Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2016, 09:50 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DXO mark Pentax K-3 vs Pentax K-3II

Hello

I'm looking to understant DxoMark scores,

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Pentax-K-3-II-versus-Pentax-K-3___1026_914

Do you have any explanation on the lower " Sports (Low-Light ISO)" that Pentax K3II have in comparison to Pentax K3 ?

any help would be apreciatte

best regards
Luis

10-18-2016, 10:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

They somehow measure the noise-to-signal ratio and record the ISO at an established cut-off. Meaning they think the K3 II will show somewhat more noise than the K3 at higher ISOs.
10-18-2016, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think we are mostly looking at individual variation among bodies. For example, if you overlay the two graphs one on top of each other, you can see that the deltas are pretty minuscule. The "overall" scores are identical. And if you go to the "measurements" section comparing those two bodies you will see that they are basically the same (with only minor variations) no matter what metric you choose: DR, SNR, ISO, etc..

M
10-18-2016, 10:09 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
but once they have the same CMOS and K3II is more recent, shouldn't be equal or better for K3II ?

10-18-2016, 11:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm wondering if they control for the sensor's temperature during those tests... assuming it's even possible without altering the camera
10-18-2016, 12:14 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
I think we are mostly looking at individual variation among bodies. For example, if you overlay the two graphs one on top of each other, you can see that the deltas are pretty minuscule. The "overall" scores are identical. And if you go to the "measurements" section comparing those two bodies you will see that they are basically the same (with only minor variations) no matter what metric you choose: DR, SNR, ISO, etc..

M
Totally agree with the quoted post. Also using common sense, DXOmark has measured the "Sports Low Light ISO" for the K3 at 1216 ISO vs. the K3II at 1106 ISO. If we can believe the accuracy and repeatability of their test(s) a 100 ISO difference at 1200 ISO is effectively a max of 1/6 EV advantage. To me, if you consider their margin of error and in real world terms of 1200 vs. 1100 ISO, it's not significant. The two cameras are twins in almost every aspect except a few tweaks by Pentax.

One comparison I found interesting is that they rated the K3II as "yes" for "tropicalization" and the K3 "no".
10-19-2016, 09:50 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Totally agree with the quoted post. Also using common sense, DXOmark has measured the "Sports Low Light ISO" for the K3 at 1216 ISO vs. the K3II at 1106 ISO. If we can believe the accuracy and repeatability of their test(s) a 100 ISO difference at 1200 ISO is effectively a max of 1/6 EV advantage. To me, if you consider their margin of error and in real world terms of 1200 vs. 1100 ISO, it's not significant. The two cameras are twins in almost every aspect except a few tweaks by Pentax.

One comparison I found interesting is that they rated the K3II as "yes" for "tropicalization" and the K3 "no".
Thanks Alex. the cameras are twins. probably are errors on reading files.

10-19-2016, 10:39 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K3 and K3 II have exactly the same sensor. I think the thing is that there is some range of error in the tests and some range of variability in the sensor performance. So the K3 may have been a slight better copy of the same sensor, but there is some range that these sensors will perform in.

The best thing would be if DXO Mark would test ten or twenty copies of each camera and then publish the median performance, but as it is we get the results from one test copy and that may look awesome or not so good, depending on the copy they get.