Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2016, 07:13 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just saw the firmware upgrade announcement thread. So, I suppose my earlier post about the K-3 not being able to use KAF4 lenses may be annulled, as long as the user upgrades to the new firmware.

11-23-2016, 07:23 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Personally I like the built-in gps. You can use the O-GPS1 unit but then you can not mount a flash. The pixel shift feature is a nice bonus too. Either way you can not go wrong. A good used K3 will be a nice investment.
11-23-2016, 07:26 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Some have suggested that with everyone else using electronic apertures, including the lenses Pentatians drool over, the various 150-600s, are electronic aperture. Theoretically, the right connections with a software conversion would be all it would take. But who knows?
11-23-2016, 11:06 PM - 1 Like   #19

Original Poster
Hi I am in no hurry to get anymore lens as I have a 50mm macro 90mm macro 19/ 35 f3.5 28/80 f2.8 80/200 f2.8 300mm mirror 1.4 & 2x tele . I had these lens for ages & dont need any more + not willing to buy any other than if the break / stolen .
I dont use built in flash & I dont shoot stars etc any more . ( had a lets say close encounter of the feral type ( person s) 1 too may times)
I am thinking of buying s/hand a K3 . To me cameras like cars why buy new when some one always wants the latest & greatest & ready to sell last years model. LOL
Thanks all for the input

11-24-2016, 08:12 AM   #20
Pentaxian

It's great camera, I'm sure you're going to love it. You won't believe how it brings those lenses to life.
11-24-2016, 10:56 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by gzub Quote
I would go for k3 and saved money would put into some extra equipment , lenses or filters. Improvements in k3 II aren't worth putting more money for it. It's the same image sensor and same autofocus .
According to the official website, K-3II has faster and better autofocus:

"The K-3 II uses a 27-point (25 cross-type points) AF system used in the K-3. By combining this with the latest AF algorithm, the AF has increased its speed. With Continuous AF (AF.C), tracking of subjects that move toward the depth direction is improved. The synergy with the PENTAX Real-time Scene Analysis System makes AF shooting of moving objects smooth and easy..."
11-24-2016, 02:35 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I would still recommend the K-3II as far as the Pentax aps-c choice.

11-24-2016, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Amoon Quote

"The K-3 II uses a 27-point (25 cross-type points) AF system used in the K-3. By combining this with the latest AF algorithm, the AF has increased its speed. With Continuous AF (AF.C), tracking of subjects that move toward the depth direction is improved. The synergy with the PENTAX Real-time Scene Analysis System makes AF shooting of moving objects smooth and easy..."
Interesting, but no one so far has noticed the difference as far as I know. We await a report from a user. There are differences that make a difference, and there are differences that don't.
11-25-2016, 06:19 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Amoon Quote

Wouldn't it be nice if part of the "unspecified changes to firmware v1.30 would be the "latest AF algorithm".

Larry
11-25-2016, 06:42 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Wouldn't it be nice if part of the "unspecified changes to firmware v1.30 would be the "latest AF algorithm".

Larry
Only if it actually makes a difference.
11-25-2016, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #26
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robert52 Quote
Hi I am thinking of buying either new or s/hand a Pentax K3 / K3II to upgrade from my K7.
I was wondering basically the only difference between the 2 is GPS rather than built in flash a slightly faster FPS .
Is there any thing else different between them?
To be honest I dont use the built in flash & dont see any great need ( to me ) for the GPS ( I know you can buy a ad on GPS )
Thanks
Hi Robert,

I was where you are now just a few short weeks ago. To make a long story short, I upgraded from my K30 and went with the K3ii. The reason for me was simple. I'm a sucker for the latest technology and I purchased mine from B&H which came with a battery grip thrown in free of charge. Since I would have wanted one of these eventually, I figured the $849 (no tax) purchase price with free shipping and if you subtract the retail value of the battery grip, I actually came away with a very nice deal. I'm still getting used to this camera but the jump up from my k30 is unreal! This may be my last big purchase, camera wise, so I went with something I thought would satisfy my wants and needs and as I grow will be able to get me further down the road. I would have loved to get the K1 but that one fell short as I wasn't quite able to convince the wife that the extra $1,000 would be worth it in the long run...Damn! LOL
My only dilemma now is trying to find a 3rd party flash for it that's around $150. Cactus seems like a possibility but this process is harder than picking out the camera! It never ends...
Good luck...
12-06-2016, 02:38 PM   #27
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
This improvement into autofocus system is nothing that significant comparing to one in K3.
12-09-2016, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote

Larry
There is no hardware difference, as far as I can tell, so it is quite possible that the two bodies now have the same AF algorithm (which probably wasn't much of a change in the first place). If I was a Ricoh manager - having one body still offered for sale and the other sold out - silence regarding the upgrade might bolster sales among those who are weighing the decision (such as the OP).
12-09-2016, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

I'm of the opinion that the K-3 is a far, FAR better buy at the moment. Yes the II has a couple of extras, but they are entirely comparable in most every other way, yet the new price of a K-3II is nearly double that of older version, and I'm sorry but the K-3II is absolutely not twice the camera the K-3 is. Buy some better glass instead. (Or an excellent condition LX for that matter. )
12-09-2016, 05:21 PM   #30
Forum Member

Hi Robert52,

I was in your shoes back in the spring and was just moving to Pentax. I went for the K3 because it had the built in flash and thought it would save me money from having to buy a flash. But truth be told, I'm not a big fan of on-camera flash and the K3 takes great pictures without it. I haven't been monitoring prices lately, but if the K3II can be had for a good price I'd go for it. I think that gps, pixel-shift, and the ability to take night sky photos far outweigh the built-in flash.
Just my thoughts.
Take care,
Newfie