Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2017, 07:27 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K3II Mirror Flap

So, I was merrily taking pictures in single shot mode the other day, and suddenly my mirror went nuts flapping. I'd say it lasted 2-3 seconds. By the time I took the camera away from my eye and lowered it to look at the back screen, it had stopped. I was using an M42 mount lens in Av mode, and the camera was now prompting me to input the focal length like I had just turned it on. I hit the "OK" button on the displayed focal length, and went about my way, and it did not repeat. I had a Pentax brand battery in it with at least 3/4 charge, if not more. I've got the latest firmware update, and my S/N is 6295621, so I think it is after the initial release that I believe did have some issues. I've taken upwards of 10K trouble free shots with the camera, so I'm thinking this is a one time anomaly, but I am wondering what others have experienced and any input on the situation?

Thanks

03-26-2017, 08:39 AM   #2

How old is your battery? This happened to my secondhand k3 with the old battery but hasn't happened since I replaced it - fingers crossed.
03-26-2017, 09:18 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
it happened to me once, or twice. But I remember it the first time. It was when camera was 2 months in use (first firmware installed). I had sigma 17-50 mounted. Original full charge battery. And it lasted exactly how you described it. I just ignored it and continued on with the session. I do not know what to think of it.
03-26-2017, 09:23 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It happens with the k-3. Make sure your firmware is up to date. If I remember correctly there was an update that reset the camera if this happened thus stopping it. I used my k-3 for several years with around 40,000 images and had it happen twice.

If it starts happening regularly you will need to send it in for service but once only I would not worry about it at all. But it is really scary when it happens.

03-26-2017, 10:26 AM   #5

This happened to me only once on a K-3 when I had a Sigma 10-20 attached and I had to remove the battery to stop it. It was just before the new firmware came out to reduce/stop it.
03-26-2017, 11:57 AM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I had the mirror flap once or twice on my K-3. The first time, the mirror got stuck half way through its cycle when I took the battery out and I had to help it back into position. That was worrying The second time, if I remember correctly, was shortly after a firmware update... I got the short, rapid burst of flapping and then it sorted itself out. Two occasions out of many thousands of shots... I can live with that
03-26-2017, 12:08 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alnjpn Quote
How old is your battery? This happened to my secondhand k3 with the old battery but hasn't happened since I replaced it - fingers crossed.

The battery is probably close to a year old. I've got three OEM Pentax batteries, and two after market ones. I rotate them following a FIFO sequence on use and charging, so I don't think it's had that many clicks on it, but I can put a mark on this one to track it so if it happens again, I can see if it's the same battery or not.

This is all sounding hopeful that it's a one time thing.

Thanks for all the input.

Last edited by clickclick; 05-22-2017 at 08:18 AM.
03-26-2017, 12:38 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

May be check this:
Pentax K-3 II Service Advisory - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com
04-07-2017, 05:00 AM   #9
Pentaxian

This is an old issue with only a few reported incidents. It happened to mine once and never happened again (fingers crossed). However, it's different compared to the K-3 mirror flap issue. The service advisory referred by bwgv001 is about unresponsive on/off switch regardless of camera settings and consistent freezing when accessing the GPS menu. I don't know if this has anything to do with the K-3II's mirror flap issue. I also don't know if the latest firmware update for the PLM lenses includes correction for this error. I myself am hoping that this is nothing serious. So far, like I said, it hasn't happened again.
05-21-2017, 11:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I just experienced the dreaded mirror flapping on my secondhand K3II. Is this a major problem for some people or is it typically a rare event?
05-21-2017, 01:19 PM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
I just experienced the dreaded mirror flapping on my secondhand K3II. Is this a major problem for some people or is it typically a rare event?
Typically very rare
05-21-2017, 02:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Typically very rare
Thank you. Since I posted that message I had the camera lock up on me. I had to remove the battery and that seemed to fix it. I wonder if I got a lemon.
05-21-2017, 10:33 PM   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
Thank you. Since I posted that message I had the camera lock up on me. I had to remove the battery and that seemed to fix it. I wonder if I got a lemon.
Have you updated it to the latest firmware?
05-22-2017, 08:21 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
If it happens again, I'd also swap out the battery.

So far, I've only had the one occurrence of flap I originally posted about.
05-29-2017, 11:47 PM   #15
Forum Member

It happened to me on holiday in New Zealand. My K3ii is about 8 months old on the latest firmware. Only happened once.