Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
10-09-2016, 06:02 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some gear I have found a must have on my K-3 II.
1. Quick detach strap. I use Peak Design. I hate fighting the strap when using a tripod.
2. A good tripod and head combo.
3. Extra batteries.
4. Grip (Not a must have but gives you AA battery option and if you shoot a lot of portraits it gives you vertical controls.)
5. SD cards. I use SanDisk and PNY. Most of mine are 32 GB. I do have a couple of 64 GB.
6. Carrying options. This is highly personal. Due to shoulder and back problems, I can no longer carry heavy shoulder bags or backpacks. I used to love my Domke bags but they just don't work for me anymore. I now have systems I can pull behind or wear on my waist. Highly recommended Think Tank Photo products.
7. Remote trigger for tripod use.
8. Flash. I have the 360 II and it is an awesome little unit. It is small but plenty powerfull and recycles faster than the 560 II. I shoot a lot of weddings and it has done a great job. I use good NiMH batteries in it. Panasonic Eneloop are by far the best.

---------- Post added 10-09-16 at 06:13 AM ----------

Having read your planned lens needs I would recommend the following bag options
Think Tank Speed Demon. It can be used as a shoulder or waist pack. It easily carries a body and a few small lenses with a flash. I am able to get my K-3 II with 18-55 attached, 15 and 70 limiteds, 360 II flash and my DA 50 1.8 in it.
We also have several of the Think Tank modular components. The Digital holster 20 would be a great option for just your body and the 18-135 attached. It does expand on the bottom if you would like to toss in a small prime.

Last edited by sarge; 10-09-2016 at 06:15 AM.
10-10-2016, 07:06 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AmaZing Quote
Thanks for the advice on the fill in, ring flashes.

Can someone help out regarding:
1. Memory cards suited for K3 II fast burst & resolution,
2. K3 II has no Wifi / Bluetooth... is this really a pain in a modern setup / lifestyle? What are the options (eg wifi memory card)?
3. Bag (please see my lens choices for different situations in the earlier post)
4. Harness: Looked up sling strap as suggested by TER-OR. But this way isn't the camera placed in a easy-to-bump-into-things position? Unable to understand how this setup is safe...

Thanks folks!
I don't use a wifi memory card. A card reader via USB 3.0 is quite fast at downloading.
Transcend TS-RDF5K USB 3.0 Support SDHC (UHS-I), SDXC (UHS-I), microSD, microSDHC (UHS-I), and microSDXC (UHS-I) Flash Card Reader-Black/White - Newegg.com
I have one of those and it's very nice. I used to build the computer with a card reader in a 5" or 3.5" slot but don't bother now.

When compared to a shoulder strap, slings are more secure as they won't slide off. Neck straps, IMHO, are just uncomfortable. With the sling you can adjust the length so it hangs at your hip, making it easy to grab and easy to protect with your off hand. It's kind of what you get used to, but I find slings handy. The most secure is probably a harness mount, but then you have to wear a harness and deal with that over a jacket or whatever.

I have 3 Tamrac bags, a backpack which holds a LOT, a mid-sized bag which can hold several lenses, flash, camera and gear (and add-ons like lens cases etc), and a smaller "Lurse" (lens purse) which can hold one spare lens or flash along with the camera and mounted lens, and can hold some supplies. They're not expensive but seem pretty well-built.