Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-22-2017, 01:20 PM   #1
Forum Member

Repair/adjusting the AF in my K-3 (United States)

Hey, everybody!

I have a K-3, and I'm pretty sure the camera itself has some back-focusing issues.

I didn't really notice it when I first bought the camera, mostly because I was using is with the 18-250, and I think in increased DOF masked some of the back-focus.

Last year I bought a Tamron 70-200 f./2.8. I've noticed the back-focus when shooting wide open at the long end. I thought maybe it was just that lens, but then I tried some tests with my 50mm f/1.7, and I see it with that lens, as well.

I don't have a lot of fast lenses, but I did just buy a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, and now I'm worried and annoyed at the back focus.

I've dialed in the global Max +10 in the AF adjustment, and that helps some, but it still seems to focus about five or so feet behind the subject. I generally use center-point AF; I haven't done any comprehensive tests, but it appears to be worse when I use something other than center-point AF.

I'd like to send it into Pentax for assessment and adjustment, but I was surprised at the cost.

I went to Ricoh's site, and found this:
US Product Repair Service | Ricoh Imaging Support

That web page has a link to Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation - Service & Repair

Unfortunately, that site lists a single generic cost of $312.50.

That seems expensive, especially something that likely won't involve any replacement parts.

I tried contacting CRIS, but they apparently no longer service Pentax cameras.

I read some threads on the Debug Menu; some mentioned that it may allow AF adjustments greater than 10. But I was not able to get any specific confirmation on that, or any specific instructions on how to do it.

Has anyone used the debug menu to modify the AF adjustment?

Does anyone know of any other places in the U.S. that do Pentax repairs?

Thanks,

Greg

02-22-2017, 01:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's a link to the K-3 debug how-to,

Pentax K-3 Debug Menu FYI - PentaxForums.com

When I've poked around in my K-30's debug menu, I recall seeing a plainly labelled AF adjustment option.
02-22-2017, 01:39 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by gkreth Quote
Hey, everybody!

I have a K-3, and I'm pretty sure the camera itself has some back-focusing issues.

I didn't really notice it when I first bought the camera, mostly because I was using is with the 18-250, and I think in increased DOF masked some of the back-focus.

Last year I bought a Tamron 70-200 f./2.8. I've noticed the back-focus when shooting wide open at the long end. I thought maybe it was just that lens, but then I tried some tests with my 50mm f/1.7, and I see it with that lens, as well.

I don't have a lot of fast lenses, but I did just buy a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, and now I'm worried and annoyed at the back focus.

I've dialed in the global Max +10 in the AF adjustment, and that helps some, but it still seems to focus about five or so feet behind the subject. I generally use center-point AF; I haven't done any comprehensive tests, but it appears to be worse when I use something other than center-point AF.

I'd like to send it into Pentax for assessment and adjustment, but I was surprised at the cost.

I went to Ricoh's site, and found this:
US Product Repair Service | Ricoh Imaging Support

That web page has a link to Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation - Service & Repair

Unfortunately, that site lists a single generic cost of $312.50.

That seems expensive, especially something that likely won't involve any replacement parts.

I tried contacting CRIS, but they apparently no longer service Pentax cameras.

I read some threads on the Debug Menu; some mentioned that it may allow AF adjustments greater than 10. But I was not able to get any specific confirmation on that, or any specific instructions on how to do it.

Has anyone used the debug menu to modify the AF adjustment?

Does anyone know of any other places in the U.S. that do Pentax repairs?

Thanks,

Greg
We have a whole forum dedicated to repairs This sticky lists several other places that may be able to service your camera:
Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - PentaxForums.com

CRIS stopped working on Pentax gear over 2 years ago now. The new repair facility is Precision.

I'm not sure if they will actually charge you that much for a simple calibration, so I'd recommend contacting them. Contact info:
US Pentax Warranty Repair Information - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-22-2017, 02:38 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
When I've poked around in my K-30's debug menu, I recall seeing a plainly labelled AF adjustment option.
Interesting!

I found this link:
Resurrecting Pentax firmware hacking - PentaxForums.com

Specifically, this image:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/206...hacking-af.jpg

I'd like to find out what "AF Area Test" and "AF Area Number" mean.

Greg

---------- Post added 02-22-2017 at 04:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
We have a whole forum dedicated to repairs This sticky lists several other places that may be able to service your camera:
Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - PentaxForums.com
CRIS stopped working on Pentax gear over 2 years ago now. The new repair facility is Precision.
I'm not sure if they will actually charge you that much for a simple calibration, so I'd recommend contacting them. Contact info:
US Pentax Warranty Repair Information - PentaxForums.com
Thanks for this!

