Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2017, 07:19 PM   #1

Memory Cards for K-3ii

I'm just purchased a K-3ii and now it's time for acquiring the peripherals.. I cannot find anything in the specs, but is there a maximum speed (MB/s) or size (GB) for this camera - and what memory cards would you recommend? I want to purchase what I really need. Are any brands superior or inferior to others? I've generally been using SanDisk.

02-04-2017, 07:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum. This thread may be useful to you: K-3, K-3ll Compatible SD Cards. - PentaxForums.com
Some useful information here as well: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/216457-k5-max-size-sd-card.html

And see: http://support.us.ricoh-imaging.com/node/1804

Kind regards,
Mark
02-04-2017, 08:09 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Most people on the Forum seem to favour the SanDisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s. I've never had a problem with them.
02-05-2017, 04:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Most people on the Forum seem to favour the SanDisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s. I've never had a problem with them.
I do use these myself, but they are well over-specced for the job. The Sandisk Ultra are more than capable of matching the K-3II's write speed. The Extreme are 3x faster than necessary.

The reasons I use the Extreme are, a) I got them on offer for not much more than the Ultra, and b) they have improved environmental protection and warranty backup.

02-05-2017, 03:54 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm using both SanDisk Ultra (32GB) and SanDisk Extreme Pro (64GB) cards with no issue. The buffer write time to the Extreme Pro is faster - I'm saving in both RAW+ and JPG. Just doing a quick seat of the pants count of 1/1000, 2/1000, .... from pressing the shutter release to waiting for the light to stop flashing, it seems to flush out 2+ seconds quicker. I've never overflowed the buffer with the Ultra, but I like the faster response time of the Extreme Pro when reviewing pictures - I feel I can bring it up noticeably faster for review with the Extreme Pro card, which is nice. I had a 64GB G. Skill SDXC card that was flaky in both my K3II and my daughter's K70, so not sure if it was just an unhappy card or something else. I did redo partitioning and formatting on it to no avail, and returned it as defective and replaced it with the Extreme Pro from SanDisk, and that's now become my go to card.

Last edited by clickclick; 02-05-2017 at 04:18 PM. Reason: specific model of G Skill card added
02-07-2017, 05:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
I do use these myself, but they are well over-specced for the job. The Sandisk Ultra are more than capable of matching the K-3II's write speed. The Extreme are 3x faster than necessary.

The reasons I use the Extreme are, a) I got them on offer for not much more than the Ultra, and b) they have improved environmental protection and warranty backup.
I prefer the Extremes not for their write speed, but for their read speed. Makes importing into Lightroom a breeze.