture ring set to 'A'?

09-02-2016, 03:02 AM   #5

The camera is configured with excessive saturation.
09-02-2016, 03:14 AM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by juanma_1 Quote
The camera is configured with excessive saturation.
No, that's not it. The effect on the purple flower is actually consistent with over-exposure...
09-02-2016, 03:40 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

EXIF would help. Do you get the same issue in jpeg and in raw? If not, then it's possible that you have your jpeg profile set to cross processing.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-02-2016, 03:41 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it were me I would
1) Check if AE = spot
2) Ensure Exposure Comp is zero
3) shoot some manual exposures using sunny

The first two to make sure the camera is actually delivering what it is been told to, the last to rule out a mechanical problem.
09-02-2016, 03:42 AM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Just to show what I mean regarding over-exposure... see the attached. Exactly the same photo, but with different exposure levels...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
09-02-2016, 04:00 AM   #10

Original Poster
Ok Testing upload with some sort of data.

Forgive me, I just take Jpeg SOOC, and never do any post processing let alone use silkypix, and load onto Photos on Mac.
The above 2 photos were just reduced in size for upload using the Macs simple preview adjustment, hence may have lost data attachment.

Ole, yes aperture ring on A for the 31 and 77.

Hopefully the following 4 photos, uploaded directly untouched will have data, otherwise will have to do some reading tonight about EXIF data.

Regards
Ken
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
09-02-2016, 04:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Some good replies already.
First do the usual: Check the jpeg mode (note it can "add brightness" in the submenu of some jpeg modes), check the metering mode, check EV+/-, check Bracketing (should be off). I think the camera actually has two reset options, and they reset different things. Make sure you use the right one, or both, depending on your problem. You might also want to update your firmware and make sure the camera mount is clean and not in any way damaged.

- It might be a shutter issue, the shutter being too slow.

- It could also be aperture lever issue, that the aperture does not get stopped down as it should. You can diagnose this by selecting Av mode and taking photo at widest possible aperture (f2.8 or what have you). If the exposure is okay wide open but not when a smaller aperture is selected, then its probably this.
09-02-2016, 04:03 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Just to show what I mean regarding over-exposure... see the attached. Exactly the same photo, but with different exposure levels...
Hi Mike,

Yes that happens quite a fair bit on my K3, never see this on the K7.
Tks
09-02-2016, 04:09 AM   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
- It could also be aperture lever issue, that the aperture does not get stopped down as it should. You can diagnose this by selecting Av mode and taking photo at widest possible aperture (f2.8 or what have you). If the exposure is okay wide open but not when a smaller aperture is selected, then its probably this.
It could well be this. Looking at the last examples, the one correctly-exposed shot (of the flowers) was taken wide open at f/1.8 on the FA31, whereas the others - which are suffering from over-exposure - are all using smaller aperture settings; yet the longitudinal CA (especially in that last shot of the dashboard) suggests the lens aperture is still wide (wider than the EXIF data shows). It could indeed be a problem with aperture control...

As you rightly say, taking some shots side by side, wide open then stopped down, should establish whether this is the issue.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-02-2016 at 04:15 AM.
09-02-2016, 04:28 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I noitice these are all shot in aperture priority, and the overexposed ones seem to have slow shutter speeds, Do you get the same results in manual or Tav, or even in shutter priority?
09-02-2016, 04:59 AM   #15
Veteran Member

The choice of how the camera meters makes a big difference in high contrast situation, I would recommend using centre-weight or even spot instead of multi-segment in these situations.