I guess I should contact Precision directly.

Good to know that there are other places, as well. Advance Camera in particular looks promising:
Lens Calibration - Auto Focus Fine Tuning | Advance Camera Inc.

Greg

02-22-2017, 03:17 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gkreth Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote

To the OP: Should you choose this option, I would suggest exercising great care while in the debug/service/development mode. There is potential to "brick" the camera.

Steve
02-22-2017, 08:15 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had the same problem as the OP (also with a K-3) with one or two lenses that I couldn't correct backfocus within the standard +10 range. I did go into the K-3 Debug mode and moved my starting focus correction point forward by the equivalent of +10 (I vaguely remember it may use a different scaling factor by a factor of 10 so a bit of conversion arithmatic may be involved). Now I can get the problematic lenses to correctly focus. The worst lens took an effective +14 to fully correct (+10 via Debug and subsequently +4 via the normal menu).

I was a comfortable user of the K-3 Debug feature as my prior camera was a K-x where the only focus correction option was via the Debug menu (and a global correction so every time I changed lenses it was a quick trip to the Debug menu to set the correction for the lens now in use). The necessary files to enter Debug mode on the K-x were a permanent install on all of my SD cards. Thankfully on the K-3, the trip into the Debug menu has been a once-off activity.

I worked on the theory that if I had sent my K-3 off for servicing, most likely that is all the technician would have done anyway.

To the OP, also read up on K-x focus correction as the relevant section of the Debug menu between the K-x and the K-3 is essentially the same.
02-23-2017, 01:18 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

just something to think about, my K30 was giving me some grief re adjusting front/back focus, I was getting inconsistent results, some times it seemed to work and at other times seemed ineffective, to the point where I'd just about given up on it, When I upgraded the firmware everything fell into line and the adjustment worked fine, giving consistent and repeatable results.

02-24-2017, 02:12 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
I've had the same problem as the OP (also with a K-3) with one or two lenses that I couldn't correct backfocus within the standard +10 range. I did go into the K-3 Debug mode and moved my starting focus correction point forward by the equivalent of +10 (I vaguely remember it may use a different scaling factor by a factor of 10 so a bit of conversion arithmatic may be involved). Now I can get the problematic lenses to correctly focus. The worst lens took an effective +14 to fully correct (+10 via Debug and subsequently +4 via the normal menu).

I was a comfortable user of the K-3 Debug feature as my prior camera was a K-x where the only focus correction option was via the Debug menu (and a global correction so every time I changed lenses it was a quick trip to the Debug menu to set the correction for the lens now in use). The necessary files to enter Debug mode on the K-x were a permanent install on all of my SD cards. Thankfully on the K-3, the trip into the Debug menu has been a once-off activity.

I worked on the theory that if I had sent my K-3 off for servicing, most likely that is all the technician would have done anyway.

To the OP, also read up on K-x focus correction as the relevant section of the Debug menu between the K-x and the K-3 is essentially the same.
Thanks so much for this post! I feel better knowing that someone has actually done this with the Debug menu.

I will read up on the K-x focus correction, and if i have any questions, I will reply or PM you (if you're OK with that).

Thanks again!

Greg

---------- Post added 02-24-2017 at 03:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
just something to think about, my K30 was giving me some grief re adjusting front/back focus, I was getting inconsistent results, some times it seemed to work and at other times seemed ineffective, to the point where I'd just about given up on it, When I upgraded the firmware everything fell into line and the adjustment worked fine, giving consistent and repeatable results.
OK, I should do this FIRST, before playing with the DEBUG stuff. I cannot recall what firmware version I'm at but if it isn't current, I should do that, first.

Thanks!

Greg
02-24-2017, 04:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If ypu have problem with the focus with Tamron lense then ,the problem is not with Pentax and you should contact I believe Tamron
02-25-2017, 09:10 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
If ypu have problem with the focus with Tamron lense then ,the problem is not with Pentax and you should contact I believe Tamron
Yes, but I'm having the problem with my Pentax F50 f/1.7, as well.

In fact, when I tested it with my Sigma 18-250 and Sigma 50-500, I noticed it there, as well. I just didn't notice it earlier, because the high DOF of those slower lenses masked the effect a bit. It wasn't until I started shooting with faster lenses that I noticed it.