Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2016, 01:04 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Hmm, should work, but try this: 15 = release priority, 19 off (release via remote without pre-AF). Since you are just testing manual flash exposure levels, focus shouldn't be a primary concern. Turn camera to manual focus and roughly set to subject distance.

In theory, it would eliminate any timing issues with shutter release. Make sure you have fresh batteries in both camera and flash.
Thanks Jim,

I'll give that a try tonight.

Larry

09-30-2016, 01:41 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is like an episode of Car Talk "Stump the Chump"... I am impressed by the latest answers - that's really putting the noodle on full speed.
09-30-2016, 08:29 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok here is the deal and I think its caused by the Sigma EF 610 DG Super or maybe the K-3 being set up for Back button autofocus not sure which. I tried every possible combination suggested and none of them worked consistently. Sometimes the flash would fire every time the IR Remote shutter button was pushed and sometimes it would fire a "blank" and the second push it would fire the flash. What I did find out is that the flash would fire consistently everytime it got a focus confirmation from the K-3. So no focus confirmation no flash. The remote I have is a JJC RM-E7 that works with Pentax and Samsung cameras. It has two buttons one has W/T on it and the other has S on it. The little instruction booklet that came with the remote says the W/T button will work for only non SLR type cameras for wide to telephoto zooming(ie. Samsung GX20). I found that the W/T button will act as an auto focus button on the K-3 so my technique now with the IR remote is to push the W/T button then the Shutter button........works like a champ.

I am leaning more toward the BBF being the problem since everything worked correctly on my K-50 and it was not set up for BBF like my K-3 is so with each IR remote shutter button push the K-50 would fire the flash.

Whew, now I can go get some sleep!!!

Larry

Last edited by Larrymc; 09-30-2016 at 08:32 PM. Reason: additional info
09-30-2016, 09:13 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
The remote I have is a JJC RM-E7 that works with Pentax and Samsung cameras. It has two buttons one has W/T on it and the other has S on it. The little instruction booklet that came with the remote says the W/T button will work for only non SLR type cameras for wide to telephoto zooming(ie. Samsung GX20). I found that the W/T button will act as an auto focus button on the K-3 so my technique now with the IR remote is to push the W/T button then the Shutter button........works like a champ.

I am leaning more toward the BBF being the problem since everything worked correctly on my K-50 and it was not set up for BBF like my K-3 is so with each IR remote shutter button push the K-50 would fire the flash.
I think you found the problem. The combination of a sketchy IR remote with your AF setup exposed a deficiency in the camera's shutter release sequence. If you have an Android smart phone you might want to look into the DSLR Remote by bitshift. I have not used it with BBF, but have found it otherwise dependable.

Oh...and always turn off the AF when using the IR or wired remote.

Steve

09-30-2016, 10:25 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I use it with focus for...
Self portraits.
Critter shots.
10-01-2016, 06:55 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think you found the problem. The combination of a sketchy IR remote with your AF setup exposed a deficiency in the camera's shutter release sequence. If you have an Android smart phone you might want to look into the DSLR Remote by bitshift. I have not used it with BBF, but have found it otherwise dependable.

Steve

Hi Steve,

As a matter of fact, the JJC remote works exactly like the Pentax 0-RC1 does now that I know something about both. You lost me on turning off the AF when using IR or wired remote.

Larry
10-01-2016, 03:21 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

...You lost me on turning off the AF when using IR or wired remote.
Well, you discovered at least one good reason (see list below). The recommendation is mostly just a matter of removing sources of unexpected behavior. For example, on the Pentax SLR bodies I am familiar with:
  • Shutter release for IR remotes will not trigger AF by default. Unless configured otherwise, the shutter will fire regardless of whether focus is attained. Not all bodies support AF with IR remote shutter. Note that even if AF with IR remote is enable, the shutter may still release before focus has been attained (!).
  • Flash with the IR remote will not fire if AF is enabled and focus is not attained. Turning off AF allows for the flash to fire regardless of whether focus is attained. Near as I can tell, this is an undocumented behavior.* I believe this is a likely cause of your problem.
  • With a wired remote, behavior is the same as for the regular shutter release. This may be a problem for some configurations. Flash behavior is the same as for the regular shutter button.
I don't consider it a hard rule, but as a general "best practice", I disable AF when using a remote or when doing interval work...less unpleasant surprises.

Steve

* It was not until I attempted your use case this afternoon that I became aware of this. It is a nasty surprise and happens with the K-3 built in flash as well as the Sigma EF 610 DG Super.

10-01-2016, 06:32 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, you discovered at least one good reason (see list below). The recommendation is mostly just a matter of removing sources of unexpected behavior. For example, on the Pentax SLR bodies I am familiar with:
  • Shutter release for IR remotes will not trigger AF by default. Unless configured otherwise, the shutter will fire regardless of whether focus is attained. Not all bodies support AF with IR remote shutter. Note that even if AF with IR remote is enable, the shutter may still release before focus has been attained (!).
  • Flash with the IR remote will not fire if AF is enabled and focus is not attained. Turning off AF allows for the flash to fire regardless of whether focus is attained. Near as I can tell, this is an undocumented behavior.* I believe this is a likely cause of your problem.
  • With a wired remote, behavior is the same as for the regular shutter release. This may be a problem for some configurations. Flash behavior is the same as for the regular shutter button.
I don't consider it a hard rule, but as a general "best practice", I disable AF when using a remote or when doing interval work...less unpleasant surprises.

Steve

* It was not until I attempted your use case this afternoon that I became aware of this. It is a nasty surprise and happens with the K-3 built in flash as well as the Sigma EF 610 DG Super.

Steve,

Yep, learn something new every day. But now you know how to remedy the situation. The way I have my K-3 set up for BBF works out great with the IR Remote ........now that I know that I must attain focus prior to releasing the shutter, works Just like BBF with AFS for me. I'm too lazy to change back to shutter button auto focus just to see if the K-3 will auto focus on IR remote shutter button push.

Larry

Larry
10-01-2016, 08:07 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'm too lazy to change back to shutter button auto focus just to see if the K-3 will auto focus on IR remote shutter button push.
It will if you enable the custom setting, though if it has problems attaining focus it will give up and do the exposure without focus and without flash. Silly camera.

Steve