Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-27-2017, 07:46 PM   #1

Best battery?

What is the best value battery for the K3?
Pentax DLI90? Or some aftermaket brand?
Thanks

04-27-2017, 07:56 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The OEM batteries IMO, Wasabi ones are good if you're looking at third party.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-27-2017, 08:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What Adam said. The OEM ones are better in my experience. The Wasabi ones are OK, but do not last as long. Maybe 80%. But they are far cheaper.
04-28-2017, 04:03 AM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
Just ordered the Pentax. Thanks

04-28-2017, 05:02 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Something I have noticed about batteries when shopping for a replacement for my phone is a trade-off between capacity and number of recharge cycles. For a given package size, an increase in one is a decrease in the other.

Folks who do high-volume daily shooting probably place more value on the number of shots they can make between battery swaps; even if they have to purchase new batteries more often. Low-volume daily shooters probably rarely exhaust a battery between recharges and place more value on the life-span of the battery. So in my opinion you need to look at your shooting habits when choosing batteries.

Considering only quality batteries, what I tend to see is after market batteries tend to tout their higher capacity than OEM equipment manufacturers - but it is usually tough to find those batteries' rating on number of recharge cycles. I don't know about Pentax batteries, but in general finding the full specs on OEM batteries tends to be easier - and often offer more recharge cycles than after market batteries.
05-01-2017, 10:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I've had hit and miss with Wasabi for a variety of applications, but not more than about 80% capacity of OEM. Unlike most generics, the Wasabi batteries seem to be long lived.

In my experience, the only OEM comparable is the Pearstone / Watson line offered by B&H. In the D-LI90 Pearstone version, I'm finding it has similar capacity and the life might actually be even more durable than OEM in the K-3 (and K-01).

A Nikon fellow opened up a Watson and Wasabi to find that the IC controllers were identical but the cells differed. Not surprising. I think Pearstone / Watson, Wasabi and DSTE likely come out of the same factory. Whoever markets Pearstone / Watson might require a higher spec cell. I'm very confident in those cells, and feel that the pricing - around half of OEM - makes it the better value with no concerns about quality.
05-15-2017, 08:34 AM   #7

I'm looking to get an ekstra battery for my K3 II, I had the K5 for years with the OEM battery still going strong, I don't see the Pearstone over here in Denmark, so I'll just get the Pentax and from experience it'll keep be shooting. Might at some point get additional batteries with third party but for now I 2 batteries should be plenty. This seen in th light that I don't use portrait grip, with the DA * 60-250 I can rotate the body via the collar when it's on the tripod which works fine for me. I don't need the grip for limiteds that I own. So not having the AA battery option means I need reliable batteries, added bonus the whole kit is more compact for travel..

07-10-2017, 03:08 AM   #8

Being in Europe I got some from amazon.co.uk (Energizer EZ-DLi90 and Hama DP381, get one which is cheaper/on offer).
You may check amazon.de, i.e.:
amazon.de/ANSMANN-5044643-Digicam-1600mAh-Digitalkamera/dp/B002XBXYSY

-----
QuoteOriginally posted by Brent35 Quote
over here in Denmark
07-10-2017, 07:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
not sure if its any indication but....
both of my wasabi batteries for my K30 started to swell (slightly) after 6ish months of use. Pentax battery is fine.

I recently forgot to pull one of my OEM batteries from my shorts, and it went through a wash cycle. (cold) Put it in a sunny window sill for a couple days, and it takes a charge with no issue. Time will tell if capacity is affected at all. But i can't notice much of a difference right now.

so, yeah, im my opinion, pentax batteries are held to a (much) higher quality standard.