Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2017, 09:22 PM - 1 Like   #1
Inactive Account

Using HDMI port for external LV monitor ?

Please forgive me for being so naïve , but why cant I use my HDMI port to have a bigger monitor for LV ?
I would just like a larger external monitor for some shots using LV.
I know there would ne no interface whatsoever , but there are times an external monitor with my wireless release would be a big help.
Has anyone tried this ?

02-07-2017, 09:50 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WestBug Quote
Please forgive me for being so naïve , but why cant I use my HDMI port to have a bigger monitor for LV ?
I know there would ne no interface whatsoever , but there are times an external monitor with my wireless release would be a big help.
Has anyone tried this ?
@LaurenOE uses a field monitor wired in via the HDMI port for her video work with the K-3. I have considered getting a field monitor for low level work and wired my K-3 into my wide-screen TV via HDMI as proof of concept. It works great. (See page 63 in the user manual for setup help.)

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-07-2017 at 10:09 PM.
02-07-2017, 10:06 PM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Has anyone tried this ?
That's what it's there for.

At times I use a 7" battery powered Lilliput monitor on a stand for focus and review.

You get to see all the camera settings you expect because it's not 'clean' output.
02-07-2017, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
@LaurenOE uses a field monitor wired in via the HDMI port for her video work with the K-3. I have considered getting a field monitor for low level work and wired my K-3 into my wide-screen TV via HDMI as proof of concept. It works great. (See page 63 in the user manual for setup help.)

Steve
Yep.

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
That's what it's there for.

At times I use a 7" battery powered Lilliput monitor on a stand for focus and review.

You get to see all the camera settings you expect because it's not 'clean' output.
Yep.

Has anyone tried this ?
No problem...and if you use a Zacuto/Z-Finder and a rail system you get an EVF too.

02-08-2017, 06:56 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
There appears to be a lot more monitors on B&H and Ebay or Amazon that look really good without breaking the bank.
Now to figure out which one and at what resolution I actually need.
Lots of nice looking stuff for less than $200 compared to a couple years ago.

I'm very excited to have this new found idea (to me anyway). Opens up a whole lot more possibilities with my K3II that lacks an articulating screen that I so much desire.
This may take me to new Heights ! Or actually new exciting Lows.....lol.

Last edited by WestBug; 02-08-2017 at 07:08 PM.
02-08-2017, 07:31 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There appears to be a lot more monitors on B&H and Ebay or Amazon that look really good without breaking the bank.
Now to figure out which one and at what resolution I actually need.
Lots of nice looking stuff for less than $200 compared to a couple years ago.

I'm very excited to have this new found idea (to me anyway). Opens up a whole lot more possibilities with my K3II that lacks an articulating screen that I so much desire.
This may take me to new Heights ! Or actually new exciting Lows.....lol.
You don't have to spend too much money either as the output from the HDMI is 720p at best.

02-08-2017, 08:24 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
You don't have to spend too much money either as the output from the HDMI is 720p at best.

Yep...the same resolution as the rear LCD.

Steve

02-08-2017, 09:15 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote

Then I wouldn't benefit from anything higher in resolution. Good to know this.Thanks.
02-09-2017, 08:19 AM   #9

Thanks for this post. I am hoping to start a headshot photog business and since the K-3 won't let you shoot tethered, I was thing a portable monitor would be a great option to preview the picture and make corrections. Also I think it would be a great tool to educate your client as well as get them comfortable and excited about the shoot.