Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2016, 02:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tracking focus for subject approaching the camera

This isn't a question about settings but just wanted to know if others experience it as well.
I have the K3 set up for continuous autofocus, max frames per second. try it out at a ball game and it captured lots of action shots, mostly people running.
the other day my family was coming back from a walk in the woods and I thought it would be a breeze capturing them walking towards me. boy I was wrong! the autofocus would not track... I kept having to quickly lock focus with my finger moving quickly to the half way point of the shutter.
the conditions were actually darker at the ball game then were the walk took place
has anyone else experience this? you literally have to "wake up" the focus with rapid finger movement. I have used the back button to focus in the past but the camera would act the same

both situations used the same lens and settings

any opinions welcomed!

Thanks

Randy

11-16-2016, 02:37 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah capturing action shots were the subject is moving in a lateral direction is way easier than focusing on an incoming subject. Pentax's AF system really lags behind here. You can do it, but boy is it tough. They make you work for it. I know this from experience trying to photograph my dogs running straight at me and I have a K3 too. Alot also depends on the lenses you are using. If you are using a star lens with SDM good luck. Fortunately for me this a rather rare occurrence so it doesn't really bother me too much.
11-16-2016, 02:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't usually shoot fast moving people or objects so I can't speak from experience, but two possible issues might be that:
1. Depending in your position during the game, the players most of the time might run sideways and not towards or away from you.
2. The clothes (tricots) of the players might where more colorful and therefore a better target for the AF system.
11-16-2016, 03:22 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Position tracking does not work well with slow motion because of the time interval for metering speed of the subject. AF tracking is for fast motion, but not too fast so that the lens AF actuation can follow. There is a range of subject speed that can be tracked very well. Outside this range (too slow, or two fast), AFC tracking does not work well. For photographing subjects in slow motion, either use AFS (if very slow) or use AFC single shot first frame focus priority.

11-16-2016, 03:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Position tracking does not work well with slow motion because of the time interval for metering speed of the subject. AF tracking is for fast motion, but not too fast so that the lens AF actuation can follow. There is a range of subject speed that can be tracked very well. Outside this range (too slow, or two fast), AFC tracking does not work well. For photographing subjects in slow motion, either use AFS (if very slow) or use AFC single shot first frame focus priority.
thanks
I was using afc first frame focus priority and the rest of the frames fps priority.
of course the second setting doesn't matter if you can't lock focus on the first frame
When using afs by the time it would lock in, the subject moved just enough to loose focus
Does anyone else need to "wake up" the autofocus in order to lock focus with afc?

Thanks
Randy
11-16-2016, 05:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

This drives me nuts some days, I have missed so many shots because it will focus on the wrong thing but it can be done. I'm sure some of it is user error but it can't always be.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
11-16-2016, 09:03 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
of course the second setting doesn't matter if you can't lock focus on the first frame
Ah... that's not my understanding. In FPS priority, the AF tracking works continuously, attempting to reduce focus error on moving target, but the shutter is not synchronized with AF lock. At least, that's the way AF tracking is implemented on the 7D, and from my experience with the K3, it's the same.

---------- Post added 17-11-16 at 05:07 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
This drives me nuts some days, I have missed so many shots because it will focus on the wrong thing but it can be done. I'm sure some of it is user error but it can't always be.
yes, the problem is, AF has improved a lot with the latest DFA lenses released by Ricoh, especially with the DFA150-450, it's like night and day compared to lenses released by Pentax. I'll not surprise that AF tracking is a hit or miss with DA560.

11-17-2016, 09:09 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Do'h! This is basically the same issue with my K-50. It's hopeless at shooting subjects coming at me or going away from me even in broad daylight. Even people walking at a regular pace towards me can be a struggle at times depending on the light/shadow. Forget about autofocusing a similar situation in low light. I have to manually focus the lens & maybe I'll get a couple of decent shots. I've tried all kinds of AF settings & combos on the K-50 too. It's probably worse on the K-50 compared to the K-3, though.

This is why I have to borrow my dad's Nikon D7200 on occasion. It hardly struggles at all when doing that type of photography.

I wonder if the K-3II with the latest firmware handles moving subjects towards the camera & away from the camera better? I've been on the fence about getting a K-3II or holding out for the next generation APS-C flagship with hopes of better AF. Hmmm.....

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 11-17-2016 at 09:14 AM.
11-19-2016, 09:27 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I wonder if the K-3II with the latest firmware handles moving subjects towards the camera & away from the camera better?
I posted a sequence here, as I said there I rarely just spam like that so it wasn't cherry picked but rather typical of what I get. I am quite happy with that level of performance, and in that particular case I think it was my error of panning and not the camera's fault that it lost track for a few frames. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/333366-af-c-tracking-test.html
11-19-2016, 11:50 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
I posted a sequence here, as I said there I rarely just spam like that so it wasn't cherry picked but rather typical of what I get. I am quite happy with that level of performance, and in that particular case I think it was my error of panning and not the camera's fault that it lost track for a few frames. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/333366-af-c-tracking-test.html
in my case there was no panning involved. if the subject is fast enough to have to pan for, it does a much better job then someone slowly walking towards me

Randy
11-21-2016, 03:54 PM   #11

Supposedly, K-3II improved autofocus tracks objects coming towards the camera, better than K-3.
11-21-2016, 04:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Amoon Quote
Supposedly, K-3II improved autofocus tracks objects coming towards the camera, better than K-3.
I would really love to see Pentax make a full blown APS-C sport model. do everything well but put sports first. why sports? first priority would be focus.

Randy
11-21-2016, 04:42 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the meantime, you might want to try this:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/38-photographic-technique/236970-perfect-...everytime.html
I always had trouble with oncoming subjects ... I am still hoping that Ricoh/Pentax will one day have a better AF-C tracking system.
11-21-2016, 05:02 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/38-photographic-technique/236970-perfect-...everytime.html
I always had trouble with oncoming subjects ... I am still hoping that Ricoh/Pentax will one day have a better AF-C tracking system.

??

Then how was this possible?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/334240-pentax-af...ml#post3832750
11-21-2016, 05:04 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I have tried the back focus button... I still need to keep "waking It up" to continue to lock focus.
I know there are many wedding photographers that have no issues as they have more talent, but I am not sure I would trust the K3 with the bride coming down the church procession.

Randy

---------- Post added 11-21-16 at 07:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
clackers were you able to keep the focus button pushed in without re locking continuously it as the subject came towards you?