Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2017, 06:33 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't recommend to use AUTO NOISE REDUCTION. It's always off in my pics, because it does not bring great results. Or use custom ISO NOISE RED. - I get info on this somewhere, and I customize to use Noise Reduction only in minimal mount, and after iso 3200.

Also, I love to shoot with JPG L ** and not *** because I get smaller file size, and quality is almost same, or same for my eyes. I'm not pixel peeper, so I love this mode.

About colors -
Pentax K3 can really messed up colors, in not so beatifull way. I recomend Natural mode, its far more usable, then AUTO, because AUTO can result with different colors in same situatios. You point your camera into fridge, or window, and same situation, will have different colors.

Not one proffesional photographer use WB AUTO in shooting because of this. Later is very difficult to get all shoots look even. It's just for non conventional occasional shoots.

Also every color mode you can customize, by your wishes

For instance, when you set Natural, or Portrait, you can assign different sharpness, warmness, saturation, and else... I notice my pics are little soft, so I've got sharpness increased a little.

For sharpness -

well, I suffered too from this illness when K3 came, into my hands, but this was crap kit lens, and also lack of knowledge how to use such big resolution to get excellent sharpness.

You must shoot with minimum 1/60 sec and turn on Image shake reduction . Even then, at those speed, you will notice, even slight moving can get you to the blur side.

Camera must be very still, your hands must not touch focus or zoom.

Besides that, if you use OVF, you must press focus button at least twice ! You cannot trust the first focus confirmation sound !

Focus area in mirror mode has very weak signal, and your focus will missed desirable area ! Specially in lower depth of fields, with apertures lower then 6.7 .

Push shooter button at least twice, and you will notice, lens will focus again, and better on second or third push. This would happen almost always.

I like to avoid this missfocusing whenever I can, so I like to put my lens on f-8 . It's still give me pretty decent isolated subject, and I'm not afraid of bllury photos. If you're in hurry, don't even bother with lower depths, because it will get you in missfocused trouble.

Hope this helps

Last edited by panonski; 03-29-2017 at 07:22 AM.
04-29-2017, 08:29 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What went wrong with my K3II?? Same problem here....

Last April I had the audacity to buy a K3II without having any experience whatsoever with a digital camera. Focusing is a real pain. However, I had assumed I was making some slow progress with a few lucky shots here and there. I don't use the camera all that much but yesterday I thought I was onto something when trying different AF Modes. Yea I was feeling myself until I saw the results , 9.5 out 0f 10 shots were all out of focus, i.e. the flowers.

Then took a couple shots with my Rokinon 14/2.8 but it was disastrous trash ( 2nd set of photos )

After that I tried DA35 Ltd and then DFA 50. Something is definitely off. And even the viewfinder looks different all of a sudden i.e. no EV bar scale, where did it go? Any suggestions?

Last edited by brightseal; 05-03-2017 at 07:25 PM.
04-30-2017, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by donlass Quote
Last April I had the audacity to buy a K3II without having any experience whatsoever with a digital camera. Focusing is a real pain. However, I had assumed I was making some slow progress with a few lucky shots here and there. I don't use the camera all that much but yesterday I thought I was onto something when trying different AF Modes. Yea I was feeling myself until I saw the results , 9.5 out 0f 10 shots were all out of focus, i.e. the flowers.

Then took a couple shots with my Rokinon 14/2.8 but it was disastrous trash ( 2nd set of photos )

After that I tried DA35 Ltd and then DFA 50. Something is definitely off. And even the viewfinder looks different all of a sudden i.e. no EV bar scale, where did it go? Any suggestions?
Do you wear glasses? Have you adjusted the diopter for the optical view finder to match your eyes (wearing your typical glasses, contacts, none)? Have you tried taking the same shot using Live View and comparing the results (uses a different AF system)?
04-30-2017, 06:21 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Do you wear glasses?
I'm sitting here laughing. Yes I wear reading glasses but don't use them when I shoot.

04-30-2017, 06:51 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by donlass Quote
I'm sitting here laughing. Yes I wear reading glasses but don't use them when I shoot.
Okay - I know others with glasses have complained about not seeing the data area in the optical viewfinder - or if they wear multi-focal glasses like I do, not making sure they always use the same focal distance of their lenses and setting the camera's diopter for that part of their glasses.

Assuming you can still see the data area in the optical viewfinder, I think trying the same shot using the optical viewfinder and then using Live View and comparing the results is the next step in the troubleshooting process. If you cannot see the data area, I am suspicious that your mirror is not fully dropping into its lower position.
04-30-2017, 07:36 AM   #21
mee
Veteran Member

All of your K-3ii shots look out of focus.. check the AF microadjust.

But, even before you do that, set the camera on a tripod, use center focus point, live view, let the camera focus, take a photo with a 2 second timer. The liveview's focus system is slower but 'better' than OVF's PDAF at focusing.. if your images are sharp there then the issue is with AF microadjustment and/or technique.

Btw your K20D shots on the first page were all shot at f/22 while your K-3ii shots look to be around f/6.3 to f/7.1 so that is also another factor as to why your old K20D shots look so infocus you're shooting a a tiny aperture with it.
04-30-2017, 07:58 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AF microadjustment and/or technique

Last edited by brightseal; 04-30-2017 at 07:49 PM.
05-03-2017, 03:09 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
if your images are sharp
What if they are not ?