Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-19-2017, 06:00 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How did this happen? Multiple exposure...

I bought a used K-3 a month or so ago and have already put nearly 2000 pics on it. It really is a big step up from my K-30.
I've not had any problems until...
I was shooting artefacts in a museum. I was with a group, and so I had to move rather quickly, and I wasn't checking out each shot as I went.
When I had time later to check my shots, all is fine for the first 20 shots or so, then...
I have 7 shots that are all mutiple exposure, then a normal single exposure, then 2 multiple exposures, then a normal single, then a multiple exposure.... and that's when I happened to check a shot and saw what was going on.
Somehow the exposure mode got into multiple exposure (which I have never used before), and I have never had an issue like this on any of my previous cameras. When I checked, I saw that indeed it was on multiple exposure (composite: average; 5 exposures), so I lost a lot of pictures I had taken, since the composites were a jumble of images. I certainly don't remember accidentally pushing any button to switch mode, and I'm trying to figure out how it switched to multiple > single > multiple > single...

What am I missing? Did I accidentally bump some button? Getting from single to multiple would take hitting the exposure button then moving 6 times to the right or 3 times to the left, so that certainly is not an accident?

The camera performed wonderfully the rest of the time, but this confuses me, and I don't want to repeat it. Thanks for any insight.

01-19-2017, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

As it's a used unit, check none of the buttons have been reprogrammed to allow one-touch access to multi-exposure. In any event might be worth doing a factory reset to ensure no other surprises are lurking.
01-19-2017, 09:16 AM   #3

Check the setting on the button on top of the menu controls. The one that allows you to select single, multiple, remote, etc. Sorry, my camera is at home and I don't recall the name. Near the right is a setting for multiple exposures. If that is turned on it will do this. The reason for the odd number of exposures is due to the time between shots. If you turn off the camera or let it idle for a long time, it will save the current set of exposures and start a new one. I had this happen at my mother-in-laws funeral and didn't realize it. I thought something was wrong with the camera and I missed a lot of family pictures because I couldn't figure it out.

This might not be the cause but it is the first logical place to check.
01-19-2017, 09:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kchamber4 Quote
Check the setting on the button on top of the menu controls. The one that allows you to select single, multiple, remote, etc. Sorry, my camera is at home and I don't recall the name. Near the right is a setting for multiple exposures. If that is turned on it will do this. The reason for the odd number of exposures is due to the time between shots. If you turn off the camera or let it idle for a long time, it will save the current set of exposures and start a new one. I had this happen at my mother-in-laws funeral and didn't realize it. I thought something was wrong with the camera and I missed a lot of family pictures because I couldn't figure it out.

This might not be the cause but it is the first logical place to check.
Yes, that's what I meant by having to click on the exposure button and then either move 6 right or 3 left to get to multiple exposure, but I don't see how I could have accidentally done that.
You did clarify why it seemed that some of the multiple exposures were only 2 images and seem 3 or 4 or 5. Thanks for noting that delaying long enough between shots causes it to be saved.
So... it's possible (probable) that somehow it got to multiple exposure, and those single shot images in the mix were due to a long enough delay. That explains that anomaly. Thanks!

QuoteQuote:
@JohnX: As it's a used unit, check none of the buttons have been reprogrammed to allow one-touch access to multi-exposure. In any event might be worth doing a factory reset to ensure no other surprises are lurking.
Yeah, I did that, and I've checked the buttons, and they all function as expected. I keep the mode dial locked, so I didn't accidentally slip into a user mode.

01-19-2017, 10:33 AM   #5

Post some examples with EXIF data intact.
01-19-2017, 05:16 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mgvh Quote
What am I missing? Did I accidentally bump some button? Getting from single to multiple would take hitting the exposure button then moving 6 times to the right or 3 times to the left, so that certainly is not an accident?
I find the K-3 II easy to bump the buttons on, much easier than the K-5 II, and that one is easier than the K-5;this is when carrying the camera with the strap over my shoulder. It can easily bump against my side, and the buttons can get pushed many times, screwing up the settings, unless I am careful.
01-20-2017, 12:12 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
I find the K-3 II easy to bump the buttons on, much easier than the K-5 II, and that one is easier than the K-5;this is when carrying the camera with the strap over my shoulder. It can easily bump against my side, and the buttons can get pushed many times, screwing up the settings, unless I am careful.
That's why there is the operation lock button on the K-1. I'm surprised this feature isn't on the K-3ii.

With a used camera it is best to do the factory reset on the menu settings and start as if it were a new camera.

Are these multiple exposures from multiple shutter activation on the same image or from camera movement during long exposures. Museum lighting can be quite dim to protect the objects. That's why posting a few examples with the relevant EXIF data intact would be helpful.

01-20-2017, 04:26 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have come to really appreciate the lock for the mode dial on the K-3 (compared to my K-30 where I do regularly accidentally switch it). An operation lock that you say the K-1 has would be helpful.
The issue is multiple shutter activation, not motion blur.
Here's a pic with EXIF.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-20-2017, 08:13 AM   #9

Definitely multiple shutter activations. The EXIF does not indicate it was shot in multiple exposure mode.

It is a PITA as you will lose most of you customizations but perhaps try the reset from the menu. But maybe first see if you can recreate the anomaly by reproducing the conditions as near as possible, e.g. same lens, settings, dim light -hurried shots.