Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2017, 05:45 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Focusing Issues K3.

Hi All.

My K3 has recently had some issues with locking on and letting me release the shutter with my 150-450 (I often have to switch to manual focus to release the shutter). The camera is about three years old and has been through some pretty rough times from high humidity in Costa Rica to very dusty times in Australia. I haven't updated the software on it either. Can I expect with the updated software and professional cleaning that I can expect improved focusing performance? If so where have you (in the US) been getting your K3's cleaned up, and about how much does that run?

Thanks!

Doug

01-12-2017, 06:50 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Are you attempting to focus on a close item when the lens focus range limiter is set to (say) 6m=inf?
This may not be your problem, but it has caught me out a couple of time.

Cheers,
Terry
01-12-2017, 08:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I don't think so, but its possible. I'll be more vigilant next time.
01-13-2017, 05:38 AM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It could be that the phase-detect AF sensor has dust or debris on it. The sensor is at the bottom of the mirror box. Lock the mirror up as if you were going to clean the sensor then, using a bulb-style blower pointed at the phase detect sensor, give it a few blasts of air. Even better if you hold the camera with the mount facing down, so gravity can work its magic on any dislodged dust / debris. Give it a try, it may resolve the problem.

01-13-2017, 06:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The fault may not be with the camera. AF problems are commonly lens related. Does this happen with other lenses? Have you tried to AF Adjust the 150-450? Focus that is slightly off will prevent the camera from releasing the shutter.

I would definitely recommend a software upgrade, but I doubt that will resolve the focus issue you are having.