Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-26-2016, 08:32 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Shooting RAW versus JPG with the K-3

I was recently photographing the installation of a new clergy at our church. I shoot RAW+ storing RAW on one of the SD cards and JPG on the other SD chip. The JPG images allow me to quickly triage my images prior to importing the RAW images to Lightroom.

Aside from easier post-processing with RAW, today I found a couple more reasons to shoot RAW. I used Windows 10's photo viewer and Snipping Tool to grab a piece of the JPG straight out of the camera (1st image - max quality, bright setting) and the same RAW image (2nd image -PP applied).

Auto white balance on the JPG was pretty close to my PP'ed RAW. To me it is pretty obvious the RAW image retains more detail, but not so much that it might matter to a JPG only shooter.

However, the surprise is that the K-3 may occasionally slightly crop its JPG images. If you look at the right side of the images, you will see the RAW image includes a vertical woodwork detail missing from the JPG. This isn't consistent, but that it happens at all is a surprise.I opened the JPG in a variety of viewers just to make sure.

Attached Images

11-26-2016, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

That crop is most likely due to in-camera lens corrections - hence it will change according to the lens and, if it's a zoom, the focal length used
11-26-2016, 08:49 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I think you are correct. I was using the 18-135 with distortion correction on... however, I did shoot several frames at at least approximately the same focal length. And I do turn on Lightroom's lens correction with the profile loaded for the 18-135. Now I am going to have to dig deeper into this (as soon as I get time).

Thanks ??? for the reply @BigMackCam
11-26-2016, 10:01 AM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

One thing to bear in mind is that the in-camera lens correction profile and the Lightroom profile for that lens will be different, so that could explain why cropping in straight out of camera JPEGs differs from the RAWs in Lightroom with corrections applied (which one is better, I don't know).

11-26-2016, 10:50 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have shot Raw+. I did find it was useful to have the raw file per its characteristics, but now that I know how to use settings to provide the image I want using JPEG with no post processing, I find it space and time saving to shoot JPEG by itself in certain situations.