Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2016, 10:02 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Dark frames

Has anyone seen where you get some black frames like this? I'm thinking I must have a sticky shutter or something. I think it sounded a little different too. It was also cold and damp so that may not have helped. I've never seen this before and have shot in wetter and colder (much colder) conditions without issue.

When I max out the exposure shadows and blacks to the light side I can see a little sliver of image at the top.

This is from my K-3 I bought right when they came out that has a shutter count of 86218 so I'm not sure I want to put much money into it.

Attached Images

09-26-2016, 10:24 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Can it be reproduced?
09-27-2016, 03:48 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I've had this on my K-5. It was a sign of the shutter starting to fail (or some motor driving it). You'll know soon enough when you get only black frames.

---------- Post added 27-09-16 at 12:57 ----------

I'd get this with +5 exposure in lightroom and the whites maxed out:
09-27-2016, 06:27 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
When I max out the exposure shadows and blacks to the light side I can see a little sliver of image at the top.
Either:
1) the mirror is not lifting out of the way,
2) the back curtain is closing the instant the front curtain moves, or
3) the front curtain is sticking and the back curtain is pushing it across the frame

09-27-2016, 08:48 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I assume you mean at the top of one of the landscape orientation frames. At first, I thought a seriously capped leading curtain might be to blame, but the symptoms do not fit simple capping. What it looks like is premature release of the trailing curtain with that same curtain slowing significantly just shy of the frame edge -- or --- the leading curtain is fully capped with the trailing curtain bouncing at end of travel. Fault could be with the shutter itself or with its controller.

Steve
09-27-2016, 08:54 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks. You are correct in your assumption, Steve. I haven't used the camera since then and I think I missed six frames out of 400 or so, so it isn't a big proportion of shots. At least not yet.

I'm not sure what I'll do about it. Maybe keep an eye out for an inexpensive replacement K-3, K-3 II, or similar. I have the K-3 battery grip so I'd like to be able to continue using that when shooting sports and events.It's still pretty usable but I would be upset to miss an important shot because of it.