Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
10-02-2016, 07:41 PM   #1

Accessories for K3 II?

Folks,

If one is new to the Pentax system and buying K3-II, then what accessories would you suggest - definite haves vs good to have?

Thanks!

10-02-2016, 09:27 PM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery
Tripod is a must have (if using the Astrotracer and Pixelshift capabilities) nice spacious and well padded backpack for all the lenses, at least one really fast memory card with sufficient capacity, two is better,
Battery grip (D-BG5, not necesarily original) is a good to have addition, I opted to add two sets of six-pack GP- Recyko rechargeable batteries so I can have enough battery capacity for every possible situation if needed.
Everything else is a matter of personal preference, depending on what you want to shoot. If you're into live macro (moving insects) a ring flash can be very useful. If you prefer to shoot wildlife and landscapes, it's pretty much useless.
And of course, lenses, lenses, and more lenses...
10-02-2016, 09:50 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Grip maybe. Not my cup of tea but many love them. Tripods and flashes and triggers seem more like basic necessities than accessories. Same with carrying harnesses - they aren't Pentax specific.
10-02-2016, 10:20 PM - 1 Like   #4
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by AmaZing Quote
Accessories for K3 II?
I think it very much depends on the type of photography that you mostly do. I find the battery grip very handy for handheld portrait orientation of my K-3 and K20D. Others don't use them. Let us know your photographic subject preferences and then we can recommend some accessories.

10-02-2016, 11:11 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tripod definitely. Grips are personal things; for me they just add too much bulk to the camera, so I just carry some spare batteries. What you might need occasionally is a flash unit as the K-3II does not have one built-in.
10-02-2016, 11:18 PM   #6
Forum Member

The most important and definitely necessary is battery's and the flash.
10-03-2016, 12:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The K-3II doesn't have an onboard flash, so a flashgun is useful.
If you do a lot of portraits, a grip is very handy.
Other than that it'll be the same thing as for every photographer - cash, is the most useful accessory of all!

10-03-2016, 03:26 PM   #8

1. At least one really good lens suited to the kind of photography you're doing, and a protective filter.
2. At least one spare battery.
3. Bag
4. Sturdy tripod
5. Flash and wireless triggers
10-04-2016, 12:01 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips folks!

Based on your advice, I have some more specific questions. Appreciate your advice on the same:

1. I have a small Nikon flash that I will use for now… I only intend to use flash more as a fill-in as most of my photography is out doors. Besides I do not understand studio / flash photography a whole lot.I was half-dreaming about PENTAX AF 540FGZ II but given the price, I doubt I will really use it to justify the purchase.
  2. Ring flash: any good brands that you can recommend? Would go for one if available used or not very expensive.
  3. Some suggestions on the memory card(s) please…
  4. Does anyone have experience with wifi memory card? In which situations is it beneficial to have wifi - only when we want to copy pictures directly from the camera to the phone or are there other benefits as well?
  5. Carrying harness… I believe this is the cross type shoulder harness that is being talked about? Can someone recommend a good brand? I think I will buy two - one for my binoculars too.
  6. I was thinking of Lowepro Slingshot Edge 250 AW for the longest time... but suddenly have started to think that it might be too compact for my needs... Any suggestions on the next bigger but still convenient bag?
    1. If I am going to the city I will only have 21mm, 55mm and maybe the 100mm with me.
    2. But If I am going traveling with family then in addition to these I will also have 18-135.
    3. For nature / birding I will more or less only carry 200mm and 100mm (macro) along with the TCs.
    4. For astrophotography will be 14mm, 55mm (due to sharpness) and one off the 100mm / 200mm (again depending upon sharpness and what I want to capture).
BTW, I just started a WANTED thread for the gear I want to buy: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/37-wanted-items/331119-wanted-mint-like-n...-18-135mm.html
10-04-2016, 09:33 PM   #10

#2 I opted for Meike FC100 ring flash. Really cheap (bought mine used but as new for 15€) it's a great fill-in light, not so much for being the only source of light in dark. I use it with Tamron 90mm macro lens, usually stopped down to F8-F10 and set the shutter to something between 1/1250 and 1/2000 to get some depth of field and speed if the insect is on a brach or leave that moves from air flow. For that kind of job, simply works. There are much better ring flashes, but at higher price tag. Once I master the skill and someone starts paying for the photos I make, I might invest into something that cost 10 or 20 times more. Until then, I'm fine with it for the money.
10-04-2016, 09:37 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stein Quote
#2 I opted for Meike FC100 ring flash. Really cheap (bought mine used but as new for 15€) it's a great fill-in light, not so much for being the only source of light in dark. I use it with Tamron 90mm macro lens, usually stopped down to F8-F10 and set the shutter to something between 1/1250 and 1/2000 to get some depth of field and speed if the insect is on a brach or leave that moves from air flow. For that kind of job, simply works. There are much better ring flashes, but at higher price tag. Once I master the skill and someone starts paying for the photos I make, I might invest into something that cost 10 or 20 times more. Until then, I'm fine with it for the money.
Is it led rather than flash thus no sync speed problems?
10-05-2016, 06:34 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Is it led rather than flash thus no sync speed problems?
It's LED and I found no problems with it's functioning. The only downside, as I mentioned, it's relatively low power, but works great if you need a fill in light. The upside is it's versatility with adapter rings for almost any lens filter thread size (not sure about 49mm for lenses like Pentax -M 100mm F4 Macro, though) and it's really low price if buying used.
10-05-2016, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a Sunpak DX-8R ringflash and have been using it for macro this year in manual mode. P-mode, f/16 ISO 100 and it's been great at 1/8 or 1/4 power.

Spare batteries are always good, you should have at least one.
I like sling straps, they're the most comfortable and secure way to carry a camera, IMHO. I have a couple, but mostly use a Black Rapid one. Next year if I want to carry two cameras I'll look at one of those setups.
10-07-2016, 08:56 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice on the fill in, ring flashes.

Can someone help out regarding:
1. Memory cards suited for K3 II fast burst & resolution,
2. K3 II has no Wifi / Bluetooth... is this really a pain in a modern setup / lifestyle? What are the options (eg wifi memory card)?
3. Bag (please see my lens choices for different situations in the earlier post)
4. Harness: Looked up sling strap as suggested by TER-OR. But this way isn't the camera placed in a easy-to-bump-into-things position? Unable to understand how this setup is safe...

Thanks folks!
10-08-2016, 02:27 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
1) Any card capable of more than ~30Mb/s write speed. That is all that the camera can manage anyway. Beyond that, look for features and reliability that you need...I personally use Sandisk Extreme for the additional warranty and environmental protection, but Sandisk Ultra is fine and usually much cheaper, or PNY or Samsung or whatever...
2) Depends what setup you require, I personally go shoot, come back and plug it into USB3 to copy the images. No real need for wifi or bluetooth. If you want to have instant access to each image on a laptop, or backup to the cloud as you shoot, you might have different requirements.
3) Very personal choice. Personally I use a Manfrotto Backpack 20. It took me about 6 weeks of looking and trying different models to find the one perfect for me.
4) Likewise. Personally I use a neckstrap.