Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-09-2016, 03:08 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Help me understand Av mode and Auto ISO on the K-3

Just got a K-3, coming from a K-30:
On my K-30, I mainly use Av mode. I set my ISO parameters. When I shoot, I adjust my aperture, and as I do so, the shutter speed and the ISO changes while measuring both light and lens focal length. The longer the focal length, the faster the shutter and the higher the ISO. The camera is figuring out optimal values and it works very well.

This is apparently NOT how things work with the K-3. I've looked through the K-3 manual, and it is very little help on this matter. I've looked through the threads here, and I'm trying to confirm what's going on with the K-3.

In Av mode on the K-3, as I change the aperture, the shutter speed changes but not the ISO even though I have chosen Auto ISO. I can hit the ISO button and change the ISO which will change the shutter speed, of course, but there doesn't seem to be any interaction of shutter, aperture, and ISO as on my K-30.

Am I missing something? Did I hit a wrong button? Does something need to be changed in the menu system? Or is this just a difference between the K-30 and K-3?

I can us TAv, and the Auto ISO floats just fine, but then I'm needing to keep my eye on both shutter and aperture.

If I go to P mode, it says "Av Hyper" on the rear LCD, but it seems to work identically to Av mode.

Is there a way to set a User setting to reduplicate what I'm used to on the K-30? I.e., I control aperture, and the camera will adjust shutter and ISO (within the set parameters) in relation to light and focal length?

Thanks for any help...

12-09-2016, 03:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is it possible that your Auto ISO limit is set weird? I upgraded from a K-30 to a K-1 and had to both change the ISO AUTO Setting under the first camera menu, AND add Auto ISO to the Memory section on the fifth camera menu.
12-09-2016, 03:54 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yup, you can configure the upper and lower bounds for the auto ISO range, as well as how quickly the camera starts adjusting the ISO.

All this is in the main menu

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-09-2016, 04:04 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Is it possible that your Auto ISO limit is set weird?
...or something else in the settings?* What you are describing is not the usual behavior. Since you purchased your K-3 used, it might be good to do a general reset (menu/setup3/reset) along with custom functions reset (menu/C4/Reset Custom Functions). That should return the camera to close to factory settings. You may then go through the menus and set things up according to your needs. The user manual and "recommended settings" on this site can serve as a guide.

Pentax K-3 Review - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Steve

* The most probable culprit is the Auto ISO settings in menu/rec2/ISO Auto. The default setting is most predictable.

12-09-2016, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As others indicated that is odd. I use mine in fixed and auto ISO frequently with Av mode with my k-3. One thing that stumped me was how to get back to auto. Press ISO button and then while still pressing that press the green button. Otherwise go into the menus which really is slow by comparison.
12-09-2016, 05:46 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
As others indicated that is odd. I use mine in fixed and auto ISO frequently with Av mode with my k-3. One thing that stumped me was how to get back to auto. Press ISO button and then while still pressing that press the green button. Otherwise go into the menus which really is slow by comparison.
Bless you, UncleVanya! I had worked through everything else, but you correctly identified the issue. It works as expected now! If you push the ISO button and then use the rear dial, it kicks it out of Auto ISO. Push the ISO button and then the green button puts it back into Auto ISO.
Thanks again!
12-09-2016, 06:22 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You guys are good!

Really cool when someone get their problem solved so quickly by all you skilled individuals, and you know who you are

12-09-2016, 06:30 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mgvh Quote
Bless you, UncleVanya! I had worked through everything else, but you correctly identified the issue. It works as expected now! If you push the ISO button and then use the rear dial, it kicks it out of Auto ISO. Push the ISO button and then the green button puts it back into Auto ISO.
Thanks again!
I got that answer from the school of hard knocks. Lol.