Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2017, 05:48 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Count not accurate

My K-3ii, on a freshly formatted 32 gb card, will say there are approximately 600 or less images remaining for that card. Why can I shoot and fit almost 1000? I'm cant understand why there is such a difference between the top display count and the actual card count?

I shoot RAW on the first card and have the camera write a medium low quality JPEG to the second card.

03-01-2017, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

The camera's estimate is conservative -- based on the worst-case sizes of RAW or JPEG of whatever dimension and quality settings you've chosen. These larger sizes can occur with complex, high-dynamic range, and high-ISO images.

Would you rather the camera say you have room for 1000 but then run out of room after 600 shots?
03-01-2017, 11:25 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
The camera's estimate is conservative -- based on the worst-case sizes of RAW or JPEG of whatever dimension and quality settings you've chosen. These larger sizes can occur with complex, high-dynamic range, and high-ISO images.

Would you rather the camera say you have room for 1000 but then run out of room after 600 shots?
Thanks! It's good to know that it is estimating conservatively. But I guess I'd rather a slightly more accurate estimate. I understand the limitations that would require a conservative estimate though. Thanks again!
03-02-2017, 01:08 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

File sizes can vary hugely. It just is not possible for the camera to foresee what images you will take and so its best option is to assume the largest file size and estimate based on that, so that you won't be expecting more room than you have.

However, as the space gets used up, the estimate will get closer to reality. When it says there is one shot remaining, there probably is. When it says none remaining, there is certainly no more space.

03-02-2017, 03:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian

On a different note, surely the capacity is academic? Would you want to risk losing such a huge quantity of images?

Last edited by JohnX; 03-02-2017 at 04:33 AM.
03-02-2017, 08:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It uses a "worst case scenario". On my k5iis, I find raw files range from about 12MB to 34MB, with an average of about 23MB. The camera uses ~34MB/photo to estimate how many will fit on the card's remaining space.

If you're regularly fitting 1000 images where the camera says 600, just multiply the reported images remaining by 1.5 and this should still be conservative.

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
On a different note, surely the capacity is academic? Would you want to risk losing such a huge quantity of images?
With my single-slot camera, I use my sd cards as a temporary backup. At the end of each day, my sdcard is copied to my computer and my home backup. I don't erase the sdcard until I've updated to my offsite backup, so having several weeks worth of capacity on an sd card can be handy.

In any case, sd cards are pretty reliable. I'm not really worried if I have a few hundred images from the day living solely on one sdcard. If someone was paying me and it was more than just my disappointment on the line if my sdcard burst into flames, I'd probably be inclined to do on-the-fly backups.
03-02-2017, 09:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattieyp3 Quote
Thanks! It's good to know that it is estimating conservatively. But I guess I'd rather a slightly more accurate estimate. I understand the limitations that would require a conservative estimate though. Thanks again!
You're welcome!

If you'd like a more accurate image count capacity estimate such as for planning a long time-lapse, you can take a few test shots under the expected conditions to measure the likely file sizes. Note that if the time-lapse involves changes in ISO (e.g., higher ISO as the timelapse goes into night), make sure you take test shots at the highest expected ISO because those files tend to be the biggest.

Good luck!